Level of interest in redistributing/receiving plants from Chicago landscapers

Pauline R

Sep 29, 2016, 12:04:37 PM9/29/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hello all,

I noticed that in numerous neighborhoods on the Far North Side and in the Loop, the same two dozen or so plants are used for Spring landscaping.  Some of these are true annuals, but others are cold hardy perennials or perennials that will survive indoors.  Now that Halloween is nearing, lots of straw bales are on display that could be broken up and used for mulch in November.  As far as I know, the majority of this usable plant material is destined for trash/compost, and I'd like to see if it can be redistributed to community gardens, schools, etc, rather than thrown out.

About two months ago, I started contacting several Chambers of Commerce, because they're responsible for some of this landscaping.  Three confirmed that the plants were going to be thrown out/composted when it came time to change the plantings.  Two said their landscapers could deliver the plants to a pre-determined location.  However, I didn't have enough time to arrange a plant redistribution like I wanted to.

I'd like to gauge the level of interest people have for redistributing and/or receiving plants and related materials from Chicago landscapers, with the aim of everything being free.  My idea is to do something similar the CCGA plant giveways.  Ideally, it would work like this: On the date(s) that landscapers pull plants, the landscapers would transport certain types of pulled plants to a pre-determined location and drop them off there.  The giveaway event would be held the same day, and at the end of the day, any remaining unclaimed plants/materials would be removed by these same landscaping companies or another entity.  Landscaping companies would be compensated by the Chambers of Commerce who hire them and in return, those Chambers of Commerce could arrange tax deductions from AUA and/or whatever nonprofit or city agency is responsible for hosting the plant giveaway.  This way, there are participant incentives for the landscaping companies and for those who hire them.

Plant redistribution sites would be chosen based on their ability to temporarily store a very large volume of plants for free and have free parking available nearby for participants.

What do people think of my ideas?  Has anyone tried to do something like this before?

Thanks!

Kate Peltz

Sep 29, 2016, 4:55:00 PM9/29/16
to Pauline R, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
I just found out that there's a group called Chicago Plant Rescue who's doing a lot of this same work! Check em out.
--
For more urban agriculture news, information and opportunities, visit AUA at http://auachicago.org/
---

Rachel Azz

Sep 29, 2016, 5:04:15 PM9/29/16
to Kate Peltz, Pauline R, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
I am always interested in free. that is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
rachel azzarello

cat...@gmail.com

jaclyn castellanos

Sep 30, 2016, 6:12:39 PM9/30/16
to cat...@gmail.com, Rachel Azz, moffe...@sbcglobal.net, Kate Peltz, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
I work for a landscaping company and i think this is something we would be interested in participating in! What kind of compensation do you have in mind? I'd love to bring this idea to my team!

Ring: 847.400.6323
Jaclyn Castellanos

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 4:00 PM, cat...@gmail.com <cat...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Alexa Dunn

Oct 1, 2016, 12:50:52 AM10/1/16
to Pauline R, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hi,  great idea.  I'm interested, and I'll bet my neighborhood garden association would be as well.

Alexa

--
For more urban agriculture news, information and opportunities, visit AUA at http://auachicago.org/
---

Sue Davenport

Oct 1, 2016, 10:45:23 AM10/1/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Great ideas! Yesterday I volunteered at CCGA's big, success distribution to c. 100 city gardens all over the city. Every garden got 40+ plants, inc flats of groundcover, perennials and 1-3 shrubs! High quality plants.
I am willing to work on sharing seasonal plantings.

Sue

Pauline R

Oct 11, 2016, 8:51:01 PM10/11/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hello all,

I'm glad to see that there's interest in diverting landscaping plants and straw from the waste stream.  Right now, I don't have access to any land on which to hold an event, but CCGA is continuing to have plant distribution events.  According to their website, their next one is this Sat.  http://chicagocommunitygardens.org/2016/10/07/ccga-bulb-distribution_-saturday-october-15-2016/

Lindsey Telford

Oct 12, 2016, 10:53:22 AM10/12/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Pauline,
We met this past March at the Chicago Flower and Garden Show and have emailed back and forth about Chicago Plant Rescue.

As you know, Chicago Plant Rescue is an organization that works to divert healthy plant material from the waste stream to be used in Chicago community gardens that has been in operation since Nov. 2015. We partner with CCGA, NeighborSpace, and some school garden groups to distribute our donated plant material to their networks of gardeners. Our donors include landscape companies, nurseries, larger Chicago gardens and conservatories.

This fall we launched our CPR Sidewalk program specifically targeted to local businesses and Chambers of Commerce with seasonal container plantings. http://www.chicagoplantrescue.com/cpr-sidewalk/

We love your enthusiasm for plant rescuing and welcome all volunteers!

Best,
Lindsey

Sue Davenport

Oct 12, 2016, 11:25:07 AM10/12/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Pauline,

If others did identify space for your proposed plant redistribution event somewhere from mid-city to North Side, with parking, for a day in November, would you be willing to help organize the event?

If anyone is interested in helping to find space for this proposed redistribution, please email me with your phone number.

Thanks!
Sue Davenport

cat...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 11:44:29 AM10/12/16
to Sue Davenport, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hi Sue,

I'm open to help organizing the event if free space is found.  However, the date would need to be dependent on several factors.  1) When are landscapers changing over plants and 2) If any of those plants are useful to community gardens/individuals.  In my area, the majority of the summer plantings were removed in late September.  They were replaced with lots of ornamental kale, cabbage, peppers, mums, and other plants.  I don't know when these plants will be removed.  However, gardens are likely to close by mid-November, because of the cold, and I'm not sure if any of the Fall landscaping plants will be desirable as houseplants.

Right now, straw is likely more useful to gardeners than plants, because it can be used as mulch and protection for overwintering plants.  I'm guessing that the majority of straw bale decorations will be removed after Halloween.  However, I don't know how much demand there will be for straw and there isn't much time left to organize everything.

What do you think?

Best,

Pauline

--
For more urban agriculture news, information and opportunities, visit AUA at http://auachicago.org/
---

elsa Jacobson

Oct 12, 2016, 11:48:56 AM10/12/16
to cat...@gmail.com, Sue Davenport, Advocates for Urban Agriculture

I only replied to Sue a moment ago! I may have a space possibility, date/time dependent, best, Elsa