Photoshop CS4 missing files after uninstall of CS3

Jerry_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 20, 2008, 4:34:12 PM10/20/08
I upgraded the Adobe Creative Suite CS3.3 Design Premium today to CS4 on my MacPro. The upgrade went smoothly. After using the Adobe uninstaller for CS3 and starting Photoshop CS4, an error message appeared stating that required support files were missing, re-install Photoshop CS4. After a second Photoshop CS4 installation all is well.

Apparently the CS3 Design Premium uninstaller is removing a file required for CS4 also.

This is not an isolated incident, as it happened again when installing CS4 on my MacBook Pro. I have also read of similar incidents in other forums. It seems to affect only Photoshop CS4.

Jerry

Buko

Oct 20, 2008, 4:38:59 PM10/20/08
CS4 works just fine with CS3 installed. Why remove it?

Its always a good idea to keep the older software around for a while until you get adjusted to the new software.

Jerry_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 20, 2008, 6:00:28 PM10/20/08
The software is not that different. There is no need to keep the old version Buko, it just takes up space on the hard drive. I'm not trying to debate whether or not to keep the old version, I have already made that decision.

My point for posting is that there appears to be a bug in the uninstaller and wanted to warn others of my experience.

rgb...@adobeforums.com

Oct 24, 2008, 11:35:08 PM10/24/08
Jerry, yeah I had similar experience with you regarding the missing support files after uninstalling CS3 (I've got master collection, why keep 20 gigs!). Thanks for the headsup.

Buko

Nov 19, 2008, 4:20:02 AM11/19/08
You must use the uninstaller

concr...@adobeforums.com

Nov 19, 2008, 12:29:18 AM11/19/08
hi what was the outcome of this, 'to use the CS3 un-installer' or not to use? thanks

concr...@adobeforums.com

Nov 19, 2008, 6:12:25 AM11/19/08
thanks again.

boec...@adobeforums.com

Nov 25, 2008, 10:54:52 AM11/25/08
I did the same thing. When I started the installer, it only allows me to uninstall. Do I need to uninstall first to reinstall? If so, do I have to do the whole suite?

concr...@adobeforums.com

Mar 25, 2009, 9:21:02 PM3/25/09
As I no longer require CS3 on my Mac after upgrading to CS4 and waiting for the required plugins to be available I have successfully uninstalled CS3 using the Adobe CS3 Creative Suite uninstaller.

NOTE: please make a copy of the 'Adobe Unit Types.osax' found Macintosh HD/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax

At home did this without making a backup of the 'Adobe Unit Types.osax', so when I launched Photoshop CS4 it suffered from the "Error: "One or more files in the Adobe Application Support folder.."

At work I did this with making a copy of 'Adobe Unit Types.osax', place it back after the uninstall of CS3... and presto so far so good.

for the 'Error: "One or more files in the Adobe Application Support folder... are missing' when you start Photoshop CS4 (Mac OS)" read here:
<http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb407726>

sorry if this has already been posted, I could not see this anywhere.

Christy...@adobeforums.com

Apr 2, 2009, 5:57:43 PM4/2/09
I wanted to share... I too ran into this "missing support file" when I upgraded to Photoshop CS 4... I didn't do an uninstall so I didn't understand why I would be missing the infamous "Adobe Unit Types.osax". So I reinstalled twice...still got the error. So after much searching, I found the file, but it was missing the EXTENSION .osax so when I added the extension... BAM, life was grand! (not sure how this happened)

Data Mentahan

Sep 22, 2023, 1:16:43 AM9/22/23
My name is Maggie Lawson, and I am very enthusiastic to join the Internet of Think study program at STIKOM University. I am very interested in the world of technology and how software can help solve real world problems.

Since young, I have had a passion for programming. I started learning my first programming language at the age of 18, and since then, I have never stopped learning and developing my skills. I've worked on several small projects and worked on several applications https://ateliersansfrontieres.org/, which helped me understand the software development process from start to finish.

I am very interested in learning concepts like web development, mobile app development and database management. I also believe that collaboration is the key to creating great software, and I am passionate about working in teams to tackle complex challenges.

While at university, I hope to deepen my understanding of various programming languages, software development methodologies, and also understand how to solve problems in software development effectively. In addition, I plan to engage in group projects and practicums to gain deeper practical experience.

Outside of academia, I enjoy exploring side projects, learning about the latest trends in the tech industry, and participating in developer communities. I also believe that continuous learning is the key to staying relevant in the rapidly changing world of technology.

I really enjoyed meeting my classmates, lecturers and professionals in the software industry. Let's explore this exciting world together and collaborate to create innovative solutions.