Re: Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Gavin_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 28, 2006, 9:57:42 AM6/28/06
I've found the solution . . . for me anyway! I've fixed the problem of not being able to save pdf compatible .ai files, .ai files and .pdf files!

I used to have adobe CS but then I upgraded to CS2. For a while I had both installed on my computer (XP SP2) but recently uninstalled version 11 (CS). That's when I started to have the problems described in this thread with CS2, only I've just made the link that perhaps it was something to do with uninstalling CS that caused the problem in the first place.

I found this thread <http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9630> where illustrator cs2 users were having similar problems. I discovered that instead of having over 160 something fonts in my adobe required fonts folder, I just had 1!

So, here's what I did. I uninstalled CS2. Reinstalled CS (Version 11), found the required fonts folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps and copied it to my desktop. Installed CS2 (remember CS is still installed at this point). Checked to see if I could now save .pdf files, .ai files, and .ai pdf compatible files and I could!!

So, uninstalled CS (version 11) leaving my machine with just CS2. I checked the required fonts folder, and again, It just had one file in there after uninstalling CS so copied the fonts from the required fonts folder from my desktop to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps fired up CS2 and it works perfectly now!

It WAS a fonts issue . . . guys, check to see if this folder exists and that you have around 160 files in it. If not, I'm convinced this is what the problem is!

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Jun 29, 2006, 4:04:20 AM6/29/06
Excellent, Gavin.

Shane, are you reading this?

ShaneA...@adobeforums.com

Jun 29, 2006, 11:13:56 AM6/29/06
Oh yes...

When I got the email for Gavin's post yesterday and we could reproduce the issue, I about peed myself. Pardon my languange...

Thank you Gavin! ...wanna work in QE? :)

Shane
Adobe TS

ShaneA...@adobeforums.com

Jun 29, 2006, 11:51:17 AM6/29/06
Hi Gabriel,

We are looking for a workaround to fix the issue. Stay tuned.

Shane
Adobe TS

Gabriel_A...@adobeforums.com

Jun 29, 2006, 11:34:51 AM6/29/06
Nice.

But i dont have CS to move that folder.
What can i do ?

Gavin_...@adobeforums.com

Jun 30, 2006, 5:36:21 AM6/30/06

Thank you Gavin! ...wanna work in QE?

LOL. Well, I can't take all the credit . . . the solution was kinda pointed out to me in the thread I mentioned. I'm just glad it's sorted!

Has anyone else applied this fix successfully?

Gavin

Gabriel_A...@adobeforums.com

Jul 4, 2006, 4:28:21 PM7/4/06
Apparently, installing Photoshop CS2 resolves the problem

philip_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 4, 2006, 6:51:19 PM7/4/06
Hi all

I've got the same problem as Kelstr (posted jun 21).

I'm using the tryout version of CS2 to open eps files created using Illustrator 10, on the same XP m/c. The files open fine and can be edited, but some won't save (as eps) or print, with the message "cant save, cant print". However this doesn't seem to put my m/c off opening and saving others. So far 2 files out of 15 are affected - I did play with one of them removing one layer (of 5) and it then saved ok. Then removed only part (either of two town plans) from the same layer, and again it saved. Curiously all the text in this layer had been converted to paths before saving in Ill 10, so I wouldn't think that it's a font issue. The two files that fail are not the largest in the set, nor are the contents of the layer I removed as big as the same layer in files that work.

Is anyone at Adobe interested in looking at these files?

Collee...@adobeforums.com

Jul 6, 2006, 1:02:52 PM7/6/06
We have 3 design workstations (Windows XP) with Illustrator CS… one user could not save as .ai on his system but was able to save successfully on another system. So we copied the Adobe Illustrator CS Settings folder (C/Documents & Settings/User/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS Settings) from the machine that worked onto his machine and all is right in his world!

Kingsle...@adobeforums.com

Jul 21, 2006, 1:32:48 AM7/21/06
Try this, it seems the cmap files in adobe reader works too

To fix Adobe Illustrator CS 2 Missing PDF Problem:

1. Install Asian Font Pack for Adobe
2. Find Location of CMAP folder with files (Adobe Reader)
3. Copy those files into C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Adobe\Font\Reqrd\
4. rename CMAP into CMAPS

of course transparency problem and settings problem were checked before this action was performed.

jan1...@adobeforums.com

Jul 27, 2006, 10:11:12 PM7/27/06
Hi, guys

am having the same problem. I am using xp cs2, never installed a illustrator other version on my computer, I was editing a illustrator cs file today. every thing was fine, and i can even save in pdf and ai fomular for the first 3 hours. and then i did some change on picture size and other effect, i cannt save anymore! not pdf, not ai! can anyone help me? this is very urgent. thank you!

