Lead in soil- looking for cheap soil in bulk

Em McCarthy

Jul 7, 2015, 3:52:11 PM7/7/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I live in a coop in Hyde Park. We have children and an infant living in the house. We had a lead assessment done and the house and the soil failed. Does anyone have any cost-effective ideas for fixing the backyard? I was thinking about finding a source of cheap top-soil to cover it. It would be ideal to plant something that will re-mediate but it is a very shady yard. Does anyone have a source for cheap soil in bulk?

Thanks,
Emmet

Meg M

Jul 8, 2015, 9:56:58 AM7/8/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com
G'Morning.

So, phytoremediation would be my method of choice too, but I hear you asking for other solutions. Have you looked at mycoremediation? (fungus/mushrooms) Rob Poe might be the person to contact on that. Haven't seen him in a while, but he's the good ideas man on this one. He has a soil solutions working group (https://mycoremediation.wordpress.com/about/).

If you're just going the soil route and need cheap topsoil with a low footprint, check out EZ Tree. Local south side source for mulch, topsoil, wood, compost, made from trees and manure from the neighborhood.
They're at:
        7050 S Dorchester Ave, Chicago, IL 60637

(773) 493-8600

Good luck!
Meg

mo cahill

Jul 12, 2015, 9:47:33 AM7/12/15
to advocates-for-u...@googlegroups.com
i would look into the practice of hugelkultur.
i bought a lot w crummy, sandy soil, that was about 4' below grade at the deepest.

we built 2 long raised beds. i built them out of landscape waste, which was all free.
you have to make a raised bed, as it will settle.
if you want to know more, let me know.