Acrobat v9 Pro and Standard Runtime Error!

Dean_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 9:08:27 AM7/15/08
My company recently got in the CD's from Adobe for Acrobat 9 Professional and Acrobat 9 Standard.

I installed Acrobat 9 Pro on one of our systems. The system got a runtime error every time Adobe Acrobat started citing "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Initially, I thought it was an issue with that system. So, I installed Acrobat Standard on two other systems. Both units get the same error.

Of the 3 units 2 are identical IBM workstations with some different software installed. 1 is an HP system. The OS is a fairly clean Windows XP SP2 otherwise very stable installation.

I searched Adobe forums and here but haven't come across much version 9 questions/comments.

Initially, I was going to fully uninstall Acrobat and try the installation again. However, now that 2 other systems are getting the same error, I feel it would be a waste of time.

Any ideas on what to look for to resolve this issue?

Previous version was the latest v8 which 9 uninstalled.

Thanks in advance!

-Dean

EDIT: I did come across this for version 8 and tried the same fix with 9, but to no effect:
C++ Runtime error after launching Acrobat or Adobe Reader 8 on Windows
Issue
When you launch Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard, Professional, or Adobe Reader 8 on Windows, an error occurs:

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Solution
Disable the Updater.api plug-in.

Navigate to where Acrobat or Adobe Reader is installed, usually
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins
or C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\plug_ins
Rename the Updater.api plug-in to Updater.api.old
Relaunch Acrobat or Reader.

Eric_S...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 9:38:16 AM7/15/08
make a new admin domain account and then open acrobat in the new account then try it in the old. you might have to install on the new account but creating the new admin account should work for you. plus make sure 8 is totally off. let me know how this works for you.

Dean_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 12:55:51 PM7/15/08
HI,

Since posting the original message I have tried completely uninstalling Adobe 8. Then I installed just the Acrobat 9 Reader.

I got the same runtime error with the reader executable.

I tried disabling NAV Corporate services and the results are the same.

I have installed Acrobat 9 Pro using a different user account. It made no difference.

Open to any ideas. I have a post on experts-exchange as well.

The runtime error- is it a general conflict between the adobe executable and *some* piece of software on our systems?

-Dean

Sabian_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 1:52:03 PM7/15/08
Dean,

Did you try Eric's suggestion?

Sabian

Dean_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 15, 2008, 2:06:20 PM7/15/08
Yes- the results were identical.

-Dean

Just...@adobeforums.com

Jul 16, 2008, 7:33:51 PM7/16/08
Am seeing the same issues here on a fully patched XP SP2 system that had Acrobat 7 Pro on. I did a full uninstall, reboot, then installed Acrobat 9. Installation went fine, but pretty much nothing is working properly, giving the runtime errors. I tried the suggestions posted here to no avail, as well.

I installed the application on drive D:, not C:-- I may try to uninstall and put it on C: as I've noticed at times Adobe's apps seem very unhappy not in their absolute default locations.

Dean_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 9:50:23 AM7/17/08
Hi Justin,

I am SO glad someone else has this issue. Well, not glad you have issues- but glad to see it's not all that unique.

I suspect you won't have any success installing on C: as I installed on C:.

That problem is that Acrobat 9 takes quite a while to install and time is money.

I spoke with Adobe tech support and it took 30 minutes of the women reading her script and me saying "I did that but will try again."

I told my Manager I thought we were better off sticking with v8 until some patch is released for v9.

I am simply not confident that I will get a resolution with level 2 tech support at adobe. But I am confident it WILL take over 1hr of my time at least.

These systems are fairly vanilla IBM workstations with updated BIOS and not too many apps installed.

Too much of an uphill battle IMO to make v9 work.

But I may attempt to call Adobe again if I have downtime.

-Dean

Jim_V...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 12:14:13 PM7/17/08
I have found the culprit...

Acrobat 9 (reader and pro) do not play well with Redirected Folders in an Active Directory environment. More specifically... a redirected "Application Data" folder.

Any of my users which do NOT have roaming profiles (aka redirected folders) have no problems running acrobat 9. In other words, users who have their "Application Data" folder in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data" are fully functional and do not receive the C++ Runtime error.

Perhaps the Acrobat developers will have a fix for users of the new millenium who use UNC paths...

Hope this helps

Sabian_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 12:36:31 PM7/17/08
Time to talk to your IT Department.

