Adobe Table 3.0, PageMaker 7.0.1 and Windows XP sp1

Jerry Langley

Sep 23, 2003, 4:11:22 PM9/23/03
When I add a Adobe Table 3.0 table to my PageMaker 7.0.1 document I get errors upon close of Table 3.0. The table DOES get created in the Pagemaker document, only I cannot revise it. If I double click it; it will only let me create a whole new table. Or return with an OLE error.

Steps to reproduce bug:
1.Click edit.

2.Select insert object.

3.Select adobe table 3.0 document.

4. Enter data into table 3.0

5. Close table and return to document.

Results:

Adobe Table 3.0: TABLE30.EXE - Application Error
The Instruction at "0x00483f80" referenced memory at "0x2b258513". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Adobe Table 3.0: TABLE30.EXE - Application Error
The Instruction at "0x77f58ddf" referenced memory at "0xdc84621e". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.

After these errors the table gets placed into the document but it will not allow you to make changes to it. Any attempt to double click the table once it is in PageMaker will cause Adobe Table 3.0 to create a new table. And from time to time this error will occur when trying to edit a table:

Adobe PageMaker
Cannot use OLE object.
PageMaker cannot start the server application. Make sure there is enough memory and that the server is installed properly. Continue 8913:6812

I have recreated my Windows user profile, I have reinstalled PageMaker as an Administrative user, I have given my own user administrative access to the systems and all to no avail.

Email me for screenshots of the problem. I am having this problem on over 30 seperate computers currently.

Thanks.

Jerry Langley (jerry....@nhmccd.edu)

Bob Levine

Sep 23, 2003, 4:17:43 PM9/23/03
NEVER use edit>insert object. That said a quick search of the forum will
reveal that Adobe Table simply doesn't work on XP. I haven't found
anyone who's been successful.

If you really need to do tables, I stongly encourage you look into
InDesign or create them in Word, create a PDF of the table and place
that. Or copy and paste from Word to Illustrator or Corel Draw and save
as EPS. Place the EPS file in PM.

Bob

John Davies

Sep 23, 2003, 6:00:14 PM9/23/03
Hi, Jerry,

Bob's said it all.

You can check out the FAQs at <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ef8504d>

Iechyd da! John
23:00 23/09/2003 BST

Diane_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 11:15:19 AM10/15/03
Bob,

I am a Windows XP user who is also having trouble with Adobe Table. I get errors when trying to save as an .eps file for my commercial printer. Do have any other suggestions besides those already posted for an alternative application to create tables? Thanks.

Gabrie...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 12:56:40 PM10/15/03
In my opinion it really is best to use an alternative application. As far as I know, AdobeTable isn't a good option for anyone adding tables.

Jay_C...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 1:09:25 PM10/15/03
When I used Adobe Table I would invariably end up saving as an .eps the
opening up in Illustrator, jacking up the document output resolution to
2400 dpi Then converting the type to outlines, and saving as a copy to
place in Pagemaker.
Jay

Robert...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 2:13:40 PM10/15/03
No, Diane. I don't. Table 3.04 doesn't work with XP. I've heard that
there is 3.05 that may work. Try calling Adobe and see if they can help.

Bob

Robert...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 2:12:47 PM10/15/03
Jay,

IME, Table simply doesn't work in XP. You CAN'T export as EPS because
all you get are errors. I've heard tale of a Table 3.05 but there's no
patch or download to get to that version.

I'm sure glad I have ID.

Bob

Jay_C...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 2:19:14 PM10/15/03
Robert_Levine wrote:

> Jay,
>
> IME, Table simply doesn't work in XP.

Sorry I haven't used Table in about 4-5 years and that was on win95 or
98, but even then I had a hard time outputting pm files with tbls in
them. I don't even install the thing any more.
Jay

Diane_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 4:42:55 PM10/15/03
Well, Bob, it appears that I have Adobe Table 3.05 and am still getting the errors. I guess I'm now resigned to using Word and Excel for my charts. No ID in my future, I don't think. Thanks for the clarifications!

Robert...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 4:53:49 PM10/15/03
Well, just make sure you create PDFs of them and then place the PDFs.
Don't copy and paste from Word or Excel.

Bob

Gabrie...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2003, 5:02:00 PM10/15/03

Don't copy and paste from Word or Excel.

And do not use the insert object command either.

Clint_W...@adobeforums.com

Oct 17, 2003, 12:52:54 PM10/17/03
I have found that the troubles TABLE 3.05 were giving me in converting to an EPS were boggling - but I found a work-around. I export as an EMF - open that in AI - convert the colors/fonts there and everything retains format perfectly - saved as an EPS. I've made a few nice tables this way.

Granted the Table interface is not the most friendly - or flexible - but now that I have learned to work w/in the limitations, I've got rate boards, applications, forms and other documents that I can easily place in PM.

Sounds like a lot of work - but it really isn't. For some reason(you know - just 'some' reason) Table will not properly place EPS files - the PMS colors are never correct - etc... This procedure really has been handy for me...

news.cis.dfn.de

Oct 20, 2003, 9:21:05 AM10/20/03
I have XP pro (all the updates) and use table 3.04 occasionally for some
earlier forms work without any serious problems. I export the table as a EMF
graphic, which I place into Pagemaker 7.01. How do you export as an eps?
I only have a minor problem with cursor position offset while typing. I
avoid it for new work.
My cpu usage also shoots to 99-100%, wierd, I have Pagemaker and Photoshop
on at the same time, with no noticeable slowdown.
Rick

<Robert...@adobeforums.com> wrote in message

gargs....@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2020, 1:03:46 AM7/31/20