Yale 360 article on soil health

Carter O'Brien

May 25, 2017, 11:03:04 AM5/25/17
to Advocates For Urban Agriculture
Great article, and the logic is applicable to fertilizers in Chicago that are applied to turfgrass and end up in the Chicago River and Lake Michigan.

Why It’s Time to Stop Punishing Our Soils with Fertilizers

"We were applying fertilizers and getting these big yields, so that system seemed to be working — until we began seeing, for example, the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico [created by algal blooms triggered by high nitrogen levels from fertilizer], and we started wondering if this was really working right."

--
Carter O'Brien, LEED AP O+M

Sustainability Manager
Science & Education
Field Museum of Natural History
312-665-7811

Learn about The Field Museum's green building initiatives here!