Sabian

Dean_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 12:33:49 PM7/17/08
OK. We also have roaming profiles, but I'm the only one who ever actually "roams".

~I was starting to think that may have something to do with it, but have no control over user accounts.

-Dean

Just...@adobeforums.com

Jul 17, 2008, 4:48:05 PM7/17/08
Adobe needs to get with the program, as folder redirection is becoming increasingly common and there's no reason they should have such issues with it. We had issues with Acrobat 8 not looking in its own installation directory for files there, that it expected in the user's (roamed) "Application Data" folder. (on installation, the files were put both in the Acrobat folder, and the user folder-- instead of copying them over if missing, or looking in Program Files\Acrobat it crashed) Thankfully it was only on specific functions that not many of our users ever used, but I had to copy files manually for those users who did need it.

I run a computer lab with about 40 machines for 300 students-- we have to use roaming profiles, so if this bug is tied to that, well.. I guess we don't use Acrobat 9 until it's fixed.

Thanks for finding that out...

Mike

Jul 17, 2008, 10:50:21 PM7/17/08
If you want Adobe to get with the program you have to let them know.

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>

Mike

Samant...@adobeforums.com

Jul 18, 2008, 8:22:25 AM7/18/08
hi had the same problem. the trick is: if you have reader 9 and acro 9 instolled on the same machine you've got plenty of problems. Try to destroy reader, this helped on my machine.

Daniel...@adobeforums.com

Jul 22, 2008, 10:00:40 AM7/22/08
So here is the flaw... Since i dont see many people saying WHAT the flaw is.

==== THIS IS WITH ROAMING PROFILE CRASHES! ====

Adobe's program iterates the network path from left to right, skipping the first word: \\Server\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\APPLICATION DATA as it searches a user's profile for the APPLICATION DATA folder.

So starting at FOLDER1 it checks to see if it can "create" a folder. It doesnt do it, but it tries to check its access. If your not in the users profile at this point, the program MOST LIKELY cannot because its a directory NOT owned by the user. THe previous folders is something you wouldn't give NORMAL users access to.

After the program FAILS to "create" its folder because it cannot -
The program Crashes:
*R6025 - Pure Virtual function call
* The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x2e80f5e3
* C++ runtime error
* WINDOWS NAME Collision error.
=== ITS ALL OF THESE! Same error, different points in the crashing ===

Solution?
I create a network drive DIRECTLY to the profile, then I update the registery to make that the WINDOWS APPDATA path. ALL of this is done on the user logon scripts. So it was just "solved" one day, except for a new drive letter appearing.

(Added to login script)
net use l: \\SERVER\USER PROFILE TREE\USER PROFILE
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v AppData /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "l:\Application Data" /f

For our work we use: \\SERVER\USER PROFILE TREE\%USERNAME%\%COMPUTERNAME% - so each user has SEPERATE data per computer they are on.

ADOBE - PLEASE update your code so it doesnt iterate like this! If it does RESUME on error, to see if its recoverable before the END of the interation. These are simple mistakes...

THIS will also fix the SIMILAR / SAME(?) BUG in ROXIO products.

brad_...@adobeforums.com

Jul 22, 2008, 6:39:18 PM7/22/08
We have the exact same problem. Redirected folders for appdata, as we have users using different PC's almost daily. Is there anyway to exclude certain folders from appdata redirection? PS I am the sys admin.

Thomas...@adobeforums.com

Jul 30, 2008, 11:05:59 AM7/30/08
I wanted to let you all know that the fix Daniel Gorman mentions worked for me. Here is the thread title he posted under for easy searching:

Daniel Gorman - 7:00am Jul 22, 08 PST (#13

The issue is indeed with Folder Redirection. Mapping the profile and modifying the registry to point at the new 'Application Data' directory fixes the problem with Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Standard for me.

I have created a batch file that runs on each workstation that must run Adobe applications, and have not had any more crashes. The file executes from the following location on the local machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Using this fix avoids having to create unnecessary local admin accounts.

Earlier threads in this forum incorrectly blamed this crash on the Macromedia Activation service:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe

-Thomas Ciecka

Thomas...@adobeforums.com

Jul 30, 2008, 12:41:23 PM7/30/08
Just a note to say that I have sent this item as BUG using the Adobe form on their website.

I included both a description of the problem and the workaround.

