Request for Proposals: "Food Justice" conference (Oregon) -- Chicago connection

Debbie Hillman

Mar 28, 2015, 11:16:51 AM3/28/15
to AUA Agriculture for Urban, ILFFCoalition Farms Coalition Local Food and, illinoisfarmersmarkets, Spencer Masterson, a...@lifepuzzle.com
Hi, all --

An Illinois native now based in Portland, OR has asked me to post the "Request for workshop proposals" for a national conference that he is organizing on how food banks can -- and should -- become more of a grassroots, community-based institution supporting individual and community self-sufficiency (rather than being a charity).   (That's my paraphrase.)

Spencer Masterson is from Gurnee, Illinois and has been doing great work in Oregon and keeping his Illinois connections alive.  I believe he also has connections with Robin Schirmer, who is so active in Illinois and Midwest farmers markets.

Here's an idea for a workshop proposal if anyone wants to investigate.

FOOD BANKS NOT COUNTED IN GDP?
Something that may be of interest to food banks and other non-profits is a statement that I read yesterday on another food colleague's website:
According to Ann Kramer, currently of North Carolina, formerly of Oregon where she helped to found the Gorge Grown Food Network (www.gorgegrown.com), most of the work of non-profits "is not accounted for" in our Gross Domestic Product (GDP).   The GDP (and GNP) are the two tools by which the U.S. government (and most national and global financial entities) measure the economy.   For the last 50 years or so, many people have been demonstrating how flawed those measurements are (e.g., most women's work is not measured or valued, including the work of the Earth).   But I did not know that the non-profit work is not included in the measurement either.

To Spencer:   See Ann's website, Integrative Economy, for more information on this topic, which she calls the "Shadow" employment sector.   www.integrativeeconomy.com    This may be an interesting arena for you to discuss at your conference.  Perhaps Ann can help you understand the details.  (I am copying her on this email.)

Ann's website has some other very good information, ideas, and ways of thinking, such as an economic "readjustment act" modeled on the GI bill.

See attached email for details of the September conference.  The deadline for proposals is April 1, 2015.

-- Debbie

Debbie Hillman
Evanston, Illinois

D. Hillman Strategies:  Food Policy for Voters

...one day the woman who thinks will speak to us again, and everywhere there will be peace.
-- Paula Gunn Allen, Where I come From is Like This

Closing the Hunger Gap conference workshop session proposals due April 1

For details, please download the Request for Proposals

We want you to present at Closing the Hunger Gap: Cultivating Food Justice Conference. There's just one week left to get your proposals in by the April 1 deadline!

The Conference will be held September 13 - 16, 2015 in Portland, Oregon and is hosted by Oregon Food Bank and Closing the Hunger Gap. CTHG is a movement to engage food banks in expanding efforts beyond food handouts, toward community-based empowerment initiatives that effectively network with broader community food security work.

For the 2015 conference, we expect to bring together more than 500 attendees representing emergency food providers, farms, and nonprofit organizations focused on health, education, and food justice. The conference will be a vibrant, diverse, and inspiring event where attendees have ample time to learn new skills, discuss innovative programs, and network with their peers.

Help make the conference great: read the Request for Proposals and then submit a proposal

We are looking for proposals that:
·        Are creative, interactive, and provide opportunities for significant audience participation.
·        Focus on "how to" and skill building and that allow time for attendees to think through how they might adapt and implement programs/skills in their own communities.
·        Include a diverse group of workshop leaders, such as emerging leaders, youth, project participants, and community members.

·        Demonstrate collaboration across sectors.

Spencer Masterson | Community Resource Developer | OREGON FOOD BANK | 971-313-8585

We are oregonfoodbank on:

cid:image001.png@01CF4D99.A34C5EE0 cid:image002.png@01CF4D99.A34C5EE0 cid:image003.png@01CF4D99.A34C5EE0 cid:image004.png@01CF4D99.A34C5EE0