Anita...@adobeforums.com

Aug 4, 2006, 10:20:19 AM8/4/06
I just installed illustrator CS2. I am trying to open an Illustrator 10 file and cannot see some of the images. The images are not linked to a file they are copied and pasted. Has anyone else had this problem?

Harron_K....@adobeforums.com

Aug 4, 2006, 10:48:23 AM8/4/06
Anita,

You should really start a new topic as your question has nothing to do with the subject of this discussion.

Copying and pasting is not the recommended method for getting images into an AI document. You should always use Place, which will give you the option to link or embed.

Do you still have AI 10 installed on your machine? Are you saying the images are visible when the document is opened in AI 10?

=-= Harron =-=

Ricky_L...@adobeforums.com

Aug 19, 2006, 4:39:13 AM8/19/06
I am also having this issue. It's a 300dpi business card template with multiple layers, text and a placed PSD file. I can save when I uncheck the PDF option. I bought Illustrator CS2 as a part of the Creative Suite and it was not cheap as you all know. It seems many people have this issue and it should be resolved. I will be happy to provide any files or additional information to help solve this problem.

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

Aug 19, 2006, 11:59:20 AM8/19/06
Rickey:

Have you tried the various suggested fixes in this long thread. If not, follow ShaneAdobeTS (Tech Support) posts as some people were able to solve their problem. steve

Ricky_L...@adobeforums.com

Aug 19, 2006, 3:11:01 PM8/19/06
Yes I have, including here: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332690.html>

What works is not saving with PDF compatibility. Unfortunatly I use the PDF compatibility feature whenever possible and I very much prefer it.

I did a search for ShaneAdobeTS and I am happy to know the issue is known. If ShaneAdobeTS is reading this, is there anything you would like me to do to help? I did try all the steps on tech doc 332690.

ShaneA...@adobeforums.com

Aug 20, 2006, 1:48:42 PM8/20/06

We have found that this usually happens if you have Illustrator CS installed, then install CS2, then remove CS. That uninstaller removes a large number of the CMAP files that are required. Usually, running a repair on the CS2 installation puts the files back, but you might have to remove and reinstall CS2 to get it up and working.

Thanks

Shane
Adobe TS

Ricky_L...@adobeforums.com

Aug 20, 2006, 11:21:36 PM8/20/06
Well in my case I did not have CS installed previously. Also, I tried to export a project to PDF and I received the same error, so I had to export to PSD, then use PhotoShop to save as a PDF.

So perhaps this is an issue with Acrobat and not Illustrator?

Collee...@adobeforums.com

Aug 21, 2006, 9:25:30 AM8/21/06
Ricky... are you using Windows XP Professional? Try logging in as a new user and see if the issue persists. In our case only one designer was having and issue so I had another designer log on to his system and they had no trouble...hmmm since it was a user issue we needed to replace the CS settings folder for the unsuccessful user...that did the trick.

1. Select Show hidden files and folders (My Computer/Tools/Folder Option View )
2. Move the Adobe folder from C/Documents & Settings/User/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS Settings to desktop or other location (we never delete until test is sucessful)
3. Replace the folder with a folder from a successful user profile

Ricky_L...@adobeforums.com

Aug 27, 2006, 1:09:39 PM8/27/06
Sorry for the delay. I am running Windows XP and I tried what you suggested and that did not work. I tried twice: a profile with user access and a profile with admin access.

Virgili...@adobeforums.com

Sep 23, 2006, 3:37:49 AM9/23/06
OK, guys, I think this is going to be very helpful for some people. I've been struggling for days and nights trying to solve the problem of not being able to save my AIs as PDFs.

At the beginning, when I had just bought and installed the Adobe Creative Suite 2, everything was running smoothly. I was able to convert any type of files (Excel, Word, Powerpoint...) to PDF. But suddenly, the Adobe automatic updater advised me of some new Acrobat Professional changes. I accepted them and something I haven't heard about before, appeared on my applications software tool bars: FLASH PAPER2. From then on, I wasn't able to convert my documents using just one button. Every time I tried it my application program hanged up. Now I had to work around by printing it to the PDF Adobe Printer. Well, that at least solved that problem.

Later, working with AI (CS2) I noticed that I couldn't save some AI documents as PDF any more. Then I started looking and looking for a solution, until I finally found this thread. The answer wasn't here at all. I tried several suggestions, but none worked for me. So I decided to re install Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat and the problem disappeared.

