pasting from Excel to InDesign

J Crofoot

Jun 3, 2003, 2:16:25 PM6/3/03
I'm working on a pricelist that requires copying Excel spreadsheet cells into InDesign for layout and printing. I have managed to place the cells, but I have a possible formatting problem. Certain number groups are importing with quotes around them.
Example1 - page number column: multiple page numbers which are separated by a comma have quotes around them, single page numbers do not.
Example 2 - "description" column: any cell with a number (ie. size) in this column shows up with quotes around the entire contents of the cell, as well as the number itself.
Additional problem: my price column is just fine, no quotes.

I have been doing this in quark for years very easily without any problems... I'm not going back to quark, so I need to figure out what's happening.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Wolfgang Widmer

Jun 3, 2003, 5:57:49 PM6/3/03
Hello,
I'm near the absolute solution about such excel importing problems.
There are much more problems to manage the link when values are changed into excel, because indesign does not know at future relinks the ranges of imported cells at the generation of the document.
So i'm working on a script to put the selection to the table so it's anytime possible to refresh the values and only the values, so the made design at the indesign document should be equal.
But as said at the beginning i'm only near the solution, it's not finished yet.

Dave Saunders

Jun 3, 2003, 6:25:04 PM6/3/03
Script to do that, Wolfgang, already exists here: Dave Saunders "Pasting text into ID w/o formatting" 9/12/02 3:59am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de55022/35>

I always though the problem with quotes was an Excel thing. It puts quotes around any string that has commas in it in case you want to create a comma-delimited file, even when you don't.

Dave

Wolfgang Widmer

Jun 4, 2003, 2:09:07 AM6/4/03
Hello,
Thanks for the hint.
First i need that thing for Windows, but it could be rescripted.
Second for my way it's not enaugh, because i have many of such tables to import the values, so i need some robot to do that over a full document.
Third i have also manual indesign entered text which should not change during a refresh of data such as prices.

J Crofoot

Jun 4, 2003, 3:14:25 PM6/4/03
Thanks, Dave!
After a little work & some help (I'm unfamiliar with scripts) the problem was solved!