Re: Error 1304 updating to Acrobat Standard 7.1.0

Gary_N...@adobeforums.com

Aug 16, 2008, 6:40:06 PM8/16/08
People are referring to Udo Tempelmann. What does that mean? I, like you, have found that I actually am already on Adobe 7.1.0, but my Windows Vista machine keeps trying to reinstall it every time I log in and I can't figure out how to stop it. I'd like to just find what is attempting to install and stop it. Can you help?

michaelkazlow

Aug 16, 2008, 9:48:38 PM8/16/08
Acrobat 7.1 is not Vista compatible. When you upgrade computers or OSs
it is reasonable to expect to have to update applications. Your
application is two versions behind the times.

Mike

Larry_T....@adobeforums.com

Aug 16, 2008, 11:25:58 PM8/16/08
For Brian,
In the Security Tab under file properties click Advanced, then Owner. If System is the current owner you will need change the owner to yourself as an Administrator so that you can then modify permissions for Full Control

Gary_N...@adobeforums.com

Aug 17, 2008, 10:41:55 AM8/17/08
Thank you. This fixed the problem. I went into the Program files directory, found the Adobe one, and changed the owner for all files and subfolder files to administrator (was System before) and that allowed me to complete the installation successfully. Thanks again for your help.

TIM_SP...@adobeforums.com

Aug 18, 2008, 11:15:09 AM8/18/08
Larry, I also had the 1304 Adobe error holding me up when I found your answer here. It installed perfectly after I changed the ownership.
Thank You!!! for caring enough to help others!!!

Tim Sparacio
Simpsonville, SC

Holly...@adobeforums.com

Feb 19, 2009, 5:03:15 PM2/19/09
I am really hoping someone out there can help me. I have tried every option that has been presented to me on here and many other resources with regard to ProgramData as well as the command prompt directly and nothing is working.

Here is my specific error:
Error 1304: .... C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\GbDetect.dll

If someone out there can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Holly

Larry_T....@adobeforums.com

Feb 19, 2009, 11:08:16 PM2/19/09
Holly, what is the complete error message?

Sandi_V...@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 1:47:23 AM3/3/09
I am getting the 1304 message from the Adobe installer for Acrobat 7.1.0 Professional. It reads:
Error 1304 Error writing to file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll Verify that you have access to that directory.
That file is not in the directory indicated, nor is it on any of the installation discs that came with CS2.
Any ideas what the right fix is?
Rick & Sandi

Larry_T....@adobeforums.com

Mar 3, 2009, 9:46:49 AM3/3/09
I think you need to take possession of the dir C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\.

To do this open Windows Explorer to the dir and right click on it (ActiveX). In the dialog box select "Security", then select "Advanced" at the bottom right. In the new dialog box select "Owner" at the top. In the new dialog box you most likely see that the owner is "System". If so select a user from the box that has administrative privileges, click the box "Replace Owner on subcontainers and Objects" and then "Apply". Close the dialog box and you should be back to the properties box. Make sure that you are listed in the "Group or user name box" and have full control. If not "Add" yourself and give yourself "Full Control". "Apply" and close the box. Hopefully that will help.

Sandi_V...@adobeforums.com

Mar 4, 2009, 4:14:38 AM3/4/09
Thanks, I had to do this to even add the missing file which I copied from another computer with CS2 on it. Isn't Vista great?
Since the file was not visible on the CS2 installation discs, I presume it is installed from some cab file. It's still a mystery what happened - I even did a repair reinstall.
It is working now - thanks for your response.

Larry_T....@adobeforums.com

Mar 4, 2009, 11:06:15 AM3/4/09
It's not just Vista, XP does the same thing. I think Adobe is at fault since it appears to only occur with the 7.1.0 upgrade but can't prove it.

Holly

Mar 4, 2009, 12:34:03 PM3/4/09
On Feb 19, 10:08 pm, Larry_T._Mini...@adobeforums.com wrote:
> Holly, what is the complete error message?

Larry you are a genius!! I think it is finally installing!!!

Here was my full message:

Error 1304.Error writing to file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\ActiveX\GbDetect.dll

I went to the ActiveX folder and did just what you said to Sandi and
viola!! Looks like it's going to install now. Thank you so much!!!!!

Holly

Mar 4, 2009, 1:07:55 PM3/4/09
On Feb 19, 10:08 pm, Larry_T._Mini...@adobeforums.com wrote:
> Holly, what is the complete error message?

Oops!! I spoke too soon I guess. It installed but when I try to open
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 I get the following series of messages:

There was an error while loading the plug-in 'Accessibility.api'. The
plug-in failed to initialize.

then...

There was an error while loading the plug-in 'AcroForm.api'. The plug-
in failed to initialize.

then...

There was an error while loading the plug-in 'Annots.api'. The plug-in
failed to initialize.

then...

Abode Acrobat 7.0 has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

then...

Problem caused by Adobe Reader
This problem was caused by Adobe Reader, which was created by Adobe
Systems Inc.. There is no solution for this problem at this time.
Recommendation

A newer version of Adobe Reader is available for download that might
address this problem. Adobe Systems Inc. recommends updating to the
latest version of Adobe Reader to take advantage of security and
stability improvements.
Go online to the following website to update Adobe Reader:

....I did exactly that. Went to Adobe and downloaded the latest Abode
Reader, restarted my computer and get the same error when I try to
open Abobe Acrobat 7.0. Ugh. Any help for this one? Thanks!!!