I'm almost sure that one of the automatic updates that I allowed to be applied to my CS2 suite caused the error.

Sorry for such a long story.

Virgilio

luke williams

Oct 2, 2006, 11:13:13 AM10/2/06
Hello,

I'm having the same problem also.... It started last week and now when I work on an old AI file, I am unable to save it as an Illustrator file, only as a PDF file. This is very frustrating! Will Adobe fix this BUG?

Thanks,

Luke

giorg...@adobeforums.com

Oct 26, 2006, 12:07:46 AM10/26/06
I have a serious problem.
- just create new file in Illustrator CS2
- put only one text in with Type tool ( Myriad font )
- "Save as" in AI or PDF file --> ERROR UNKNOW
- reload Illustrator
- create new file, put text in with Times New Roman font
- "Save as" --> file is saved but the error come later when i go to close Illustrator.

I make all test that I read in this post.
I have a creative suite cs2 that i bouhgt last week. What i can do?

LenH...@adobeforums.com

Oct 26, 2006, 3:39:24 AM10/26/06
Have you tried deleting your aiprefs file as per the forum FAQs FAQ#2?

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Oct 26, 2006, 4:11:29 AM10/26/06
Or read either of posts #7, #16, #20, or #71, or post #53 or post #69?

JMG...@adobeforums.com

Nov 3, 2006, 1:48:02 PM11/3/06
BTW, this worked for me.

Try moving the entire Illustrator CS2 settings folder to the desktop and then launch Illustrator again and see if you still get the error.

In the c:\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe folder move the Illustrator CS2 Settings folder to the desktop.

Thanks Shane, and everyone else involved.

shad...@adobeforums.com

Nov 20, 2006, 9:47:47 PM11/20/06
So is there a fix for this issue? I have tried all the things listed in the postings and still no solution. Tried the renaming the Trans file, tried moving the Pref. folder to the desktop. Everything works ok when saving as an EPS, but the file sized going from a .95 MB AI file to a 6.90 MB in EPS isn't worth it. There really hasn't been a patch to fix it since the topic was started a year ago?

I am running CS2, on Windows XP, all is fully up to date. How can I save files with text inside? What else can be done to fix this?

luke williams

Nov 21, 2006, 8:15:27 AM11/21/06
I have moved my Illustrator preferences folder to the desktop as suggested and this did work for me.

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2006, 8:44:45 AM11/21/06
Shadrach,

You did try reinstalling CS as mentioned in post #53, no?

shad...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2006, 12:56:09 PM11/21/06
Installing CS is the one I did not try, since I do not have CS. Think there'd be a patch to do whatever it is that installing CS does.

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Nov 21, 2006, 1:52:47 PM11/21/06
Shadrach,

The CS issue is caused by vital files being deleted when uninstalling CS after having installed CS2 on top of it, so it does not apply to your case.

Zern...@adobeforums.com

Jan 2, 2007, 10:24:22 AM1/2/07
This problem has just appeared on my system as well. And I am several thousand kilometres away from my install discs...

I am running CS2 on a new XP Pro laptop. Everything was fine prior to xmas.

Now Illustrator CS2 wont save any AI files containing text (even with just the default Myriad font) with "Create PDF Compatible File" checked, or any PDF files.

Note these are newly created files without any placed images. Just some lines (which saves OK), and text. As soon as I add the text, the save fails.

Various error messages - 108, PDF file having difficulties, unknown error. Sometimes followed by Not enough memory to preview, or missing palette/toolbar icons. I have to then use task manager to kill the process and restart Illustrator.

This is an utterly unacceptable bug. Sure I can work around it by turning off "Create PDF Compatible File". Just like I used to use Save As to get around Illustrator 9's "Trouble saving PDF file" bug. The inability to save out press-ready hires PDFs is a show stopper.

I have tried deleting the pref folder, creating a new Windows profile, running scan disk all to no avail. All the CS2 apps are up to date, as is Windows. The laptop has only Adobe and MS Office apps on it. No weird shareware or other apps.

This is a new install done in one go. Updates are then run. All standard install settings, nothing has been deleted or changed with the installation.

Given my experience with AI9, I can believe that Adobe has known about this bug and is for some reason ignoring it or unable to resolve it. Hey, at least my Adobe help system is working unlike some people I know.

Help please?

Chin-L...@adobeforums.com

Jan 2, 2007, 1:24:25 PM1/2/07
Hello,

I have installed adobe illustrator CS2 and it worked properly for few
months. But now there is a problem; I can not create a new template. It
always comes with an error message:
"Adobe PDF file format i s having difficulties. Could not create internal
representation of XMP metadata."

