10 month Americorps opportunity with Gardeneers!

Amanda Fieldman

Dec 15, 2017, 12:32:40 PM12/15/17
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com

www.gardeneers.org/americorps

Gardeneers is searching for individuals with a passion for gardening and environmental work, and who are dedicated to serving Chicago's youth. While previous experience is encouraged, Gardeneers will train Americorps candidates to gain the necessary gardening and educating skills. The ideal candidate is committed to 10 months of service, is open minded, punctual and resilient.

During the service year, candidate will be placed in a handful of schools, primarily in Chicago’s South and West Sides, where they will serve alongside an experienced Gardeneers’ Garden Educator. The role will be to assist in providing hands-on garden education for students, turning the garden into a lively classroom, while providing students with access and knowledge to living a healthy lifestyle. In addition, they will be vital in maintaining the gardens so that our gardens exude beauty in the neighborhoods we serve. Lastly, they will aide in our community volunteer days, student-run community farm stands, and monthly events!

Americorps requires all applicants be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident. Americorps also requires you to pass a criminal background check and are not registered on the U.S. sex offender registry.
Each Americorps Member will receive a monthly living stipend, health benefits, the option of student loan deferment, and an education award of $5,800 to pursue higher education (upon completion of 1700 hours of service).

We are looking for candidates who can commit from February 1 to November 30, 2018. This service requirement is full-time and will requires availability on some weekends.
Know anyone that would be interested?
We have 8 positions available. Have interested candidates send a cover letter and resume to Alex Rosen, Program Director, at Al...@gardeneers.org with the header “Americorps Applicant.” Application deadline for 2018 Americorps Service is January 10. Position will begin February 1, 2018.

--
Amanda Fieldman
Director of Development

Want to volunteer? Sign up here!