-Tom Ciecka

Bob_M...@adobeforums.com

Aug 13, 2008, 3:47:54 PM8/13/08
I had the same error, and Adobe Tech Service was unable to provide a workaround. I had to go back to v8.0 Pro and get a refund for 9.0. Another example of a premature software release.

BM

alastai...@adobeforums.com

Aug 29, 2008, 7:00:24 AM8/29/08
We have the same problem within our establishment, though it works on PC's and laptops that are not connected to the network.

Has this problem been fixed?

Michael...@adobeforums.com

Sep 4, 2008, 11:44:03 PM9/4/08
Daniel appears to have the fix if you're using XP, but this doesn't work in Vista. Vista want a UNC and gives an error message "Invalid drive: I:\" when you try to run 9.0 after setting up the batch file.

Anyone know of a way to make it work in Vista?

michaelkazlow

Sep 5, 2008, 10:59:44 AM9/5/08
Michael,

If you want to contact Adobe either use their official tech support or
file a bug/feature request.

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>

Mike

Michael...@adobeforums.com

Sep 5, 2008, 11:27:16 AM9/5/08
Thanks, Mike. I posted a bug report last night. Based on some of the other posts here, I didn't have much enthusiasm for contacting Adobe's official support. If I can't get a workaround by Monday, I'll probably contact Adobe Support.

Michael...@adobeforums.com

Sep 5, 2008, 1:52:19 PM9/5/08
I think I've got it figured for Vista. You have to map the drive on each individual machine first (using the same drive letter you've used in Daniel's script addition, of course), then set up the login script as Daniel posted. The drive mapping should point to \\SERVER\USER PROFILE TREE\USER PROFILE

Michael...@adobeforums.com

Sep 10, 2008, 12:08:15 PM9/10/08
UPDATE on the workaround: Although the workaround works for Acrobat, it hoses Nuance PaperPort's settings in the way they interact with the OneTouch scanner software provided by Xerox for the Xerox Documate 252. Here's a link to the fix for that problem:

<http://support.visioneer.com/KnowledgeBase/Articles/VIS1202%20-%20Preview%20Works%20but%20Scan%20is%20not%20Sent%20to%20PaperPort%2010%20or%2011.asp>

Harald...@adobeforums.com

Sep 23, 2008, 5:19:12 AM9/23/08
Hello Thomas Ciecka - there is Harald Loidl - are you able to send me the batch file you created to fix the runtime error problem of Adobe's Acrobat. - my mail-adress is: h.l...@aon.at
thanks

Ken_Sut...@adobeforums.com

Oct 5, 2008, 2:02:03 AM10/5/08
Using Windows XP I attempted to download Acrobat9 (several times) but will not open giving message "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" It doesn't. The .exe file is in C/Program Files/Adobe/Reader9.0/Reader/ AcroRd32.exe. I've tried moving files into the Applications Folder with no change. I have advise Adobe but not expecting a response. Could anyone give me a simple work around. I am a senior, non expert user and not familiar with Drive Mapping.

Daniel...@adobeforums.com

Oct 7, 2008, 12:49:29 PM10/7/08
If you want updates, sorry forgot about this forum... There are other work arounds.

The one that is "more" correct but would suck to do manually on large user bases would be to give each user a hidden share ($ share).

So if before your absolute path to profile was:
\\servername\profile_directory\username\computername

Create the share \\servername\profile_directory\username$

so update folder redirection to:
\\servername\username$\%computername%

The trick here is MAKE SURE you disable EVERYONE from read on the share A DEFAULT setting, and ADD that user to read. THIS IS ONLY if your structure is like mine with computer name directory PAST username.

If its just username, READ/Write/full access.

This also works for me...

Also in my tinkering to look for more elegent solutions, and maybe I was tired, I even tried "subst" with hiding drive letters. Since a subst on a network drive, always sayd "disconnected" network drive.

This is all if you cannot use the HOMEDIRECTORY feature of active directory, and such a home directory also contains their profile.

My network is quite legacy in some regards, and we actually have a homedirectory that is linked to a personal storage place for computers, not allowing home profiles to be stored there.

Daniel...@adobeforums.com

Oct 7, 2008, 1:05:07 PM10/7/08
Keep in mind also no matter if you COPY files to the applications data folder that is IRREVELVENT! if the registry keys point somewhere else:

KEY:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

OPTION:
APPDATA

VALUE:
\\SERVER\USERNAME$\COMPUTERNAME\Application Data

NEVER NEVER NEVER use %username% / %computername% in here, but you can REFERENCE it!