I have tried to remove all adobe programs and reinstalled CS2 for several times but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you very much.

shad...@adobeforums.com

Jan 2, 2007, 1:36:00 PM1/2/07
I tried all the "fixes" listed in the topic and they did not work for me. The only way I got it to work was to make the text into outlines before I save the file, which mean no editing later. This is a bug that Adobe should have fixed long ago. They going to be this lazy on the next version of Illustrator too?

Zern...@adobeforums.com

Jan 4, 2007, 8:16:33 AM1/4/07
Not being able to save and AI file with PDF compatibility also means I can no longer use the Edit Vector Smart Objects function in Photoshop CS2 (where a smart object contains text).

Mark...@adobeforums.com

Jan 16, 2007, 8:06:51 PM1/16/07
Here is my problem with Illustrator CS2:

When opening files created in Illustrator 10 I am given options: a/ Choose Update to update all of the text legacy now. b/ Choose OK to update the text later. c/ Choose Cancel to cancel opening the file. Tried option a/ & b/ several times, the file opened as "xyz [Converted].ai". I was able to make changes as needed and I was able to save the document as either ai or pdf.

The problem is when I wish to open the document again. I get this error: "The file xyz [Converted].ai is of an unknown format and cannot be opened". BTW it shows the file size is 0 KB.

Any solution?

Zern...@adobeforums.com

Jan 17, 2007, 11:17:13 PM1/17/07
The problem seem to have gone away!

Here's what I did:

1. installed the CS2.3 upgrade (which I gather is essentially an upgrade to Acrobat 8 plus shared files). Illustrator still won't save at this point.

2. I then used the Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs" function to trigger the Adobe CS2 Intall/Reinstall/Remove tool. Marked Illustrator for reinstallation, and it all worked.

I did not restart the machine at all throughout this, and the reinstall process did not overwrite my settings, or the updater patch.

I hope this helps someone.

cv...@adobeforums.com

Mar 30, 2007, 4:46:30 AM3/30/07
Basically, I think if you have Acrobat Reader installed (perhaps any version, though I had , you just copy the contents of the folder "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Resource\CMap" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps" (You will likely need to create the CMaps folder) and wahlah (voila) you can save in PDF!

Post Reply

thank you every body and Glen Barratt - can save it in font .. but i don't know it will have any ploblem comming soon

ddave...@adobeforums.com

Apr 12, 2007, 11:25:00 AM4/12/07
hi please can anyone help!

this moring i open illustrator, all the setting were defaulted as if i had just installed the program, now as many above find i can no longer save any files. 'An error occured' appears with no explanation. I dont have actrobat 8 installed. Does anybody know any solutions, as my disks are up north and i will not be able to retrieve them in time to reinstall and finish my work for a deadline. Also form what i have read above, reinstalling doesnt seem to make a difference. Im rather computer alliterate so may need a standard and uncomplicated explination, thanks.

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Apr 12, 2007, 12:28:46 PM4/12/07
Dave,

Have you tried moving the hidden Illustrator CS/CS2 Settings folder to the Desktop with Illy closed?

This will remove a number of files, including the aiprefs file and the Workspaces subfolder; the whole folder is restored with the original default settings next time you start Illy.

That is one of the first things to try when a strange issue suddenly occurs, and removing the Workspaces subfolder has solved the issue for one of the first posters in this thread.

ddave...@adobeforums.com

Apr 12, 2007, 2:16:40 PM4/12/07
wow thanks for replying so quickly Jacob, as i am rather useless with computer i was hoping you might be able to tell me where i would find that folder?

thanks for your advice

dave

LenH...@adobeforums.com

Apr 13, 2007, 3:15:36 AM4/13/07

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Apr 13, 2007, 3:27:49 AM4/13/07
Or as described in post #4 here: Jacob Bugge, "Unknown error when saving" #1, 12 Apr 2007 3:53 am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bc3a39f/0>

Hi Len.

ddave...@adobeforums.com

Apr 13, 2007, 9:10:38 AM4/13/07
thanks so much Jacob and Len i moved the illustrator settings folder to the desktop and now everything seems to working again, fingers crossed. I wonder why it stopped working, the only thing i can think of that i did differently to usual, which may have caused a problem was open the transparency window. I didnt use it though other than a quick browse at its function. I noticed that during this thread someone mention deleteting/defaulting (or some thing) a transprancy folder/file, so maybe this is were a fault lies. Im probably completely wrong, though, it was just a hunch. So thanks once again, now i think i might just finish my work in time for my meeting.

david

Jacob...@adobeforums.com

Apr 13, 2007, 5:17:30 PM4/13/07
Dave, you are welcome.

