Error: Missing CP1252.txt file ???

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 2, 2009, 10:26:35 PM3/2/09
I keep getting the error message "Adobe InDesign is missing required files. Please re-install." "Missing Files: CP1252.txt."
I've re-installed it twice and then I checked and the file is actually there.
I'm trying to download the trial version of InDesign CS4 on a Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
Thanks for any help.
Chuck

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 7:46:07 AM3/3/09
Sorry, I should have said the FIRST path, with TypeSupport fully spelled out, is newer.

Peter

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 7:44:29 AM3/3/09
The problem may be WHERE it is, not that it's missing altogether. I've just done a search for the file and come up with two candidates (on my XP system) for where the file should be:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\Win and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSpt\Unicode\Mappings\Win

I suspect that these are the same files, but the two paths are used by different versions of Adobe applications. The second path seems to be newer, so I'd start with that.

Peter

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 8:20:37 AM3/3/09
Peter,
Thank you for trying, but I checked and the file is there. If I read your post correctly, you said it is TWO places, but I didn;t see a difference in your writing. Am I not seeing the difference?
Thank you again.
Chuk

Robert Tkaczyk

Mar 3, 2009, 8:57:57 AM3/3/09
this is where I have these files - Vista 64bit Home Premium

C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS4\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\Fonts\TypeSpt\Unicode\Mappings\Win
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS4\Acrobat 9.0\Resource\TypeSupport\Unicode\Mappings\win

I have all CreativeSuites installed and redirected to "c:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\":

C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\20x\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS1\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS2\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS3\
C:\Program_Files_x86\Adobe\CS4\

I think these TXT files are identical
if you want - I can send it to you

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 9:14:41 AM3/3/09
I've also got those Acrobat related installations, but I doubt ID is looking there since you can install it without Acrobat.

The difference between the two paths was in the spelling of the TypeSupport vs TypeSpt folder name. If you didn't have earlier versions of Creative Suite products installed you may not have one of the folders. If you've got only the short version, try copying the folder and pasting the copy into the common folder with the original, then change the name to the long version.

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 9:27:37 AM3/3/09
Robin, Thank you. I did not download Acrobat 9.0, but am in the process now. I'll see if those files show up there.

Peter, Sorry, I do not have the shorter file "TypeSpt", just the full-length one.

Thanks for trying.

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 10:06:33 AM3/3/09
I downloaded Acrobat 9 to see if that would help, "CP1252.txt" is right where it should be, but I still cannot open InDesign CS4 and now I can't open Indesign CS3. It gives me the same window. ?!?!?!

Has anyone been throught the deleting & re-installing process of all Adobe products?
Thanks,
Chuck

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 10:23:51 AM3/3/09
Chuck, I get that error when I rename the TypeSupport folder.

I'm thinking this may be a case of having installed into the wrong Program files directory. Do a system restore and install in the 32-bit program files directory and see if that helps.

Peter

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 10:31:33 AM3/3/09
Peter, I'm dowloading my files from Adobe and didn't see the option for 64 or 32 bit. Did I miss it?
Chuck

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 12:43:06 PM3/3/09
No, it's the same download, but there are two "program files" locations in 64-bit versions of Vista. I beleive the the 32 bit version is under the x386 directory, but I don't have Vista, so I'm not certain, and I'm not even sure it's necessary to put CS4 in that folder.

Let's see if we can get Bob to pop in. He runs Vista 64.

boblevine

Mar 3, 2009, 12:56:02 PM3/3/09
32 bit programs must be installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Bob

Robert Tkaczyk

Mar 3, 2009, 1:08:22 PM3/3/09
I have this CP1252.txt file ONLY in these two dirs

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

Robert Tkaczyk

Mar 3, 2009, 1:09:33 PM3/3/09
no - if program give you choice - you can install it anywhere ;)

robin

--
www.adobescripts.com

boblevine

Mar 3, 2009, 1:22:04 PM3/3/09
That is incorrect! 32 bit programs should never be installed in the
Program Files folder.

Bob

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 7:31:27 PM3/3/09
Thank you all for your help, although I think I'm going to delete everything and start over. I'll post the results afterward.
Thanks again,
Chuck

Chuck_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 4, 2009, 8:53:22 AM3/4/09
Hi All,
The "Clean CS4 Script" and new install went well. I have no error messages. Now I just have to find another reason to procrastinate real work.
Thank you for all of your posts, time and efforts.
I really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Chuck

daroso...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2019, 10:53:16 AM9/8/19
Solucion a error:
“missing file Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/TypeSupport… /CP1252.txt”

En realidad sí tenía el archivo requerido, pero lo tenía en: Archivos de programa, pero no en: Archivos de programa (x86). Es en esta carpeta donde debe estar.

Así que simplemente copié la carpeta:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSupport
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSupport
y listo, inicié el programa y ya arrancó.