Re: CS3 when saving message "an unknown error has occurred"

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 8, 2008, 11:03:24 AM7/8/08
I don't have Zune, nor do I use Zune (other than the desktop theme). Am I missing something or what?

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Jul 9, 2008, 4:20:30 AM7/9/08
Nick,

I don't have Zune, nor do I use Zune (other than the desktop theme). Am
I missing something or what?

Hopefully the problems with it.

kevin...@adobeforums.com

Jul 13, 2008, 6:18:00 PM7/13/08
I can confirm this behaviour with both Avira and with NOD 32 , simply disabling either of these products will allow saving in illustrator. I have a hunch it is something along the lines of virtual keys and for some reason I have yet to come across the issue when the AI file doesnt have fonts in it , I havent had chnce to mess about and see if different types of fonts behave differently , but I can say I can save ai files sometimes .... Ie even with antvirus running I can save a simple illustartor file with shapes and so forth , but the moment I add fonts in then I have to disable anitvirus , just during the save , then I can turn it back on and work normally ... go figure ... PS I didnt see this happen when I used to run AVG7 , but the version 8 is really not goof for me , so I recently had to change to a differen Antivirus , then all the Ai troubles started ... I even did a clean install with only antivirus and Illustrator .. still had the issue .. the one thing I havvent tried , is a clean instal with no antivirus , install illustrator , thne add antivirus after AI install .. anyone done this and had good results?

PS my system is VIsta Ultimate AMD proc 1g ram Nvidia cards

charit...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 12:37:50 PM7/17/08
Funny that my last post was deleted. Adobe can't hang with criticism or venting. But today I have a solution that I found on www.zuneboards.com so hopefully adobe admins don't delete me this time.

"Also, just a little information for anybody else with this problem. You CAN still save .Ai files if you hide all the layers before saving.

Unfortunately when you hide the layers you can't save or export the final version .pdf file to send to print, and there's no work around for that...a big problem.

I've verified the Zune software is the only thing affecting this through uninstallation and reinstallation of both programs several times."

Thanks Zune Zewbie, ivanalbright. I (L) that you found a semi-solution, for now.

kevin...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 7:20:04 PM7/17/08
I defintly had the exact same issue with NOD32 and Avira , with either of these products active cant save .ai with visable layers and text

turn off NOD or Avria and all good

Alos latest patch ( 13.02) seems to have sorted it for me at least

Nick_M...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 7:02:00 AM7/21/08
Hi folks,

I'm having the same issue. Illustrator CS3 files WITH TEXT in are bringing up the "An Unknown Error Has Occurred" error message.

I'm using Windows Vista with Illustrator 13.0.2

I was using 13.0.1 which gave me the same problem. Updating to 13.0.2 made no difference.
I've reinstalled CS3.
I had Avira AntiVir installed but uninstalled it.
I don't have a Zune.
I've deleted my Settings folder and that hasn't helped.

Files with just images and shapes work fine, it's just text that seems to trigger the error.

Please can someone let me know what to do as I've just lost a morning's work trying to fix this, and I'm not a happy person...

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 7:52:10 AM7/21/08
Nick,

You may try this:

1. Open the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe folder and look for the folder TypeSupport;

2. Create a namesake folder on your Desktop;

3. Move all the contents to the namesake folder.

Nick_M...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 8:43:13 AM7/21/08
Hi there,

The TypeSupport folder was empty.

I did what you suggested anyway (without moving the contents) but no change.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Nick_M...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 1:06:11 PM7/21/08
Right, it DOES save OK if you uncheck the "Create PDF Compatible File" option.

Nick_M...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 3:42:17 PM7/21/08
...unfortunately you can't save the file as a pdf, which isn't any use.

I've now re-installed CS2 so I could get some work done and I'm still getting the same problem - IN CS2. It only happens with documents with text in.

I've lost so much time with this now.

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 5:29:23 PM7/21/08
Nick,

You may try reinstalling Adobe Acrobat.

kevin...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2008, 5:47:20 PM7/21/08
The ony clue I can offer is . Avir and Zune and NOD32 all do something with the virtual keys in Vist. this is ONLY a theroy so if it proves otherwise then so be it , but my current theroy is that Vista handles system paths and registry keys somewhat differently than any incarnation of windows before .. and some programs , or combinations of programs can get into trouble when the stars are aligned properly .. the only way I determined this was by doing a clean install of my system and didnt connect it to the internet or anything , just fresh windows vista ultimate ... then installed Cs3 Master suite .. I have a specific file that I know causes this issue ... it was fine with the clean install ... then , in this case , I installed NOD32 .. problem came right away .. disabled NOD32 when I wanted to save and it worked fine . Mind you I didnt need to UNINSTALL I just needed to disabled it for 30 seconds while I saved my file ... reenabling NOD 32 brought the issue back , disabling problem gone ... I then went ahead and installed all my other softwares , office 2007 , software and drivers for my logitech webcam , BRother MFD , chipset and graphics card drivers ( nividia ) , Spybot search and destroy , Spywareblaster , Adaware , various other bits and bobs ... I then added SP1 to vista and whent online and did all the current updadstes for office and windows , and lastly I updated all my adobe products through adobe updater .. I prefere foxit over adobe reader , so I added that as well ... So now I went to test the issue with savign in illustrator and it is gone ... so hey what the hell ? I am guessing some combination of softwares in my system has worked round the combination of softwares that was causing the issue .. it makes it much harder to track this bug due to it is no longer reproducable on my system ... maybee I will pay round with a Virtual machine or something , but to be honest it is quite a task to wipe and rebuild my machine just to do the testing that I think somebody at Adobe must be getting a paycheck to do :)

David...@adobeforums.com

Aug 4, 2008, 9:00:36 PM8/4/08
I just found out that my Illustrator CS3 is screwed up because if Zune. I uninstalled Zune from my computer and I still cannot save .ai files with text. Any ideas anyone? How is it possible that companies like Microsoft and Adobe take such a long time to fix this issue. It is bad for business. Unfortunately I cannot return my Zune player. I will have to probably sell it on Ebay. I cannot believe this still happens. Shame on both companies. They charge a lot of money for their products and they care very little what happens after the sale.

