Phytoremediation for heavy metals

Kevin Erickson

Nov 17, 2017, 12:18:14 PM11/17/17
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
I'm working on a phytoremediation project at Loyola to look at lead removal efficiency from soils using Brassica juncea (Indian mustard) and EDTA (ethylene diaminetetraacetate) applications. Has anyone tried phytoremediation in Chicago at any scale?  If so, I would be interested to hear about your experience.

If you want to learn more about phytoremediation, attached is a 2006 study using Brassica napas and Brassica juncea to remove Cd, Cu, Pb, and ZnApplying EDTA has been effective in increasing heavy metal uptake but is also very prohibitive of plant growth.  The goal would be to find solutions to minimize the time and costs of heavy metal soil remediation.

Kevin Erickson
Loyola University Chicago

PSE 53_7-15.pdf