invitation: food justice, Earth rights, human rights theater/music performance in Chicago (May 23)

John Rich

May 19, 2015, 6:11:24 PM5/19/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Jessica Surma from AUA-Chicago invited me to share this post with all of you. I tried to write to many of you individually, and I apologize if I missed someone.

On Saturday, May 23, the NYC performance group Reverend Billy and The Stop Shopping Choir are in Chicago to join the March Against Monsanto in the afternoon, and perform their energetic show "Faster! Monsanto Die! Die!" in the evening. They are a 30+ group of activist/singers that you may know from the Morgan Spurlock film "What Would Jesus Buy." The performance is produced by the Guild Literary Complex, a 26-year old cross-cultural literary organization where I am the Director.

This concert is going to be fun and powerful. In addition to songs and performance challenging Monsanto and shouting for food justice and sustainable agriculture, the evening will have a strong focus on human rights. As part of the evening, there will be a "sainting" ceremony, and the Chicago-based group We Charge Genocide will be given special recognition for their work confronting police brutality and systemic racism.

You are all invited to attend the performance. Here are the main details:

"Faster! Monsanto Die! Die!"
w/Reverend Billy and The Stop Shopping Gospel Choir
Saturday, May 23, 8:00 PM
Peoples Church of Chicago (Preston Bradley Center)
941 W Lawrence Ave -- in Uptown
Advance tickets available here: http://rev-billy-chicago.brownpapertickets.com/

More information can be found on the Facebook event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1586187518298104/

And also the Guild event page here:
http://guildcomplex.org/event/reverend-billy/

Tickets are $8 in advance, or a suggested donation of $10-$12 at the door. But for groups of 5 or more, I am happy to offer a special rate of $5/person. If you are interested in group tickets, you can email me at jr...@guildcomplex.org or at johnmic...@gmail.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions. At the Guild Complex (www.guildcomplex.org), we believe vibrant literature contributes to society and community, and people should have access to quality literary experiences that engage them with dynamic juxtapositions of voices and ideas. We craft programs that cross and connect lines between identities, cultures, generations, educational experiences, and artistic visions. Our event with Reverend Billy and The Stop Shopping Choir is designed as such a program.

For more information on Reverend Billy, visit www.revbilly.com.

With best wishes,

John Rich
Director