ILLINOIS TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE: Listening sessions statewide (Apr. 27 - May 22)

Debbie Hillman

Apr 27, 2015, 7:51:33 AM4/27/15
to ILFFCoalition Farms Coalition Local Food and, illinoisfarmersmarkets, AUA Agriculture for Urban
Hi, all --

The Acting Secretary of Illinois Dept. of Transportation (Randy Blankenhorn) is hosting listening sessions in more than 20 cities around Illinois over the next month.

The purpose of the sessions is to gauge local issues and priorities regarding transportation infrastructure -- roads, bridges, transit systems (bus and rail), railroads, airports, and waterways.   According to the website, This dialogue, emphasizing quality of life and economic growth, will establish priorities for future investment in our transportation system.  (my boldface)

This would be a great opportunity for food-and-farm advocates to make their concerns heard.   Issues might be:
-- farmers bringing food to farmers markets:  condition of roads, connectivity, congestion
-- location of food hubs
-- access to food shipping alternatives (rail, air, water):  refrigeration
-- food served at transportation depots, truck stops, in transit:  local, healthy
-- agri-tourism
-- signage:  billboards, navigation
-- other

This would also be a good opportunity for bicyclists, pedestrians, and wheelchair users to bring up their issues:
-- access:  roads, paths, bus, rail
-- safety
-- share-the-road
-- other

See dates in attached email.

If anyone attends one of these listening sessions, I hope you'll report to the list-servs.  Based on my experience with Mr. Blankenhorn's previous leadership role (Exec. Dir. of Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, CMAP), there is still a lot of learning to be done regarding "local foods", healthy socio-economic-political relationships among rural, suburban, and urban communities.

-- Debbie

Debbie Hillman
Evanston, Illinois

D. Hillman Strategies:  Food Policy for Voters

Latest blogs:
No one alive today signed on!  (to the US Constitution)  March 2015

...water is a generous visitation from the Holy Female without whom all life would cease.  She is the greatest possible gift and could easily take herself away.
-- Martin Prechtel, The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun

Begin forwarded message:

From: Midwest High Speed Rail Association <Rick.H...@MidwestHSR.org>
Date: April 26, 2015 8:41:22 PM CDT
Subject: IDOT listening sessions start this week!

The Illinois Department of Transportation is hosting a series of "listening sessions" throughout the state starting with Champaign on Monday.

We need to increase visibility for high-speed rail, Amtrak and transit by having members speak at every meeting.

Please attend and speak at one of the events.  You get get more information at:
http://www.idot.illinois.gov/about-idot/stay-connected/events/Infrastructure-Investment

Champaign - April 27, 1:00 PM
Macomb - April 28, 10:00 AM
Springfield - April 28, 2:30 PM