Problem installing 9.0 and 9.1

Mxz...@adobeforums.com

Mar 12, 2009, 8:02:25 PM3/12/09
I delete Adobe Reader 8.0 to install Adobe Reader 9.0. However I was unsuccessful in installing Adobe Reader. Everytime I tried to install Adobe Reader 9, I get this message. "Error 1406:could not write value installed to key\software\microsoft\windows\currentVersion\Run\Optionalcomponents\MSFS".

I have tried everything, even follow others advise to go inthe registry and do something but still unsuccessful. Please advised

Pat_Wi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 13, 2009, 12:11:05 AM3/13/09

I delete Adobe Reader 8.0

Never delete software; always uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs. Installing a newer version of Adobe Reader will automatically uninstall previous versions.

To repair your mistake, download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, then run it and remove everything related to Adobe Reader 8.

Mxz...@adobeforums.com

Mar 14, 2009, 5:05:59 PM3/14/09
Hello Sir.Thank you for your prompt response.I did remove the software from the control panel.However,I should have known better not to uninstall it until I successfully install a new version.

Anyway,I did what you instructed me to do.I'm still unsuccessful.Any further advise/recommendation?

Thank you again for you assistance.

Pat_Wi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 16, 2009, 1:15:20 AM3/16/09
Installing 9.x will automatically remove earlier versions of Adobe Reader, so you don't have to worry about it.

About the error message you are getting - can you check the permissions of that registry key?

Maria...@adobeforums.com

Mar 16, 2009, 8:19:54 PM3/16/09
Hi Folks,

Interesting thread that I would like to add to it. I have three problems:

Tried to install Reader 9.1 and got "network resource not available..." I searched my entire drive for .msp filetype, found zero such files. Hit 'cancel' on the error message and the installation proceeded and said 'completed succesfully.'

Despite this, Reader v.7.0.5 is still on my hard-drive. I did 'uninstall' from add/delete software but got the same error message about the missing .msp file and therefore cannot uninstall. So, installing v. 9.1 did not remove previous versions.

Now, I see on add/remove software that Reader v9.1 is 222 MB!!!!! Yikes! At the download page, it said it was only 41.9 MB. Is it really that big?

I will try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, but would appreciate any insight, advice, commiseration... :)

Thanks.

--Maria

Pat_Wi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 16, 2009, 11:21:39 PM3/16/09

Is it really that big?

On my Windows XP it is only 205MB (English version).

aef...@adobeforums.com

Mar 17, 2009, 4:27:32 PM3/17/09
I have the same problem trying to install Reader 9.1, uninstall 8 and I also had removed all entries with the Windows Install Clean up continues outgoing me the same error and pulls back the installation. Unable to open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS
That key does not exist as you can give access rights ... also the route is not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32 is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

I apologize for my English translator :-)

Pat_Wi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 17, 2009, 11:41:56 PM3/17/09

I have the same problem...

No, this is a totally different problem; please start a new thread for a new problem.

aef...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 3:30:07 AM3/18/09
I agree.
I open new thread: "I can not install Adobe Reader 9.1"
Thanks.

Mxz...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 7:43:57 AM3/18/09
Sorry my pc got messed up after downloading the window uninstall utility cleaner.

Anyway,not sure what you mean by checking the permission of the registry. The message I got was exactly the same as aef_aef posted above.Message says "error 1402.\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS".

Thanx again for your help.

aef...@adobeforums.com

Mar 19, 2009, 8:46:29 AM3/19/09
Thanks Mxz Elz seemed to me that was the same. However it also opened the other thread.
Let's see if someone can guide us a little about the solution, I would not like having to install another browser.

Mxz...@adobeforums.com

Mar 21, 2009, 5:30:42 AM3/21/09
aef_aef

I have successfully re-installed Adobe Reader on my pc.I used a powerful software to cleaned up all Adobe Reader files on my pc. Softawre is call WinCleaner.You can either buy it from a store(more safe) or downloaded from online.

Others recommended downloading Window Installer Cleanup Utility which okay but be careful.I downloaded this software and my pc just got messed up big time.

take care.

aef...@adobeforums.com

Mar 22, 2009, 11:45:45 AM3/22/09
Thanks Mxz Elz, but I have not succeeded yet.
WinCleaner I tried, I tried the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and the result is that I keep getting the same error: \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS

That key does not exist as you can give access rights ...
I am a little tired of this problem

Pat_Wi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 23, 2009, 2:59:25 AM3/23/09
OK, let's try that one more time.

Do you know how to use the registry editor? If so, open it and navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents; right-click on MSFS and select Permissions - what do you see for your userid? Make sure that you have Full Control.

BEFORE you make any modifications to the registry, backup your registry. A safe and simple utility for registry backups is ERUNT <http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/>.

Calvin_J...@adobeforums.com

Mar 23, 2009, 11:27:57 AM3/23/09
If your using Windows Vista, ensure you've got Administrator privilages. That could be preventing the program from installing properly. It's also possible the registry is locked by another program. The most common culprits are misbehaving anti-virus programs.

aef...@adobeforums.com

Mar 23, 2009, 1:04:59 PM3/23/09
Thanks Pat Willene and thanks Calvin Jefferson for contributing ideas.
The key does not exist in the registry, I have imported from another PC was that even if and I have full privileges to all users although we always try to install it as administrator. I have also tried to disable the antivirus. The fact is that the error persists.
Is desperate. :-(

Rune_K._...@adobeforums.com

Mar 27, 2009, 6:30:22 AM3/27/09
Are you certain that the registry error does not change to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI and then to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL?

I had the same problem trying to uninstall 9.1, and finally I succeded. If you do not have this, you can import them or make them yourself (do not know if that is clever, but it worked for me with the MSFS registry - value 0000 00 00). Unfortunately I cannot give you the values as I did uninstall it and I do not intend to reinstall it :)

Good luck!

Rune

aef...@adobeforums.com

Mar 28, 2009, 4:51:30 AM3/28/09
Thanks Rune K. Andersen for the contribution. If I tried again to say that regardless of the keys to another computer and giving them any rights, including the values they put zero commented. The result of all these attempts is again the same message. Sure the error is something on my computer but it seems incredible that Adobe does not provide us with the solution or the cause of the problem.

hammer...@adobeforums.com

Mar 29, 2009, 9:44:57 PM3/29/09
I'm running Reader 9.0 with XP Pro and IE 8. In trying to install 9.1 I get the Error 1402 message. Right-clicking on MSFS appears to indicate that I have Administrator rights. All suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.