invalid file access error when creating pdf

Se...@adobeforums.com

Jan 8, 2004, 5:41:08 PM1/8/04
What version of Distiller and what printer are you using? Are all the files local? Are any read-only? Is there anything special about the page in question (is there an OLE image or something)?

Maurian...@adobeforums.com

Jan 8, 2004, 5:37:31 PM1/8/04
Hi there.
I am trying to create a pdf of a Frame book. The tps file creates just fine, but when Adobe is distilling it, it stops on one of the pages and gives the following error:
%%[ Error: invalidfileaccess; OffendingCommand: image ]%%
What does this mean and how can I fix it?
I am using FrameMaker 7.0.
Thanks,
Maurianne

Maurian...@adobeforums.com

Jan 8, 2004, 6:08:38 PM1/8/04
The distiller is 5.0.5 (the version that came with FrameMaker 7.0). Yes, all of the files are local and none are read-only. One of the times I tried to create the pdf, it didn't even create a tps file and gave the error that it couldn't open the file in question. However, I have since tried to open it and I don't have a problem opening or editing it.
The page in question does not have any images or graphics of any kind.
Thanks again for your help.
Maurianne

Arnis_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 8, 2004, 9:13:46 PM1/8/04
Maurianne,

Check to make sure that you are looking at the proper page in the book
file, i.e. physical page count, not FM page number. Distiller reports
the page count.

Maurian...@adobeforums.com

Jan 9, 2004, 10:45:17 AM1/9/04
I figured out that it was probably this one file that had the problem when I got the message that Frame couldn't open the file in question. After that, I copied and pasted just that document into a new FrameMaker document and tried to create a pdf without the rest of the book. That is when I got the error on the page in question because the distiller page would have been the same page as the document page. After that, I went to the page and reapplied all of the styles (it was originally an imported document from Word) to make sure there were no strange fonts or formats, but the pdf still didn't create.
Thanks again for the help,
Maurianne

Se...@adobeforums.com

Jan 9, 2004, 10:49:10 AM1/9/04
Try using File > Import to import the contents of the Word document into FrameMaker.

Does that help?

Maurian...@adobeforums.com

Jan 9, 2004, 11:36:29 AM1/9/04
Hey, it worked! I tried all of the suggestions and tried to create the pdf of the whole book again and it worked! Thanks again for your suggestions and help!
Maurianne

Ian_B...@home_in_paris.fr

Jan 13, 2004, 12:58:45 PM1/13/04
This is an of-the-wall guess. Maybe one of your marked conditions includes a paragraph marker more than it should. When that condition is applied the paragraph marker is excluded but related bits and pieces somehow are not excluded giving an FM operation that scans files some difficulty understanding what's going on. Theoretically this should not happen, but something's causing the invalid file access error.

You should be able to tie down the invalid file access to a particular condition in a particular file, then start checking all the conditions and where they're applied.
Good luck
Ian

Maurian...@adobeforums.com

Jan 13, 2004, 12:46:35 PM1/13/04
Okay, it happened again. I created a pdf successfully one time, but I tried to do it again, and I got the exact same error message. I am not sure why it would work one time, but not the next. The only change I made to the document was I hid the conditional text indicators. I have done that before without a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Maurian...@adobeforums.com

Jan 13, 2004, 5:36:44 PM1/13/04
Thanks for the suggestion. That is something I hadn't thought of. However, I tried it and it didn't work. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Maurianne

Peter...@adobeforums.com

Jan 13, 2004, 6:43:36 PM1/13/04
The capriciousness of the message's appearance might indicate something that truly affects the file's availability, such as other activities that consume file handles, disk swap space, file fragmentation, insufficient available RAM, etc.

I've not seen it mentioned that you have all the files open before beginning the operation (Shift+File > Open All FIles in Book), and all files saved, no messages in the console window (missing fonts, can't find reference, etc.). If other applications are using some referenced files, perhaps a graphic application has a graphic file open, or a periodic backup operation is reading the file, the conversion operation might fail with this message.

Try turning off all applications you don't need, and use the Task Manager to shut down any unneeded processes or background operations. Be careful not to shut down required processes.

If you can consistently convert the book in such a minimal state, then you've isolated the problem enough to look for the one or several culprits.

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices