Frutiger TTF Font - won't work on my PC

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 9:51:41 AM6/3/04
Hi Folks,
I've transferred this licensed font to my new PC which is running Windows XP Professional - and only one face shows up in the menus in Fireworks, Photoshop or Illustrator and Word: 'Frutiger', which is too bold for what I want. I don't see the Light, Black, Ultra Black etc. Does anybody know why this might be?
What I see in my Windows Fonts folder for the 9 variants is this sort of thing:

Frutiger Roman FRTR___.TTF

That looks alright doesn't it? Windows and Thumbs Plus will also preview it no problem.

Hoping you can advise,
John

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 9:53:01 AM6/3/04
Just making sure I get email notification on this topic,
John

George_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 10:05:54 AM6/3/04

I've transferred this licensed font to my new PC which is running Windows
XP Professional

You should install the fonts, not transfer them.

and only one face shows up in the menus ... What I see in my Windows Fonts

folder for the 9 variants is this sort of thing: Frutiger Roman FRTR___.TTF

You should have all the 9 variants listed, not just that one. This means you will have to install each and every one.

rgrds
George

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 10:29:33 AM6/3/04
Hi George,
Thanks for the reply.
I tried installing them via the control panel>fonts in Windows without luck.

Someone mentioned using a CP Applet? Is that an installer that comes with the licensed
fonts?

John

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 10:35:22 AM6/3/04
Actually I think the CP Applet is what I used, it's part of teh Windows Control Panel. Still no joy though.
John

George_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 11:23:11 AM6/3/04
Saying "no luck" you mean??

They are installed by Control Panel->Fonts->Install new font

If you did that, they should show up in the list of installed fonts (all nine of them, not just the one)

George

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 12:09:08 PM6/3/04
Yep, that's what I did and they're not showing. It's been suggested that ATM would help - but isn't that just for making PS fonts work?

Thanks again for the attention on this issue George,
John

Dov Isaacs

Jun 3, 2004, 12:53:26 PM6/3/04
You are dealing with TrueType fonts. ATM Deluxe 4.1 will not really "help" you in any way. If the TrueType fonts won't install with the Control Panel, they won't install with ATM!

The fact that one of the typefaces shows in the Fonts window as "Frutiger Roman FRTR___.TTF " would indicate something is not quite kosher with these fonts? What is being shown looks like a concatenation of the internal font name and a file name! Where did you originally get these fonts from? Are they "conversions" from some Type 1 fonts? What are the actual file names associated with the fonts you are trying to install?

- Dov

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 3, 2004, 1:22:38 PM6/3/04
Hi Don
The name [in windows] is:

Frutiger Roman

Under Details it says:

FRTR___.TTF

I'm a little confused too actually. In the properties it mentions Macromedia Fontopgrapher, copyright Adobe Systems and Frutiger/Linotype-Hell Ag etc.

When the 'Frutiger Roman' previews it actually says and IS the Bold version.

As far as I know these are the files that were purchased a couple of years ago before I worked here and they do work on Windows 2000.

John

Dov Isaacs

Jun 3, 2004, 1:39:56 PM6/3/04
I don't know who "Don" is; I'm "Dov" ...

Anyway, what you have are fonts that were "converted" from Type 1 fonts originally licensed from Adobe. Adobe NEVER licensed TrueType versions of Frutiger. You should also be aware that quite a few such "converted" fonts are actually pirated and illegally posted on various "free fonts" websites for the "unsuspecting" to download and use.

I suspect that a real "amateur hour" job was done in the so-called conversion. Fontographer is a font editor and any "conversions" done by it are potentially "lossy" in more ways than one. If you don't know what you are doing, you will end up with a mess in terms of the font data and information as to how the individual typefaces within the family relate to each other. I think that this is exactly what you are experiencing now.

If your organization really did license these from Adobe or one of its authorized vendors, you should have the original Type 1 fonts including the .PFB and .PFM files associated with each typeface. Uninstall whatever "Frutiger" TrueType fonts you have and install the original Type 1 fonts. That should eliminate your problem!

- Dov

johni...@adobeforums.com

Jun 4, 2004, 4:24:11 AM6/4/04
Hi There Dov [sorry],
Funny, I don't know where this TTF version came from then. We do have the PS versions alright but I don't really want to use them because it just causes problems - everyone including the client has to get them and ATM etc etc. I know they're better but I think you'll find that most web designers get along fine with TTFs once the the font is decently designed. What that syas about your average web designer... well I don't want to get into that because I am one!

I wonder why it says Copyright Adobe then?
John

Dov Isaacs

Jun 4, 2004, 4:39:25 AM6/4/04
John,

FYI, you don't need ATM for Type 1 fonts for Windows 2000 or XP.

And yes, you are right that there is nothing wrong with TrueType fonts in general. However, in this particular case, the "conversion" from the Adobe Type 1 fonts obviously had problems, the most obvious of which is evidenced by the fact that the resultant family doesn't appear to install properly under Windows. The Adobe copyright notice is by default maintained by Fontographer, the program used to "convert" the fonts. Maintenance of that copyright notice is required since the font is a derivative work of the Adobe font which itself was licensed from Linotype by Adobe (per the copyright notice).

If you really need a TrueType version of the Frutiger family, you are really best off to license a TrueType version directly from a reputable font foundry. In this case, you are probably best off to go directly to Linotype at <http://www.linotype.com/469/frutiger-family.html> to obtain those fonts since Adobe licenses only OpenType and Type 1 versions of Frutiger.

- Dov