Re: Can't Save/Rename/Delete Illustrator Files - Solution!

Debora...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2005, 5:52:02 PM4/27/05
I renamed the aiicon file however I still cannot move a file. I am still getting the message "Error moving file or folder. Is being used by another person or program". I sometime also get an error message when making changes that PDF file cannot be saved.

I have Illustrator 9 so I am really up a creek since I cannot get any help!!

Please help!!

Deborah

Sharon_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 27, 2005, 6:07:33 PM4/27/05
If you have a firewall, have you tried removing it? That was what finally resolved my issues.

Sharon

Debora...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2005, 10:46:10 AM4/28/05
Thanks Sharon,
But then how are you protected? Do you just remove as you are working in Illustrator??

Sharon_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2005, 12:01:50 PM4/28/05
No -- our systems people removed it from my computer, as well as some others in the company who have had other problems related to updates to the firewall. McAfee is working on a fix and it will be reinstalled once that fix is completed.
Sharon

Kinde...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2005, 12:51:14 PM4/28/05
I am having similar problems. Actually my fellow graphic designers here are also experiencing the problem of deleting .eps files. Even those in the recycling bin will not go away!
I tried deleting/renaming the suggested .dll file- but nothing happened. Reloading Illustrator did not help either.
I am assuming this is one of those great flaws Adobe should look into to find out why .eps files are so damn hard to 'kill.'
Sometimes I am able to rename them- like "donotuse" or "killme" so people know not to use them, but still it is annoying that you can't trash a .eps file that you no longer need.

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

Apr 28, 2005, 6:49:15 PM4/28/05
In most instances this is a problem with Windows Explorer. If you want to check if your problem is the same as others have reported here, follow the instructions in the Temporary Solution section of the original post in this thread. I use Process Explorer every month or so to clean up problem handles and am satisfied with this workaround until I get CS2. steve

Philip_...@adobeforums.com

May 2, 2005, 1:59:13 PM5/2/05
Sadly this doesn't seem to be working for me. I have .eps files out of photoshop that I would like to do this to. Any other suggustions?

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

May 2, 2005, 5:48:26 PM5/2/05
Philip:

If you cannot delete .eps files from the Recycle Bin and Process Explorer does not show a handle for Explorer to the .eps files you can't delete from the Recycle bin, then go to C:\RECYCLER where you will find a single folder with a long numerical name. Delete this and it will empty your recycle bin. If you are worried about causing some Windows problem, as I was when I first tried this, then rename with "old" appended to the name. The folder is recreated as soon as you delete something else. Sounds like the prefs file doesn't it? steve

Philip_...@adobeforums.com

May 3, 2005, 9:59:55 AM5/3/05
My file isn't in the recycle bin, it is on a networked drive.

My work flow is hit an action key in photoshop which saves a file as "_philip.eps"

I then hit an action key in illustrator that opens a template file, and places the "_philip.eps" file onto the template and moves it to the correct position.

Every once in a while my "_philip" file will become read only, and I have to manually save files as something else, and then do file/place in illustrator. Frustrating when I can't have my actions do the scut work. But not quite frustrating enough to create new actions when it happens, as usually if I let the computer sleep overnight the problem will fix itself the next morning.

Philip_...@adobeforums.com

May 17, 2005, 4:03:38 PM5/17/05
Does CS II fix any of this sort of thing?

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

May 17, 2005, 6:09:45 PM5/17/05
Philip:

Yes, the aiicon.dll file is not installed and the one still on the drive from CS is disabled. You therefor do not have thumbnail view of Illustrator files in Explorer or the load file dialogue (except for the single one that appears after you select a file). This is a nuisance. To compensate a new program, Adobe Bridge, is supplied with the CS Suite (I don't know if it is supplied with Il CS2 alone). In addition to some organizational features and links to image sites, the Bridge provides very nice thumbnails that can be enlarged with a slider. I didn't like it at first, but am getting very fond of it and start it whenever I start Illustrator. steve

Philip_...@adobeforums.com

May 18, 2005, 12:24:07 PM5/18/05
Thanks, SF. We have photoshop and illustrator coming (whenever our purchasing dept. gets the number of licenses we need sorted out).

I still get the problem even after having renamed aiicon.dll though.

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

May 18, 2005, 3:33:37 PM5/18/05
Philip:

If you have shut off aiicon and your thumbnails are therefore not displaying, and you still have saving problems, then something else is wrong. You might try the Process Explorer solution to see if some other program is leaving handles on your files.

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

Oct 17, 2005, 9:42:01 PM10/17/05
Move up so it won't die.

LenH...@adobeforums.com

Oct 18, 2005, 4:40:43 AM10/18/05
This topic won't expire, Stephen. It is set to be a permanent Topic

Stephe...@adobeforums.com

Oct 18, 2005, 7:25:54 AM10/18/05
Thanks Len.

Jeff_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 25, 2005, 1:05:43 AM10/25/05
After completing the CD writing wizard, I get a message that says, "You have successfully written your files to the CD." I click "finish" and an error box pops up that says, "Error Deleting File -- Cannot delete (file name): it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." I have 10 illustrator files stuck on my cd burner that I can't burn onto a cd or delete. I've made sure that there is not a firewall on my DSL (as suggested earlier on this forum). Not only do I need to clear those files from my burner, I have 160 illustrator files that are only on my hard drive that I must save to CD. This seems to be an ongoing problem encountered by several people using Illustrator. If there isn't a solution, does anyone know if a patch has been created? I'm on a PC at home (not networked) with WindowsXP. I'm about to throw my computer out the window. Can anyone help???

LenH...@adobeforums.com

Oct 25, 2005, 3:18:26 AM10/25/05
You don't mention what version of Illustrator, Jeff...

Brad...@adobeforums.com

Oct 25, 2005, 8:59:14 AM10/25/05
Simply do not open an Illustrator file while looking at it in thumbnail view in explorer. Close the folder and open via Illustrator's open dialogue or change to list view in your folder before you open it and you won't encounter the dreaded "file in use" errors.

Jeff_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 25, 2005, 9:39:08 AM10/25/05
Sorry--We're using Illustrator CS! Not sure I follow you Brad. The biggest issue is that the files will not save to CD. Clearing the burner is obviously a related and annoying problem, too.

LenH...@adobeforums.com

Oct 25, 2005, 10:23:16 AM10/25/05
Jeff,

Search for aiicon.dll and rename to aiicon.dll.old (You should find it
in c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell). The downside is you will
lose thumbnails for Illustrator files in Windows Explorer. This file has
been removed from the current version of Illustrator (as has the
equivalent file in Photoshop) because these extensions to Windows
Explorer exposed a bug in Explorer that could prevent the deletion,
moving and saving of files and could even result in data loss.

kala...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 12:18:57 PM1/19/18
Dear,LenH

Thank you very much for your cooperation