Introduction: Illinois native (farm family, law degree) - seeking position in sustainable ag, food systems

Debbie Hillman

Jul 26, 2016, 4:48:00 PM7/26/16
to AUA Agriculture for Urban, ILFFCoalition Farms Coalition Local Food and, illinoisfarmersmarkets, Mike Biver
To members of
Advocates for Urban Agriculture (Greater Chicago food system)
Illinois Farmers Markets Association (serving 300+ Illinois markets)
Illinois Local Food and Farms Coalition (statewide food system)

Hi, all --

This is to introduce a high-quality potential colleague to Illinois food system organizations.

Mike Biver (pronounced ''beaver') is a native of southern Illinois with a very interesting combination of
-- education (advertising, law degree, multiculturalism),
-- work background (family farm, legal services, gift planning for faith-based organization), and
-- a growing interest in food production and food systems as they relate to personal and environmental health.

Thanks to Kevin Erickson's introduction (Loyola University), I have had two interesting and inspiring telephone conversations with Mike over the last few months (as well as numerous email exchanges).   Mike is friendly, articulate, and understands sophisticated concepts and complex systems -- e.g., the food-and-farm system.  On an interpersonal level, he seems to have a good understanding of the need to bridge the rural-urban gap, along with the skills to do so.  Plus he has expressed a willingness to enter the food system world from a variety of perspectives -- sustainable ag., public health, permaculture, co-ops, factory farms, farm-to-camp -- just to name a few areas that we've talked about.

An entry point project might be research or grant writing (and who doesn't need both of those?).  I believe that Mike will quickly make any organization look good while providing value to the larger food-and-farm movement.

Mike has recently moved back to Illinois from Minnesota and is looking to get connected to food-and-farm organizations in Illinois, the Midwest, and at the national level.  While he is looking for a full-time position, he is volunteering with the new Food Shed Co-op in McHenry County (still in its planning stages, but very active).

I have attached Mike's brief statement about his background and job search, as well as his resume.  I would encourage anyone who is looking for a committed colleague with a wide range of valuable skills to contact Mike and explore mutual opportunities.   I am copying Mike on this email.

-- Debbie

Debbie Hillman
Evanston, Illinois

FOOD, FARMS & DEMOCRACY
Getting specific about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
Food, Farms & Democracy

Statement by Mike Biver re:  food-and-farm system job search
Woodstock, IL

As was the case for the last 3 generations of my family, I grew up on a small conventional grain farm in southern Illinois.  I spent the first part of my life helping my family in the production of corn, wheat, and soybeans in addition to hay and straw bales and a herd of beef cattle.

A few years ago my mother’s health started to decline very rapidly with little explanation.  After a long time of trying (unsuccessfully) to find a solution through traditional methods, my mother’s very life was at risk and she was willing to try an approach focused on diet.  That approach resulted in a near full recovery within months.  At that point, the impact food production has on the body and the environment became my hobby and my passion.

After working for 10 years in the nonprofit sector, and acquiring my J.D., I have now decided that good food production is such a critically pressing issue affecting me, my family, and humanity that I want to devote my career to it.  I live in Woodstock, IL and am open to a reasonable commute and/or telecommuting options.

Mike Biver Resume.pdf