Food entrepreneurship events: Evanston - Rutgers (May 7) + Chicago - U. of Neb. (May 29)

Debbie Hillman

May 2, 2015, 10:13:03 AM5/2/15
to AUA Agriculture for Urban, Trieschmann Susan, Nachsin Wilma, Shannon Alan
To:
Advocates for Urban Agriculture (Greater Chicago)
Curt's Cafe (Evanston)  youth food entrepreneurship
cc:  Good Greens:  Alan Shannon, Public Affairs Director, USDA FNS Midwest Office

Hi, all --

Two food entrepreneurship events in May have come across my radar.  Both are connected to long-standing university programs at land-grant universities.  Land-grant universities are federally mandated to house Extension programs.   Land-grant universities have a long-standing mandate to foster food-and-farm technology and research and to disseminate that information to the general public.

The Evanston event is an informal showcase & networking event; it is free.
The Chicago event is an all-day seminar and probably has some cost.

1.  EVANSTON, May 7, 2015.   Evanston Edge Start-up Showcase at Now We're Cookin'
Evanston's commercial kitchen and food entrepreneurship incubator is hosting a showcase featuring some Evanston start-ups, a "Pitch Panel", and Q&A.

From the invitation:  Our startups and panelists have been selected! See pitches from Cooked, Hooray Puree, Meez Meals, My Lunch, and Snackerie. Our expert panel includes Jeff Joseph, David Morton, Jeff Schonwold and Jean Kroll.

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY MODEL.  I believe that Now We're Cookin' has based its curriculum on the Rutgers University model.  Rutgers is the land-grant university of New Jersey,   It would be interesting to compare Rutgers model with what's available in Illinois and Chicago.

For what it's worth, Rutgers is now a member of the Big Ten and I believe that new partnerships are being forged in and outside of the sports arena.  Just as the University of Nebraska (Lincoln) has been bringing its "Recipe to Reality" workshop to Chicago for many years, Rutgers might be interested in offering workshops in the larger Big Ten territory -- e.g., Greater Chicago.   Now We're Cookin' and/or Curt's Cafe might be a good local partner to expand the Rutgers outreach.

May 7, 2015 (Thursday)
5:30 PM
Now We're Cookin'
1601 Payne St.
Evanston

Contact:  Nell Funk,, owner

near Green Bay and McCormick
somewhat accessible by public transportation:
CTA Purple Line - Noyes   (7-8 blocks)
Metra North - Central St.  (6-7 blocks)
Pace bus 213   (2 blocks)

Space is truly limited.   It's a beautiful, photogenic kitchen, but fairly small.   I definitely recommend registration.

2.  CHICAGO , May 29, 2015.- University  of Nebraska (Lincoln) - National Food Entrepreneur Program
Recipe to Reality

May 29, 2015
All-day seminar

Contact:  Jill Gifford

From the website:  The one-day Recipe to Reality seminar is the first step in developing a food business. It is specifically designed to provide entrepreneurs with an understanding of the key issues they will need to consider when starting a food business. Participants include individuals interested in marketing a family recipe, individuals with a product idea or concept, producers considering adding value to an agricultural product and restaurateurs or chefs exploring the manufacturing of a house specialty.

This seminar has been offered in Chicago for as long as I've been involved with food-and-farm policy (at least 10 years).  It is also offered in other locations (Iowa, Florida, as well as Nebraska).

-- Debbie

Debbie Hillman
Evanston, Illinois

D. Hillman Strategies:  Food Policy for Voters

Latest blogs:
No one alive today signed on!  (to the US Constitution)  March 2015

...water is a generous visitation from the Holy Female without whom all life would cease.  She is the greatest possible gift and could easily take herself away.
-- Martin Prechtel, The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun