Can't open .pdf files in Photoshop 5

Omega

Jan 2, 2003, 6:42:31 AM1/2/03
For some reason, my photoshop v5 won't open .pdf files created in AReader v5.
Reader will open o.k but Photoshop gives error = parser error "can't open - can't parse"
Can anyone help please ?
Happy New Year

Carol Steele

Jan 2, 2003, 7:38:55 AM1/2/03
Photoshop 5 was released well before Acrobat 5 and so there is a version
incompatibility - you would probably have to save the pdf in Acrobat 3 for
it to open in Photoshop 5.

--
Carol
=======

Omega

Jan 2, 2003, 1:55:06 PM1/2/03
Thanks Carol, can I contact you direct, to discuss this matter please ?

Carol Steele

Jan 2, 2003, 7:11:02 PM1/2/03
No, I'm afraid not.

The whole ethos of a forum of this type is to ask questions openly - this
way you are far more likely to get several answers - plus it helps if other
users are experiencing similar problems they can then follow the discourse
to help them solve their problems.

Don't be frightened to ask questions - the only dumb one is the one which
you are fearful to ask <s>. We are here to help newbies and oldbies alike.

deaton

Jan 3, 2003, 1:25:32 AM1/3/03
Omega, follow Carol's advice and hang in here with us. We'll all help get your problem sorted out!

Bob Levine

Jan 3, 2003, 9:19:35 AM1/3/03
>We'll all help get your problem sorted out!

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, the problem has been sorted out. Either
save the PDFs back to an earlier version or upgrade to PS 7.0.

Bob

dave milbut

Jan 3, 2003, 9:28:13 AM1/3/03
Bob...

jerk! :)

gr&d, dave

Omega

Jan 6, 2003, 5:25:38 AM1/6/03
Thanks Carol & Bob.
I don't have an earlier version,,, & am having trouble downloading v7 Trial at the moment.
How certain are you that this is my prob,,,
As I'm using v5 PS & Reader,,, is there an ultimum v of either that will sort me out ?
Am I right in assuming that I need a later version of PS or earlier version of Reader ?
All the best
Omega

BLUDVLZ

Jan 6, 2003, 12:01:20 PM1/6/03
You need either a new version of Photoshop, or you need to create the PDF files with the Distiller compatibility set to Acrobat 3 (PDF 1.2).

To do this all you have to do is launch Distiller, and under SETTINGS>JOB OPTIONS make the change in the compatibility dropdown.

Bob Levine

Jan 6, 2003, 12:23:19 PM1/6/03
If you are not creating the PDFs yourself, then you have no choice. You
have to upgrade Photoshop.

Bob

Carol Steele

Jan 6, 2003, 6:50:38 PM1/6/03
Omega,

Do as Blud suggested - use Distiller when you create your PDF file - and
make sure that you set it to be compatible with Acrobat 3

Mellors

Jan 8, 2003, 12:53:45 PM1/8/03
sorry, I havn't got Distiller,,, nor can I see it on Adobe site.

also, I have had to re-register as this site wouldn't accept my previous names ! Is this a regular occurance ?

Omega

Bazzer

Jan 11, 2003, 6:52:02 AM1/11/03
sory to ask,,, where is 'distillers',,, or is it a seperate program ?
omega

YrbkMgr

Jan 11, 2003, 12:40:11 PM1/11/03
Bazzer,

Distiller is the printer driver that converts all your documents to Adobe PDF format. It is part of Adobe Acrobat.

From any application: File|Print|.

<shrug>

dave milbut

Jan 11, 2003, 2:12:36 PM1/11/03
Should have read: File> Print>

select distiller as the print device

YrbkMgr

Jan 12, 2003, 12:47:57 AM1/12/03
Yeah, that was weird. I did HTML and didn't even know it!

YrbkMgr

Jan 12, 2003, 12:59:35 AM1/12/03
Heck, I can't even spell HTML!

dave milbut

Jan 12, 2003, 12:58:34 AM1/12/03
select is an html stmt that causes the dropdown box. the forums sw did some creative interpretation.

dave milbut

Jan 12, 2003, 1:00:17 AM1/12/03
lol!

LenHewitt

Jan 12, 2003, 7:41:28 AM1/12/03
Tony,

I've fixed your message - if you want to display a legal HTML tag (in the above case is was <select) you need to type:

&lt; instead of <

Bazzer

Jan 13, 2003, 4:12:27 AM1/13/03
??????????

Gustavo Sanchez

Jan 13, 2003, 4:53:22 AM1/13/03
Omega/Bazzer,

To put it all together: You are trying to open a PDF that has a higher format that your Photoshop version accepts.

Besides, you talk about Acrobat Reader. This is only a part of a suite of programs under the name of "Acrobat", by Adobe. There you have, among othe things "Acrobat", "Distiller" and "Acrobat Reader". Distiller is a virtual printer that makes PDF documents. It is esential. Without it you cannot make PDFs.

The Acrobat "suite" is not freeware but it is worth every bloody cent you put into it. The Acrobat "Reader" is freeware so that anyone anywhere can read a PDF document (the idea is: to make you pay, to see you don't pay).

Then, either you make your PDFs with "low" or "old" kind of PDF so that your Photoshop reads them or you upgrade your Photoshop. No other solution.

¿Everything clear now?

PS. And usually you just have to register once. One name and one password.

Bazzer

Jan 13, 2003, 12:40:59 PM1/13/03
many thanks,,, as you say,,, things are getting clearer ???
it's a bit tough when someone send a file that you can't open though eh ?
I am hoping to get Photoshop 7 soon - will this do the trick ? Also, will look into obtaining Distiller.
thanks again
Omega