I believe the (most common) cause of corruption of files in the Settings folder is errors in Windows saving them. Some people experience it regularly, some never, regardless of Illy version. I am still with 10, and I have never tried it.

So there is no reason not to open, and use, Transparency.

sarah...@adobeforums.com

Apr 15, 2007, 3:56:28 PM4/15/07

I am one of many it seems that has the same problem referring to pdf trouble. Last week I tried to save a pdf file and Illustator shut right down. As I needed to send off the pdf's I had over Hotmail, once I clicked ok and attach another my computer screen went grey and told me I had to shut down. Any thoughts? I'm running Mac 10.4.8.

janer...@hotmail.com

Apr 15, 2007, 4:38:08 PM4/15/07
Sarah:

This is the Windows forum for Illy...you might want to post your Mac-related issue to the Mac forum for better responses.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ee6b324/>

problem...@adobeforums.com

Apr 22, 2007, 8:00:56 AM4/22/07
the following action solved all my problems:

Note: I' running XP professional on intel based mac
I have Illustrator CS2 and Adobe Acrobat version 8.0

1. you should have adobe acrobat reader 8.0
2. make hidden files visible

copy file called: AdobeCMapFnt08.Ist
from
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\8.0

to folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd

just copy and paste and you can save it as pdf files and no more errors

I had all the problems mentioned above and I also installed my illustrator CS2
on my another computer which did not allow me to save
pdf files but after
copying the file to Reqrd folder it solved all the problems.
I hope it will solves your problems as well guys!
Good luck!

Cheers

ljch...@hotmail.com

May 2, 2007, 11:05:07 PM5/2/07
problem solver, I tried that and it didn't work. I use Illustrator CS3.

mm...@adobeforums.com

May 17, 2007, 4:19:47 PM5/17/07
Thanks Polipo!
Simple solutuion that worked!!! Replace the AI CMAPS folder with Reader 8's CMAPS folder :) Perfect! Adobe should just put that up on their website instead of the other unhelpful info they have... it just didnt work. Not everyone upgraded from CS...

Bobby_H...@adobeforums.com

May 20, 2007, 5:01:04 PM5/20/07
All of a sudden, my copy of IllustratorCS2 is exhibiting the dreaded problem with type.

No matter what I do, I cannot save or export any files in Illustrator that have any editable text.

I've tried the suggestions in this thread (and others) and am still having the problem. Running AI 12.0.1 under WinXP Pro SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 6000d notebook with 2GB of RAM.

Werner...@adobeforums.com

Jun 6, 2007, 11:03:09 AM6/6/07
People:

I had the same problem with Illustrator but I could solve finally. After read many sites, blogs and forums and don't find a solution I tried something not recommended but it works and fix the problem

Just do it this:

go to
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\~username\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [Version]

and erase all files there but no the folders.

An thats it! this solve the trouble for me.

Hope this help yo.

Bert Philippus

Jun 6, 2007, 11:30:59 AM6/6/07
Werner:

Around these parts, that's called a Jacob.

Bert

Stephen...@adobeforums.com

Jul 9, 2007, 1:44:21 PM7/9/07
I am having the same problem. CS3 will only allow 1 save then it will not save again. It will not saveas either. I have installed the only download there is for CS3 to no avail....I also moved the files under c:\docs and settings\app data\adobe\adobe ill cs3 settings to a directory called old and restarted AI. no love there either.

any help would be great.

Nicole...@adobeforums.com

Jul 12, 2007, 7:47:10 AM7/12/07
Hi guys, unfortunately I too am suffering from this issue with saving ai and pdf files.

I have just upgraded my PC so no memory or system in-efficiencies there. I have been using CS2 for a long time on my old PC with Windows XP and I've had no real issues. Now however I have upgraded to the new PC which is running Vista, it was fine at first the all of sudden the problem has arisen.

I have systematically tried each of the solutions listed in this forum with no luck. Has anyone else found a solution for CS2 running on Vista.

Please help, I have a mountain of work and if I cant get this fixed I won't meet my deadlines!

Thanks in advance :)

Diana...@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2007, 1:49:46 PM7/14/07
I think I just solved the problem in a really easy way. Right click on the Illustrator icon, then select properties. Under compatibility, select run this program in compatibility mode for XP. I saved a file as a pdf and it finally worked! I couldn't figure out all of that stuff with folders, but I have no problems after I did this.
-Diana

Harron_K....@adobeforums.com

Jul 14, 2007, 6:14:19 PM7/14/07