Chicago: Local School Councils working on food-and-farm issues?

Debbie Hillman

Feb 24, 2018, 12:12:11 PM2/24/18
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
To residents of Chicago who have a child in a CPS school:

Thanks to Maria Hadden (candidate for alderwoman in 49th ward, Rogers Park, and Participatory Budgeting expert) for sharing information about the “biggest election in Chicago” — the Local School Councils.  See Maria’s email for details on how you can apply.  Deadline for applying is March 2.

As always, my interest is to use any and all forums and institutions to advance practical discussions on food-and-farm issues.  It seems to me that Local School Councils are a great place to have these discussions — and they’re probably happening already without much media attention.

Just another opportunity to get engaged….

— Debbie

PS   Maria Hadden’s website:  For those of you who live in the 49th ward and want to know more about Maria, here’s her website. http://www.mariafor49.org    Chicago aldermanic elections are next year (2019).  It’s not too late to ask Maria to add “food-and-farm justice” to her list of issues.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Maria Hadden <ma...@mariahadden.org>
Subject: Show up for our kids - Run for Local School Council!
Date: February 23, 2018 at 2:18:22 PM CST

Good Afternoon Friend,

There's an exciting opportunity to be a part of the biggest election in Chicago - the 2018 Local School Council Election.

The deadline to apply is Friday, March 2 by 3:45pm at the school where you are running.

Anyone can run who is:
  • 18 or over
  • a community member in the school's attendance area
  • the parent or legal guardian of a child attending the school
  • NOT an employee of CPS
You don't have to be a registered voter or documented citizen.

Terms are for two years and, if you decide to run, I'll volunteer for your campaign!

Below are some upcoming events related to supporting our schools.

The CUE event, this Saturday will provide more info on what the Local School Council does AND they will be providing applications and training to support your campaign for Local School Council!

Hope to see you at one of the events over the next week!

Maria Hadden
Candidate for Alderwoman
Chicago's 49th Ward

Chicago United for Equity (CUE) Inclusive Schools Project Events
Meet neighbors who share values of racial and economic equity, define your priorities as a community, and learn how local schools can help bring that vision to life.

Saturday, Feb 24 at 10:00 AM at Gale Elementary Community Academy
Eventbrite link

More information on the CUE website

Network 49: Better Funding, Stronger Schools
Join us for a presentation & panel discussion featuring:
• Ralph Martire, Executive Director, Center for Budget and Tax Accountability
• Jennie Biggs, Communications Director, Raise Your Hand
• Joanna Su, LSC Representative, Gale Community Academy

Learn how schools are funded; how current funding impacts our schools; and proposed solutions that ensure every child has access to the educational resources he/she needs.
Tuesday, Feb 27 at 7:00PM at Sullivan High School

A Toast for Gale - Community Fundraiser for the SMART Clinic at Gale Community Academy
Gale Community Academy, one of our wonderful elementary schools, won a CVS Health matching grant to build a new health clinic at the school. We need to raise $150,000 to match the grant by April 1!

We're already more than a third of the way to our goal but need your help to make sure more people know about this fantastic opportunity we have for our kids.

3 ways you can help:
  1. Attend the fundraiser, Tuesday, March 6 - 7:00PM - 9:00PM at R Public House.
  2. Donate online right now.
  3. Share the event and fundraiser online, in person, and ask if your employer can contribute.