Fruit Tree Pre-Orders at the 61st Street Farmers Market

Kim Werst

Apr 22, 2015, 4:55:21 PM4/22/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello AUAers!

For those of you who live nearby, you may be interested in participating in our pear, peach, and apple fruit tree project we are initiating this year. Read on below:

The 61st Street Farmers Market is introducing an initiative this year where market shoppers can pre-order fruit trees to pick up at our first outdoor market on May 16th at 61st & Dorchester. That day we will also have professionals on hand to demonstrate proper planting and answer any questions you may have about growing your fruit trees. Maintenance for your trees will be taught as the years progress, ensuring the best opportunity for a healthy tree and loads of fruit for years to come.

If you are interested in ordering, you can find the varieties available and details on how to place your pre-order here: http://www.experimentalstation.org/fruit.... I myself will be starting my trees in containers in case I move in the next year or two. They should yield fruit in 2-3 years and are smaller varieties that won't outgrow an urban home but should have at least 8 hours of sunlight in the location you choose to plant. SNAP/EBT can be used to order fruit trees as well.
Trees are $24 each ($27 if paying via PayPal) and are two years old. The are sourced from a nursery in Michigan with the help of Rene' from Ellis Family Farms who has generously assisted with this project. Please let me know if you have any questions!

The order form can be found here and the description of varieties is available via the above link for your convenience.

I hope you all will take advantage of this and connect with your food in a new way for 2015. Happy growing!

Kim Werst
Market Manager
61st Street Farmers Market
61st & Dorchester - Saturdays starting May 16th from 9am - 2pm.

Renee Costanzo

Apr 24, 2015, 12:10:11 PM4/24/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com, Renee Costanzo

Hi Kim,
I am very happy this is happening at your farmer's market. I want to participate. I just have to take a sec and look at the trees available.
On a different note, I would love to have the contact info. of the people you have available for the planting demo and further questions about fruit tree maintenance. We have a collection of community gardens and there are some members that are expressing great interest in planting fruit trees in their gardens. We would like to offer more assistance to that need through various workshops and talks. If you are able, please pass on the contact people that would be available for inquiries about workshops etc.

Thanks, Renee Costanzo

Kim Werst

Apr 27, 2015, 2:22:37 PM4/27/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com, renee.c...@chicagoparkdistrict.com
Hi Renee!

Thank you so much! So far we have over 20 trees on pre-order and I would love to increase that number to make this initiative as impactful as possible. We have requested the IL Extension Service to come to our first market, although Breanne Heath (from www.thepiepatchfarm.com) and I are talking about doing other workshops in the late fall or early spring next year. We will have how to thin your fruit, how to prepare your tree for winter, and other ongoing tutorials for those tree owners who take part in the pre-order.

Below is the contact information for our Extension educator:

Kim Ellson

Extension Educator Horticulture

University Of Illinois Extension

Cook County – Unit 6

3rd District Court House

2121 West Euclid, Room 251

Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

Phone 847-818-2901

Fax 847-818-2904

kel...@illinois.edu

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cook/

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask and thanks again!

Kim