8th Annual Bee Forum at Garfield Park Conservatory

beek...@garfieldpark.org

Feb 21, 2017, 6:43:55 PM2/21/17
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture
Hi AUA,

Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance is hosting it's annual Bee Forum on Sunday, March 26 from 10am-4pm. This year's theme is "The art of beekeeping, the science of bees". We have 3 speakers who will provide more details about the theme with their presentations and panel discussion;

Dr. Meghan Milbrath - coordinator of the Michigan Pollinator Initiative at Michigan State University, owner of Sand Hill Apiaries.

Tim Wilbanks - fifth generation beekeeper who grew up working in his family’s commercial package and queen rearing business, owner of Kalona Honey Company.

Sainath Suryanarayanan - Assistant Scientist of Biology & Society at University of Wisconsin - Madison, author of recently published book; Vanishing Bees: Science, Politics, and Honeybee Health.

In addition to these great presentations, there will also be an update on Chicago Bee Project. Chicago Bee Project was started in spring 2016 and focuses on raising local queens from overwintered colonies and distributing those queens to area beekeepers.

Bee Forum Tentative Schedule:

10:00 am – 10:30 am; Registration and light breakfast
10:30 am – 10:45 am; Welcome & opening remarks
10:45 am – 12:00 pm; Morning presentation
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm; Community Potluck Lunch – bring a dish to share
1:00 pm – 3:30 pm; Afternoon presentations
3:30 pm – 4:00 pm; Panel discussion and closing

Tickets are $35 for general registration and $28 for GPCA members and volunteers and can be purchased on our website. We will also have door prizes available.
If you have any questions about the Bee Forum, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Hope to see you all on Sunday, March 26.
Thanks,
Marcin

Marcin Matelski

Head Beekeeper