InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports may be missing

LEI...@adobeforums.com

Dec 7, 2006, 6:45:05 PM12/7/06

I just installed the Adobe Creative Suite CS2 on my machine and opened Adobe InDesign for my first time. I created a new document but i'm unable to open up a jpg within my document. I keep getting this error: "Cannot open the file _____. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing or the file may be opened by another application." Well, I can guarantee you the file is not open in another application. I'm simply trying to open up a .jpg to put into my document. Also, I have tried to open up a QuarkXpress version 5 document and I'm getting the same exact error message. What plug-in am I missing? I just bought the whole suite and now it's not complete? Am I doing something wrong? Why won't it open up a plain old .jpg? Please assist as I am confused.... and searching through the help and other areas for free plug-ins that might help. But no such luck.

Thanks,

Peter_T...@adobeforums.com

Dec 10, 2006, 2:16:00 PM12/10/06
As to the jpeg, you need to use the "File > Place..." command to place it in a document. InDesign cannot "Open" jpegs, or any other images for that matter.

Regarding the QuarkXPress 5 question, InDesign can only open QuarkXPress 3.x and 4.x documents. To open the v5 document, you will need to open it in QuarkXPress 5, and down-save it to v4 format, or, you can look into the "Q2ID" plugin from Markzware which is not real cheap, but gets very good reviews.

sahilk...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2013, 3:53:53 PM3/5/13
thanks for the help. Good work

shrest...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2013, 3:27:44 AM3/9/13
it was real helpful . thank you very much. from NEPAL( country of Mt.everest)_

alyss...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2017, 2:33:46 PM2/20/17
Thanks, this was very useful as a beginner!