Fall Urban Agriculture Classes

Kate Gannon

Jul 26, 2016, 1:54:22 PM7/26/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hello Everyone!

This fall Windy City Harvest will be offering four 14 week programs.  All courses are based out of the Arturo Velasquez Institute at 2800 S Western Ave, but may include field trips to other sites.

Saturdays, 9am to 1pm, September 10 through December 17

  *   Aquaponic Production
  *   Season Extension
  *   Edible Landscaping and Rooftop Farming

Monday, Wednesday, 6pm to 8pm, September 12 through December 14

  *   Business and Entrepreneurship for Local Foods - Successful completion if the Business Course and the Apprenticeship program are pre-requisites to applying for an Incubator Plot at Legends Farm

For full course descriptions, please visit our website: http://www.chicagobotanic.org/wch_courses

To apply, please submit the attached admissions form and fee structure application with income verification to Kate Gannon no later than August 19.  Admissions materials can either be emailed to kga...@chicagobotanic.org, dropped off in person at the Arturo Velasquez Institute located at 2800 S Western Ave, Rm 1102, or mailed to:
1000 Lake Cook Road
Attn Kate Gannon
Glencoe, IL 60022

Please feel free to reach out to me directly with questions.

Thank you!

Kate Gannon, LSW
Windy City Harvest Program Support
kga...@chicagobotanic.org
847-636-7632

http://www.chicagobotanic.org/urbanagriculture
2016 Fee Structure.pdf
WCH_Admissions_Form.pdf

stephanie dunn

Jul 26, 2016, 3:54:14 PM7/26/16
to Kate Gannon, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Windy City harvest could also be an option for Jesse. It's run by Chicago botanic garden 3 blocks south of my house. Several friends of mine have gone through the program and they have excellent practical knowledge of urban farming, selling for market, and business planning. They are also usually placed with a job after they receive their certificate--my 2 friends were employed immediately. Let me know your thoughts. Again, I can't guarantee anything with either the windy city or master farmer program, but perhaps he could apply to both and see what the response is. I can help him with those applications on Thursday. Jesse would be good at Aquaponics, asks there is a large employer in Tinley Park. Definitely I would recommend the Saturday course. The incubator farms they mention are way out in the northwest suburbs, NOT recommended
--
For more urban agriculture news, information and opportunities, visit AUA at http://auachicago.org/
---

Stephanie Dunn
sdun...@gmail.com
312 768 9949
Chicago Seed Savers
PilsenEnvironmentalRightsReformOrg
Specialty Gardens

*

Patsy Benveniste

Jul 26, 2016, 4:15:21 PM7/26/16
to stephanie dunn, Kate Gannon, Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Stephanie, Windy City Harvest Incubator lots are located in City of Chicago on near south side (4500 S. Federal, Legends Farm) or on west side -- not northwest suburbs at all.

Patsy Benveniste, AUA Board member and continuing fan of Windy City Harvest
Patsy Benveniste

stephanie dunn

Jul 26, 2016, 4:19:06 PM7/26/16
to Patsy Benveniste, advocates-for-urban-agriculture, Kate Gannon

Hey, great thanks for the clarification! I was thinking of the other incubator farms, that's great news. Also, I didn't mean to send out that email to the listservs, apologies!