How does one upgrade the ADT Bundle?

Mark Murphy

Sep 30, 2013, 9:01:58 AM9/30/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
I installed the 64-bit Linux ADT Bundle on a fresh installation of
Ubuntu 13.04 a couple of weeks ago. My installation has, in the "ADT
Installation Details" screen:

- Android Developer Tools (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759), which contains...

- ADT Package (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759), which contains...

- Android DDMS (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759)
- Android Development Tools (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759)
- Android Hierarchy Viewer (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759)
- Android Native Development Tools (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759)
- Android Traceview (22.0.5.v201307292155--757759)

Notably, none of those are the latest (22.2.1.v201309180102-833290),
and the Graphical Layout tool does not work, reporting "This version
of the rendering library is more recent than your version of ADT
plug-in. Please update ADT plug-in".

Yet, Help | Check for Updates says "No updates were found".

Back in February, there was a question posted to StackOverflow along a
similar line:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15003695/adt-needs-to-update-but-find-no-update

The answers there say to *also* manually add the Android tools Eclipse
repository, then install the components *again*. However, if I do
this, I wind up with two copies of everything, and the Graphical
Layout tool reports the same error.

So... what is the process by which we are supposed to get updates to
the ADT components in the ADT Bundle?

Thanks!

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_: 2,400+ Pages of Goodness!

Siva Velusamy

Sep 30, 2013, 1:17:35 PM9/30/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
Here's what I see:

- Check for updates doesn't find any updates.
- Clicking on "Help | Install New Software | Select the Android
Update Site in the dropdown" does show the newer plugins. If you
select to install them, Eclipse does say that these plugins are
already installed, so an update would be performed instead.

Once the update goes through, then the project loads fine and I don't
see the error from the rendering library ("This version the rendering
library is more recent than your version of ADT..")

I'm not exactly sure why "Check for updates" doesn't find the updates
while the p2 update site is actually configured in and going through
the install wizard finds the updates.

Scott Barta

Sep 30, 2013, 1:22:57 PM9/30/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
There's been some discussion in https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=60285

Some people there solved problems by making sure their update URLs were https.

Mark Murphy

Sep 30, 2013, 1:37:05 PM9/30/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Siva Velusamy <vs...@google.com> wrote:
> - Check for updates doesn't find any updates.
> - Clicking on "Help | Install New Software | Select the Android
> Update Site in the dropdown" does show the newer plugins.

There is no "Android Update Site in the dropdown" unless I add it
myself, which results in duplicate copies of the plugins, as
previously noted.

Though it now dawns on me that this is probably my fault, at least in
part. This was part of a cutover to a new notebook, and I just brought
my whole Eclipse workspace with me. In that case, I would have
expected my old software update entries to be in ADT, instead of
nothing, but it may still be part of the problem.

I'll poke around with a new workspace and see if that improves my
ability to get updates.

Mark Murphy

Sep 30, 2013, 3:19:07 PM9/30/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
A fresh workspace did not help my existing install.

Downloading a fresh ADT Bundle (0917 vintage this time) and unpacking
it shows no entries in the Install New Software sites drop-down. Check
for Updates says "There are no update sites to search. Do you wish to
open the 'Available Software Sites' preferences?".

I have settled for removing both copies of the ADT Bundle and rolling
back to a standard Eclipse installation and manually adding the SDK
and ADT.