TONIGHT -- Food service workers & other labor movements: National author in town (Wed., Sept. 28) at the Hideout

Debbie Hillman

Sep 28, 2016, 3:54:42 PM9/28/16
to AUA Agriculture for Urban
Sarah Jaffe is on a national book tour with her first book, Necessary Trouble: Americans in Revolt.   She covers labor movements of all kinds, including food workers.  She will be in Chicago tonight (Sept. 28), at the local foods favorite, The Hideout.

Sept. 28 (Wednesday)
6:00 - 9:00 PM
The Hideout
1354 W. Wabansia Ave.

See the attached announcement for more details. Or go directly to this link:

The agenda and other guests seems to be focused on other labor sectors (not food-and-farm), but  I asked Sarah if she would be talking about the food world.  This is what she said:
"I am happy to talk about food workers--there's certainly coverage of the topic in my book, both food service workers and others along the chain, such as the CJ's Seafood guestworkers who went on strike and led up to the Walmart retail workers' strike.

There's a lot in the book, but if this is of interest to people I'm happy to touch on it!"

If labor is one of anyone's main interests in the food-and-farm movement, I would recommend touching base with Sarah Jaffe.  She's doing great work nationally and is very prolific.

-- Debbie

Debbie Hillman
Evanston, Illinois

FOOD, FARMS & DEMOCRACY
Getting specific about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

September 28, 2016
Join Nation Institute fellow Sarah Jaffe, Chicago union activist and CPS parent Kenzo Shibata, People’s Action executive director George Goehl, and Jacobin editor Micah Uetricht at The Hideout to discuss Jaffe's new title from Nation Books, NECESSARY TROUBLE: Americans in Revolt.

The United States is witnessing a moment of unprecedented political engagement and social activism. Pundits who once fretted about Americans' apathy have, in the last few years, borne witness to uprisings and protests across the country: the growth of the Tea Party, the successful fight for a $15 minimum wage, #BlackLivesMatter, Occupy Wall Street, and the grassroots networks supporting presidential candidates like Bernie Sanders. In Necessary Trouble, Jaffe leads readers into the heart of these movements, explaining what has made ordinary Americans from Seattle to St. Louis to Atlanta become activists.

Special guests to be announced!

NECESSARY TROUBLE: Americans in Revolt is available in bookstores now. Copies will be sold at the event courtesy of Seminary Co-Op.

Sponsored by Nation Books, In These Times, and People's Action.

Event is free and open to the public.