Insufficient Memory was available to complete the operation

Joel_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 7, 2006, 9:51:15 PM11/7/06
I am getting the error Message "Insufficient Memory was available to complete the operation" When I try to place, open or save.

This happens with all images no matter the size, recent was a 32KB Jpg.

I am running a new IBM laptop with 1Gb RAM.

The version of Illustrator is part of the CS1 suite, it is version 11.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

DT...@adobeforums.com

Nov 9, 2006, 12:22:06 PM11/9/06
I have this a lot, I am running a desktop PC with 2GB of ram and a ton of free hard disk space.

This has only started happening recently and I think it's a bit of bug in Illy.

I tend to get it when I am opening several files with a lot of items in each one. My PC isn't actually tunning out of memory (the whole system is only using a quarter of the available) but still this error pops up.

I usually find that when this comes up I tend to loose my tool icons as well. Whatever it's doing usually kills my machines as well while it's opening the files it can't open (well does, but puts them in line mode) but it hardly touches the processor. So it's doing something weired.

I have no idea what it is, but I just thought you would apreciate the knowledge that your not alone.

If I close illy or at the worst do a reboot it usually works fine.

Regards
Paul

Joel_...@adobeforums.com

Nov 9, 2006, 5:24:16 PM11/9/06
I do not get this luxury. Restarting will do nothing on my machine.
I can close done all open programs and still the error appears.

The strange thing is, Photoshop works fine.

I am lucky that my Icons remain!

Larissa Rodriguez

Nov 13, 2006, 9:10:31 PM11/13/06
Joel, I might be wrong, but try this if you're working in Windows:
Start menu -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System. Go to the Advanced Tab, then click on the Settings button under Performance. Go to the Advanced tab and adjust everything for the best performance for Programs. You also might want to make your Virtual Memory paging file size larger.

The above directions might change, depending on what version of Windows you're using, but the general idea is to get into the System properties and make it work well for programs, not background stuff. Illustrator (not to be uncomplimentary) is a resource hog, and not at all ashamed of it.

Hope it helps!

Josh...@adobeforums.com

Nov 22, 2006, 8:32:50 PM11/22/06
Having similar issues, with cs2, 12.0.1. My machine is huge. 4gig ram large page file, 32bit. Illustrator just doesnt work well at all. Three files is the limit, A0 or A1, 18meg each. Have to use eps as haveing pdf issues. Also have serious preview issues with files diplaying in inverse colours, or just gllitched.

alec_a...@adobeforums.com

Dec 20, 2006, 10:04:36 AM12/20/06
I often import dwg to color in the drawings in illustrator cs2. I have found that often my machine will let me open the files but goes into the black line only state. Then I can scale down the drawing and since the files are vector it makes no difference. This is a bigger problem when I want to export something to tiff or jpeg. Often I need to scale so that I have a 11x17 sheet size for exporting regardless of the complexity of the drawing. This can be inconvient when I am trying to go to large indd boards of 40x30 or larger. Any suggestions? Is there a limit to how large illustrator can export to and is it more relient on dimensions of what is to be exported or the amount of lines in the drawing?