Christop...@adobeforums.com

Aug 30, 2008, 12:46:56 AM8/30/08
I ended the “Sink” process for WMI (windows media player) and was able to save “.ai” files again. I assume it has to do with the syncing mechanisms used with mp3 players; Zune, SanDisk or others.

Aris_Be...@adobeforums.com

Sep 2, 2008, 5:18:58 PM9/2/08
Here is a way to SAVE your document-SAVE IT AS A PDF w/ "PDF EDITING CAPABILITIES" turned ON. Because then you can close that file and reopen in in Illy with all objects/images/text intact. The only thing is that it merges all your content into 1 layer (but that shouldn't take too long to rearrange.)

Aris_Be...@adobeforums.com

Sep 2, 2008, 5:33:28 PM9/2/08
...continued: 1. Saving it as a PDF actually even keeps your layers intact. So no worries there.

2. After the saving process, Shut down Illy, delete or move your Illustrator cs3 preferences folder from its location, then lanuch Illy. Everything will be back to your default settings, now you can open the PDF by draggin it into Illy, then Saving it as an.ai file. I just saved 6 files that way, NO PROBLEMO!!

Good Luck!

Faraz...@adobeforums.com

Sep 4, 2008, 6:02:10 PM9/4/08
Has the Adobe team provided an update yet? This is extremely frustrating.

Ryan_...@adobeforums.com

Sep 16, 2008, 3:13:28 PM9/16/08
I've had the same problem with saving. I found a fix that worked for me, which was to save the document right after opening it, before I did any work. Illustrator allowed it to save without an error, and after that you can just hit 'Save' rather than 'Save As', and it works fine. If you forget to save straight off, make a new document, save it, then copy paste.

Captai...@adobeforums.com

Sep 16, 2008, 6:26:01 PM9/16/08

Jacob Bugge - 4:52am Jul 21, 08 PST (#26 of 37)

Nick,

You may try this:

Confirmed that this worked for me. I did not have any options to save as anything except PDF. Moved contents of TypeSupport to desktop, restated AI, and all options came back. Moved everything back and everything was back to normal. Hope this helps someone.

Jud...@adobeforums.com

Sep 26, 2008, 12:17:52 PM9/26/08
Thanks Jason Tiff!!! That has solved my 'unknown error' problem!

I was also getting the error message 'operation cannot complete because of an error (CANF)' when I tried to drag vector components to Photoshop. When I tried copying and pasting vector elements to Photoshop it would say 'Could not complete paste command because of error getting data from clipboard or another application [IVCA]'.

Dumping the contents of my preferences folder as described by Jason Tiff has solved ALL the above problems on my Mac in CS3. Thank you sooo much!! I can get back to work now!!

Nick_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 3, 2008, 2:03:07 PM10/3/08
Thanks for the suggestion Captain, unfortunately, no luck -- didn't work at all. At this point, Illustrator for me has been relatively useless. I can't export a file (I export, it looks like it's doing its job, but no file appears). I can't save if there's any content in the layer (unknown error). Ugh.

John_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 4, 2008, 11:38:56 PM10/4/08
I think I found a fix for the "unknown error" problem caused by the Zune for PC (Vista).

I pressed "ctrl-alt-del" then selected "start task manager" and then under the "processes" tab stopped all processes dealing with Zune.

I was able to save no problem after that.

Thanks to all of you who suggested this might be a Zune problem. I also think (can't be sure) that I plugged in my Zune while working on a file, so that might have also contributed to the error.

Jerry_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 14, 2008, 11:04:14 AM11/14/08
FYI, this problem appears to be fixed in Illustrator CS4.

Tyler...@adobeforums.com

Jan 30, 2009, 3:09:54 PM1/30/09
FYI - this has been an ongoing problem with the most basic functionality of Illustrator CS3, so upgrading and giving more money to Adobe is not an option.

My calls to Adobe have blamed this on:

1. Anti-virus software.

2. The fact that my computer is on a network.

3. The thought that my computer is using "roaming profiles". It isn't.

I wish somebody had a fix for this, becuase it has ground work to a halt.

David_C....@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 3:25:46 PM1/31/09
Yeah - I got the same response from Adobe Support that Tyler did. And I paid 60 bucks to hear it. Through my pain and agony I finally had to uninstall/reinstall program ... possibly a corrupted disk. And stay away from external USB hard drives ...

Tyler...@adobeforums.com

Jan 31, 2009, 9:33:46 PM1/31/09
I already tried the uninstall/reboot/reinstall BEFORE I called them and it didn't help. Same ol', same 'ol.

Was there anything you did besides a simple uninstall/reinstall?

Isn't it funny that this problem is reported on both Mac and Windows?