Re: "InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 26, 2008, 3:18:33 PM6/26/08
I was installed Indesign CS3 complete. When I open it, first it's run to open Indesign Software but after I working something, it's warning error:

InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error signature
AppName: indesign.exe
AppVer: 5.0.0.458
ModName: cooltype.dll
ModVer: 5.4.15.1
Offset: 000c1842

Please teach me repair it. Thank you.

Dov Isaacs

Jun 26, 2008, 3:40:34 PM6/26/08
CoolType.dll is InDesign (and Illustrator's, Photoshop's, and Acrobat's) internal font engine. If it terminated like this, it is very possible that it found a very corrupted or invalid font file. Check to see whether you have any "dodgy" fonts installed on your system such as any freeware or shareware fonts that you might have installed. Note that as far as we know, none of the Microsoft Windows or Office fonts are problematic at all for Adobe applications. It's that other stuff that you need to check.

Note that this might be a time-consuming process to check all the "extra" fonts on your system. I would recommend removing all such non-Adobe and non-Microsoft fonts and then seeing if the problem reoccurs with InDesign. If not, add back the fonts you really need, only a few at a time, until you find one or more that cause the problem.

Let us know what you find.

- Dov

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Jun 26, 2008, 5:15:31 PM6/26/08
And update to 5.0.2

Tony_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 27, 2008, 11:39:14 AM6/27/08
I have updated Indesign CS3 to 5.0.2 but there are still errors. I check my folder Fonts. I view one font name Generic.otf (6Kb), I deleted it but i can't. I deleted this font follow the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SING\AssocCache\generic.otf and I deleted same chinese font.

Oh my God! My Indesign had working.

Thank you Dov Isaacs, Thank you Peter Spier very much!!!

gues...@adobeforums.com

Oct 22, 2008, 7:52:29 AM10/22/08
Hi All,

While iam comparing two pdf's iam getting a error saying "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." The error report shows as error in module name acrobat.dll. Iam not sure why this error is occuring. Any soultions?

-Vidya

jong...@adobeforums.com

Oct 22, 2008, 7:55:18 AM10/22/08
Yes, ask in the Acrobat forum. This InDesign forum has encountered a problem and you need to close it.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Oct 22, 2008, 8:50:52 AM10/22/08
We seem to be drifting, lately, into a more snarky response direction when dealing with folks who are here by mistake.

I always thought one of the things that set this forum apart from others, like the Photoshop forums in particular, was the civilized and polite nature of posts. :)

(and this is not directed at anyone in particular -- just a reminder that we all didn't start out as experts and that not everyone speaks our language)

Peter

tony...@adobeforums.com

Oct 27, 2008, 5:49:24 AM10/27/08
hi all, am encountering a problem with indesign. it was working fine until yesterday, i've un-installed and re-installed it so many times.

and when the program loads, it states indesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: indesign.exe AppVer: 5.0.0.458 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000b7a4

can some one please help with my issue.thanks..

boblevine

Oct 27, 2008, 8:03:19 AM10/27/08
First thing you need to do is update to 5.0.4.

Bob

Clai...@adobeforums.com

Oct 29, 2008, 6:08:50 PM10/29/08
I'm using InDesign CS3 version 5.0 on a PC with windows XP.
The file I have been working in now has a red text box with an "X" inside it and a red bar on top and below. When I try to select it or just scroll over it I get the error message: InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." You can pick Debug or Close. Either one gives me another error message:
"The exception unknown software exception (0xC000000d) occured in the application at location 0x78138a8c. Click OK to terminate the program." If I click OK or simply close the message it just shuts down the entire program. I have tried to get into earlier versions of the document that didn't have this issue and now they have it too. I have also uninstalled and re-installed CS3. Any suggestions? Is this file completly corrupt or fixable? I'm a newbie so I have no idea what to do. Thanks.

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Oct 29, 2008, 6:57:44 PM10/29/08
Claire, that sounds more like an image frame , but that doesn't solve the problem.

First thing to do is update to 5.0.4

Next is to try exporting the file to inx and see how that behaves when you open it.

Peter

Kenneth...@adobeforums.com

Oct 29, 2008, 11:24:06 PM10/29/08
> I'm using InDesign CS3 version 5.0 on a PC with windows XP.

Hold down CTRL while going to Help > About Indesign. It's going to tell
you what point version you have. The latest version is 5.0.4.682. If you
don't have this version, go to Help > Updates.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.