Food & Water Watch Seeks Part-Time Organizer in Chicago

Jessica Fujan

Jan 27, 2015, 1:19:49 PM1/27/15
to Advocates Urban Agriculture for, chicagof...@lists.riseup.net
Please Share!!  Now Hiring Part-Time Grassroots Organizer – GMO Labeling Campaign

Food & Water Watch is a leading national consumer advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns challenging the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources. Since 2005, we have won significant victories to protect our food and water. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, the Washington Post and other major media outlets.

We are seeking an entry-level Organizer to develop and implement legislative, field organizing, and media strategies in our campaign to label genetically engineered foods at the state level. The Organizer represents F&WW and works as a leader in local coalitions to broaden support for F&WW’s policy goals. The position will be based in our Chicago office but will require travel to the suburbs.

Responsibilities
  • Represent Food & Water Watch and recruit new activists at community meetings, festivals, and other events.
  • Building strategic coalitions with religious groups, labor groups, elected officials, citizen activists, businesses and students.
  • Coordinating campaign events to engage citizens and pressure targets.
  • Assisting in media outreach to educate millions of people.
  • Bottom-lining important lobby meetings and community engagement events.
  • Hold regular office hours and participate in weekly meetings with Organizing staff.
  • Maintain strong records of work and assist with database development.
Requirements
Education: College degree or equivalent experience required.

Experience: One year experience in advocacy on public policy issues, and/or grassroots/field organizing.

Knowledge: Organizing, advocacy and legislative strategy techniques; familiarity with federal and state legislatures; consumer and environmental issues; working with the media.

Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal and planning; excellent organizational skills. Knowledge of online activism and email listservs.

Capabilities: Ability to think creatively and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news; demonstrated leadership capability; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks; ability to present technical concepts to a mass audience; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work. Work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. High level of independent judgment.

Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to promoting the goals of Food & Water Watch. Evening & weekend hours likely, extensive travel possible. Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.

Compensation

This is a Part-Time position at 20 hours a week for 12 weeks following the Organizer’s start date. Compensation is $11/hr. Success in this position could lead to further opportunities beyond the 12-week period allotted.

How to apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references, as one document, to Jfu...@fwwatch.org, noting “Illinois Organizer” in the subject line. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply.