Urban Canopy Winter CSA (Home delivered!)

Alex Poltorak

Oct 3, 2015, 4:34:37 PM10/3/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com, Isa...@theurbancanopy.org
Hello AUA Folks,
   Our small farm offers a winter Community Support Agriculture membership we call LUCSA...Since we’re in an urban area (south-side of Chicago) and there are many wonderful people we like around us, our CSA includes kombucha from our neighbor-brewers, bread or granola from nearby bakers, coffee from the roaster down the street and other interesting produce and products. We call it the Local Unified CSA because we collaborate with others in our locality to bring you this interesting and diverse weekly CSA.

Below is information about this winter's shares:

Winter LUCSA

The Urban Canopy

LUCSA = Local Unified Community Supported Agriculture

Just like other farms that offer a weekly share of farm fresh produce known as a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), the Urban Canopy offers a weekly share that brings together local and/or organic produce with items such as eggs, bread, and beverages that make for a well-rounded box of good food.

What will be in the share?

While the share varies from week to week based on what is available, these are some of the items members can expect to receive in a typical delivery:

  • A local beverage from a Chicago producer such as kombucha, juice, beer, cider, fresh-roasted coffee or loose-leaf tea

  • 1 loaf of bread or granola from a local bakery (Chicago or the Midwest)

  • 1 dozen organic eggs from Lyons Fruit Farm (South Haven, MI)

  • Organic Mushrooms from River Valley Ranch (Burlington, WI)

  • Fruits and vegetables from the Urban Canopy farm at 76th and Racine or from other partner farms in the Midwest (Nichols Farm & Orchard, Ellis Family Farms, Gary Comer Youth Center) as seasonally available.

  • Preserved goods from local food businesses (salsas, sauces, jams, pickles, fermented foods)

  • Microgreens from our indoor farm at 46th and Ashland.

  • Non-local, certified organic produce*

*This produce is bought from large organic distributors. We would like to give our members access to organic produce to supplement the lack of fresh local produce which occurs in the winter season. Please let us know if you would like to know more about this, or if you’d like to opt-out.

Pricing and Delivery:

The prices below include the share itself and weekly home delivery of the share, which will be on Monday evenings from 6-9pm, starting November 9 and ending February 22 (skipping December 21* & 28) for a total of 14 weeks.

FULL SHARE (A full box delivered every week for a total of 14 shares.)

Commitment and full payment received before November 1: $490 ($35/share)

Commitment and full payment received after November 1: $560 ($40/share)

HALF SHARE (A full box delivered every other week for a total of 7 shares.)

Commitment and full payment received before November 1: $252 ($36/share)

Commitment and full payment received after November 1: $287 ($41/share)

*We will be offering the option of a special “Holiday Share” on December 21 for the price of $50. This share will be loaded up with extra produce and goods for your holiday cooking needs. Please let us know if you would like to opt-in.

Want to compost your food scraps? LUCSA members that join our Compost Club get a special price of $5 per bucket!

Contact us at LU...@TheUrbanCanopy.org to sign up or if you have any questions/comments. Thank you! :)

Kind Regards,

--Alex