Bad table index

Betty Walters

Sep 17, 2003, 11:33:26 AM9/17/03
After embedding a table from Adobe Table 3.0 into my Pagemaker 7.0 newsletter, saving and closing the file, I can NOT reopen the file. Error message: Cannot open table/Internal error: Bad table index. When trying to re-save the table to the newsletter, I get this message from the Table Editor: File contains bad length (6833) in Record ID -24096. My OS is Windows XP. Is there anything I can do to get this file opened?

Rob Searle

Sep 19, 2003, 2:16:46 PM9/19/03
Your PM file is probably damaged beyond repair. If you do manage to open it, "saving as" to a new file name, "back-saving" to a previous version and then saving again to V7 may get rid of the problem. If you can get it open, immediately delete the troublesome table and do as "save as" under the same name to purge it from PM's record.

Hopefully, you have a back-up of the file from before you put in the table. If so, continue the job with that, but "place" a new version of the table. That's the only safe way to get graphics etc into PageMaker.

If you haven't got a back-up you can probably rescue the articles and illustrations in the damaged file (but not the dodgy table). Create a new PM file, do "place", select the damaged file and select each article and illustration in turn.

John Davies

Sep 20, 2003, 8:52:03 AM9/20/03
Hi, Betty,

There's more advice in the PM KB:

Troubleshooting Unopenable PageMaker 7.x Publications in Windows
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f38a.htm>

Troubleshooting Damaged Publications (PageMaker 6.0-7.x on Windows or Mac OS)
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2f3d6.htm>

Also, do not embed TE files - save them as EPS and place the resulting file. You have found out why.

Iechyd da! John
13:51 20/09/2003 BST

Bob Levine

Sep 20, 2003, 9:05:02 AM9/20/03

> Also, do not embed TE files - save them as EPS and place the resulting file. You have found out why.

Have you ever tried to export an EPS file from Adobe Table on WinXP? It
doesn't work.

Bob

John Davies

Sep 20, 2003, 12:07:31 PM9/20/03
Hi, Bob,

a) I still use TE2.1. TE3 is a loada ********.
b) I'm still using Win2K.
c) I'm happy with that setup too.

Iechyd da! John
17:07 20/09/2003 BST

Bob Levine

Sep 20, 2003, 1:11:52 PM9/20/03
> a) I still use TE2.1. TE3 is a loada ********.

I use InDesign.

> b) I'm still using Win2K.

A fine operating system. But WinXP came with the new box.

> c) I'm happy with that setup too.

Then all's well. :)

Bob

saiteja...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 7:02:29 AM3/14/16
On Wednesday, 17 September 2003 21:03:26 UTC+5:30, Betty Walters wrote:
> After embedding a table from Adobe Table 3.0 into my Pagemaker 7.0 newsletter, saving and closing the file, I can NOT reopen the file. Error message: Cannot open table/Internal error: Bad table index. When trying to re-save the table to the newsletter, I get this message from the Table Editor: File contains bad length (6833) in Record ID -24096. My OS is Windows XP. Is there anything I can do to get this file opened?

saiteja...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2016, 7:02:49 AM3/14/16