A Penny For... Good Food?

Wes King

Jul 29, 2015, 11:46:00 AM7/29/15
to illinoislocalfoods, illinoisfarmersmarkets, hfhp-il, Advocates for Urban Agriculture, goodgree...@googlegroups.com, soilfooda...@yahoogroups.com, Chicago Food Policy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wes King <w...@ilstewards.org>

ACT NOW TO SUPPORT
$MILLIONS For GOOD FOOD In Illinois!

Take Action to Support the HEAL Act!

The Healthy Eating + Active Living Act (HEAL Act) would increase investment in intervention programs that directly impact obesity, diabetes and other related diseases. And of course, access to healthy food and local food is central to that effort. The HEAL Act creates a Wellness Fund that would provide millions of dollars in resources to organizations, famers and groups working to develop local food systems and promote good food! Efforts like farm-to-school programs, community garden, farmers markets and more!

Funded through a penny-per-ounce tax on sugary drinks the HEAL Act would provide approximately $100 million to the Wellness Fund and $500 million to Medicaid.

CONTACT YOUR STATE LEGISLATOR NOW TO VOICE YOUR SUPPORT!

As Illinois' budget crisis continues, a small bit of good news is that the HEAL Act is on the table as part of the budget and revenue discussion in Springfield - but we need your help to make sure the sugary-drink tax revenues are included and dedicated to health and wellness!

TAKE ACTION NOW:

  • Or call this toll free number, which will patch you through to either a target legislator, or the Governor's office:  844-325-5900

ALSO:

  • Tweet at your legislator using the hashtag #HEALtheBudget. Find legislators' handles and sample messages you can use on our Twitter page,@HEALtheBudget
  • Share this alert online via social media and encourage others to make the call
  • Find out more about the HEAL Act on our website, healthebudget.org, such as the HEAL Act Fact Sheet about the proposal, an FAQ, the results of our poll, and much more.

Wes King

Illinois Stewardship Alliance

Forward to a Friend

Find us on Facebook

Forward email

This email was sent to w...@ilstewards.org by w...@ilstewards.org |

Illinois Stewardship Alliance | 230 Broadway, Suite 200 | Springfield | IL | 62701

--
Wes King
Executive Director

*Support Illinois local food and farms - become a member today!