How to type grater then & equal to sign

Elena Pechatnikov

Jul 1, 2003, 9:45:32 AM7/1/03
How to type grater then & equal to sign in Illustrator? In MS Word its Alt+242 (ASCII) In Illustrator it doesn’t work. The same problem with less then and equal to sign

Alexander Kogan.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:22:01 AM7/1/03
...err... thinking it twice, are we talking about the ">" and the "=" signs?! You just type them on your keyboard...

BobHill

Jul 1, 2003, 10:13:12 AM7/1/03
Elena,

You always have to put a zero in front of the three digit number (using only the numeric keyboard) for the extended characters (ANSI). Of course the > symbol and = symbol are both on your keyboard. Alt 0242 is ò (grave small O). You can see all the extended characters for each font in Character Map (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map). Click the character and it's ALT number will appear in the lower right box of the character map. Be sure to have the font you wish to use in font box. This is true in all Windows programs, bye the way, which includes MS WORD as well as Illustrator.

Bob

Alexander Kogan.

Jul 1, 2003, 10:19:26 AM7/1/03
Lena,

It all depends on the font you're using.
I couldn't, for example, bring the sign with the Alt+242 combination: it gives me an underline, and 0424 - an "o" with an accent.

You can copy it from Word and paste to Illustrator, but you have to remember the font that Word uses for the symbol (select the symbol and see what the Font list says), and then select the same font in Illustrator. Don't know if it makes sense.

Cheers! udachi!

Elena Pechatnikov

Jul 1, 2003, 11:13:02 AM7/1/03
The sign I mean is not < and= it's 1 sign. I also tried to copy it from character map in Arial and paste in MS Word, Arial. With word it's fine, With Illustrator it gives me ??
In character map from the right side there is no code for this sign as it is for most other signs.
The other people in the office have exactly the same problem. Win XP Illustrator 9, 10
Anyway please try it in Illustrator and let me know if there is a way to get this sign in any font

Thanks a lot

Alexander Kogan.

Jul 1, 2003, 11:31:14 AM7/1/03
...Fe de erratas: "greater than or equal" would be more correct, I guess...

Alexander Kogan.

Jul 1, 2003, 11:27:31 AM7/1/03

The sign I mean is not < and= it's 1 sign.

It would be "greater OR equal" then. In math, it's either one or another, they can't be true simultaneously :)

I bet you have some extended version of Arial font (Cyrillic or something). AI won't work with Unicode :(

Try the next thing: set the Font to Symbol and type Alt-0179. It doesn't look as good as it could be, but it may work as well.

Elena Pechatnikov

Jul 1, 2003, 11:23:00 AM7/1/03
Thanks Bob,
The problem is that there is no number for this sign on the right side of character map. The number is only on the left side and it's U+2265 Is there any way to use this number? I tried to copy from character map and paste in illustrator with the same font, it gives me ?? With MS Word it's fine.

If you can get this sign in Illustrator please let me know the process.
Thanks

LenHewitt

Jul 1, 2003, 11:43:56 AM7/1/03
Actually "<" is "less than" <g>

Elena Pechatnikov

Jul 1, 2003, 11:55:05 AM7/1/03
Thanks Alexander, Of course it's "greater OR equal" sign. And it worked fine with Symbol font and Alt-0179!!!!
Now, how do I get an opposite signe? I tried all the numbers aroind this one but no susess yet.

Alexander Kogan.

Jul 1, 2003, 12:21:39 PM7/1/03
Len,

stop giggling and read the original post :))

Elena,

the opposite is 0163

Also, you can find the rest of them in Windows's Character Map. The shortcuts there are somehow messed up (they don't always show the Alt sequence), but you can count the Alt sequence from the previous Alt sequence in the list.

BobHill

Jul 2, 2003, 9:52:19 AM7/2/03
Elena,

Use the SAME font in Illustrator as was used in WORD (as long as it was TrueType or Type1 font - no Unicode fonts) and the same extended characters will be available in Illustrator for the SAME font file. If when you click on the extended character and there is no ALT+xxxx digits in the lower right, it's probably not a TT or T1 font. Also, could it be from a "math" font, which for some reason even though it's a TT font does not have ALT numbers?

Bob

BobHill

Jul 2, 2003, 10:09:42 AM7/2/03
That's why! No unicode in Illustrator.

Bob

Alexander Kogan.

Jul 2, 2003, 10:08:29 AM7/2/03
Bob,

it wasn't a math font, it was good old Arial, but it was Unicode...

sascha.v...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2015, 10:06:40 AM6/11/15
On Tuesday, July 1, 2003 at 9:45:32 AM UTC-4, Elena Pechatnikov wrote:
> How to type grater then & equal to sign in Illustrator? In MS Word its Alt+242 (ASCII) In Illustrator it doesn’t work. The same problem with less then and equal to sign

On my Mac I can do "Alt >" = ≥ and "Alt <" = ≤

This might also work for PC as it is used in MS Word.

sole.wi...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2015, 10:49:42 AM10/17/15
On Tuesday, July 1, 2003 at 9:45:32 AM UTC-4, Elena Pechatnikov wrote:
> How to type grater then & equal to sign in Illustrator? In MS Word its Alt+242 (ASCII) In Illustrator it doesn't work. The same problem with less then and equal to sign

Thank you, Elena for ASCing this question. I just now needed the answer at 20151017.1449Z - - - and here it was.