'This document failed to print' Error when Printing to Distiller under Windows XP

Bruce Vander Werf

Nov 23, 2002, 5:47:03 PM11/23/02
I have been using Acrobat 5 for many months and have had an ongoing problem under Windows XP.

When I try to print from an application to Adobe Distiller, it prompts me for a file name (with Intuit.pdf as the default), then returns an error 'This document failed to print'. The application is then completely hung up. I have seen this mostly with Quickbooks Pro 2000, but with other applications, such as Word XP, as well.

At this point I have to completely reinstall Acrobat 5. It will then work once or twice before it starts failing again.

When I have to reinstall just about every time I use the product, you can imagine how absolutely frustrating this is.

This happens with our without the 5.0.5 update and with or without Windows XP SP1.

Please help me solve this problem!!

--Bruce

William A. Davis

Nov 23, 2002, 11:14:33 PM11/23/02
Are you printing by selecting the FILE>Print, selecting Acrobat Distiller as your printer, and then printing? Did you install the MS Postscript default printer, or the Distiller printer from the CD? As I understand it, that latter does not work with XP and you have to install the MS Postscript printer and change it's name to Acrobat Distiller (I think this is needed for AcroTray to automate the conversion process with Distiller) so the software will notice it.

Maybe this includes enough suggestions to get you going.

Michael Jantzen

Nov 25, 2002, 1:31:58 PM11/25/02
Please check the acrobat distiller properties and make sure that distiller is selected on the PDF Port - if it is and it still doesn't work check for acrotray.exe in the task manager process list. (it starts out of start menu->programs->startup under acrobat assistant)

Also - what service pack are you running on XP?

Garald P. Weller

Dec 3, 2002, 8:40:09 PM12/3/02
I also could not print from Quicken Home & Business 2002, using either PDF Writer or Distiller. Distiller is listed in the print setup dialog in Quicken as "Acrobat Distiller on Ne01", whatever that means.

When I print, it generates a file, but the file is only 1k, and when I try to open it, I get the message "There was an error opening this document. Sharing violation." When I try to delete the file, I get "Cannot delete [filename], it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

Both PDF Writer and Distiller work fine with every other application. I had this problem before, but somehow got it to work, and I cannot remember how (reinstalling, maybe?).

Running Acrobat 4, Win XP, Pentium III, 1.2 Gig.

Garald P. Weller

Dec 4, 2002, 1:32:37 AM12/4/02
I dl'd the universal printer driver from the web site, but I get the same result when I print to that printer from Quicken. Here is the log file:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: findf ]%%

Stack:
/TTE162C8E8t00

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]

Garald P. Weller

Dec 4, 2002, 1:32:58 AM12/4/02
Another log file was in the MyDocs\PDF\ subdirectory into which PDF Writer sends the output file (I had to create a new printer port and tie Distiller to it in order to get Distiller to print to that directory):

%%[ Warning: Empty job. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Mark Edgerton

Dec 9, 2002, 7:23:49 PM12/9/02
Bruce -- Were you able to fix your Quickbooks printing problem? What did you change to make it work? I have the same problem as you described. I have tried the recommendations made in this thread to no avail. Thanks.

Mark