Error message prompt 'The application ran out of memory..'

queen...@adobeforums.com

Sep 29, 2008, 2:05:34 AM9/29/08
Hi all
I am using a HP laptop operating on windows, the specs are;
Core 2 Duo CPU
2.4GHZ, 1.99GB of RAM
I am beginning to face problems when placing a large image onto my artboard. The image I am placing is about 9.6MB. My artwork is about 108MB. The error message reads as,
The application ran out of memory. Please close some windows to free memory.
And when I click 'cancel', the report error message comes up and Illustrator closes.
I just got my laptop and use Photoshop and Illustrator regularly to do designing of collaterals, brochures etc. Since then, I feel the saving time for every artwork gets slower by the day and suddenly at times, it turns blank. And I gets frustrated if I have to REDO the changes.
Does all this have to do with my RAM or is there any way I can rectify this problem. Please advise. Thanks!

Christop...@adobeforums.com

Sep 29, 2008, 8:50:43 AM9/29/08
you can maybe solve your problem there

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b671c7/10>

queen...@adobeforums.com

Sep 29, 2008, 10:55:56 PM9/29/08
Hi Christoph, thanks for the link. I tried, did not work for me.

One thing for sure I believe it is my ram which is not set at a good benchmark. Since today, I have tried to place an image of 5.6MB onto the artwork. Upon shifting the image left to right, the error message prompted again;The application ran out of memory. Please close some windows to free memory.
And I had to boot my entire application, with unsaved design work..
Does anyone second it if I upgrade my ram, this problem will be solved?

queen...@adobeforums.com

Sep 30, 2008, 5:34:41 AM9/30/08
What about trying to allocate more RAM to Illustrator? How do I go about doing that on Windows?

Grafi...@adobeforums.com

Oct 2, 2008, 3:04:57 AM10/2/08
Hi, I have the same issue. Running Windows XP Pro x64 SP2, Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 10GB page file (virtual memory), Illustrator CS3 (3.0.2). When I try to place a .psd file (.tif format seems to work fine) from Bridge by dragging and dropping or from within the Illustrator interface I receive a memory error message. My file size is only 738KB.

I tried the work around by disabling Version Cue, that only changed the error message from "VersionCueUI.dll - The application ran out of virtual memory. Please close some windows to free memory." to "Adobe Illustrator - Not enough memory to place the file."

I checked the task manager to see if there was a spike in memory usage when trying to place the file - but there was absolutely no change in RAM or page file usage.

I had this problem before on a Win XP Pro 32bit machine as well. Found this post <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc3d859>

Opened a support ticket with Adobe - waiting for a solution. Lets see what happens.

Grafi...@adobeforums.com

Oct 2, 2008, 3:40:01 AM10/2/08
We have another machine here running Win XP Pro x64 but with an AMD Athlon X64 CPU & 2GB RAM. So I though I might try place a file in Illustrator on this machine for the sake of science - and what do you know? it worked fine!

...and perfect on a laptop running XP 32bit with AMD Turion 64 1.59GHz and 2GB RAM.

Is this an Intel problem? Anyone with AMD out there with the same issue?

icatchi...@aol.com

Oct 14, 2008, 4:04:14 PM10/14/08

having the same problem, noticing that everyone all have the window's
XP, Has everyone updated to Service PAC 3?

Gal...@adobeforums.com

Oct 16, 2008, 12:46:49 AM10/16/08
64-bit OS and more than 2GB RAM is the problem. Nothing to do with Intel/AMD processor. Illustrator CS3 is certified ONLY for 32-bit editions of Windows. What that means is that even though testing happens on 64-bit editions of Windows, it is not very exhaustive. Generally speaking, there should not be much difference in user experience on either type of OS (32-bit vs. 64-bit) but some issues may remain, like this one for instance.

VAc...@adobeforums.com

Oct 18, 2008, 6:24:38 PM10/18/08
This is what worked for me on a Windows XP 32 SP3 system
I was getting the versioncueui.dll out of virtual memory error in Illustrator when I was trying to pace a 100 MB psd file into a layer.

Close all Abobe Programs

Browse to c:\documents and settings\username\application data

Rename the Adbobe folder to something else.
You will lose you custom personal settigns in you Adobe Programs, but the programs will still Work

Grant_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 20, 2008, 6:49:44 AM10/20/08
There are posts about this 'bug' since May 2007, that's over a year ago and still no fix? On other forums I've seen people recomending hacked versions of Illustrator CS3 because they have less issues than the original Adobe product.

Come on Adobe surely you can do better than leaving a bug like this unfixed for so long - it's not like it's rocket science to recreate the error - all you need is Illustrator CS3, 4GB of RAM and a Windows XP OS (which is supported By Adobe in 32bit).

So what is the problem? Maybe someone from Adobe can answer this... but then again we won't hold our breath.

Br...@adobeforums.com

Nov 3, 2008, 10:30:13 PM11/3/08
any news on this illustrator issue of running out of virtual memory when opening a file? this bug is killing me...

mvan...@hotmail.com

Nov 12, 2008, 4:52:40 AM11/12/08
Same here. Any solution?

Is it a Windows-only bug?
If so, can it be helped by another pc (more cpu/ram ?).

I really need to get rid of this problem.

Mark

Pawel...@adobeforums.com

Jan 21, 2009, 7:33:47 PM1/21/09
Well... In Edit menu --> Preferences --> Files handling, I have unchecked 'Version Cue' box. It worked for me.