IN STARTUP SCRIPT (example):

-- THIS IS ONE COMMAND --
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v AppData /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "v:\Application Data" /fREG_EXPAND_SZ /d \\servername\%username%$\%computername%\"Application Data" /f
-- END COMMAND --

if that helps.

Daniel...@adobeforums.com

Oct 7, 2008, 1:14:21 PM10/7/08

Joseph...@adobeforums.com

Oct 8, 2008, 7:21:46 PM10/8/08
I too am an admin, though for a smaller corporation and therefore do not have as much experience in registry editing. We previously had folder redirection, and I have run into this problem myself (side note: Acrobat 8.0 worked just fine). However, even after disabling the folder redirection, uninstalling Acrobat 9 and reinstalling, and checking every aspect short of the registry, the same problem keeps occurring. I spent an hour on the phone with tier 1 customer support, and all they could point me to was this forum. Does anyone have that batch file that Thomas Cieka mentioned? I hesitate to do registry edits myself as I don't want to accidentally turn a computer into an expensive paperweight. I can be reached for ANY ADVICE at josep...@reeferseal.com. Thanks in advance!!

Ethan_...@adobeforums.com

Oct 9, 2008, 3:34:04 PM10/9/08
I'm cross-posting this answer here as well... Originally posted here:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webex?14@@.59b5bd75>

This fix does not work when you redirect the Application Data directory with Group Policy. The folder redirection happens as part of the logon processor before the script processes... You simply do not use a drive letter with this option in group policy - and you can't change it (to the same location) later as it resets back to the GP applied UNC path immediately.

In other words - Adobe needs to fix this, these work around solutions are not acceptable, nor functional in many situations.

My fix is to go back to Acrobat Pro 8.0, and copy the Objects, Templates and Samples directories from '%ProgramFiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Designer 8.0\EN' to '%APPDATA%\Adobe\Designer\8.0\EN' for the user with %APPDATA% redirected to a UNC path... Which gets the LiveCycle Designer 8.0 to run with out the same basic error.

Joseph...@adobeforums.com

Oct 13, 2008, 1:08:18 PM10/13/08
Thanks for the info. I was still totally unable to get Acrobat 9 working, so I downloaded READER from their website and got the SAME ERROR! I gave up...I had to call Adobe and get a downgrade license from them. My company will not be ordering anything else with version 9 on it until I know for sure that this issue has been repaired.

Pascal_va...@adobeforums.com

Oct 14, 2008, 3:28:36 AM10/14/08
Hi all
After I finished the workarround with changing the APPDATA path to a hidden network drive, Adobe Acrobat 9 is now working.

BUT now when I would like to create an new link on the desktop, he don't refresh. I have to klick on F5 to refresh. Does anybody has the same or a simular problem?

John...@adobeforums.com

Nov 7, 2008, 10:55:37 AM11/7/08
Does Abode have a time frame for a fix? I cannot apply these hacks (and yes thats what they are - no reasonably good IT group would implement them in production) in my environment to get one buggy application to work. I called support and all they did was direct me here and not give my any information or time frame on a potential fix. Oh yeah, I can also submit a feature request. Awesome.

This is absolutely horrible customer service. There was nobody I could talk to besides a level 1 tech and this forum, there was nobody to even tell me if and when a fix may be released. How am I supposed to go back to the business and tell them I cant upgrade our terminal service environment because of Acrobat? That is ridiculous. I cant even go to back to 8.0, because the PDF printer doesnt work on x64 systems, which is what I am using.

All in all Adobe pinned me against a wall with no forseeable outcome. Thanks.

Ethan_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 6, 2009, 4:00:18 PM1/6/09
I strongly suggest that everyone who has been impacted by this bug submit the Bug Report Form...

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform>

In fact; as juvenile as it sounds I think that this is going nowhere unless you have all your end users who are also impacted by this bug also fill out the bug form.

Ben_Van_S...@adobeforums.com

Jan 7, 2009, 8:23:19 AM1/7/09
We experienced the same problem in our company with only 1 user working on a Vista workstation. Other Vista-users did not have the problem.

After some research I found that for only this user the value App Data in the key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\windows\Current Version\explorer\shell folders and User shell folders was set to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data. In Windows Vista the folder Apllication Data does not exist as a folder. the App data value should be set to %USERPROFILE%\App Data\Roaming.

After changing this value the runtime error was gone.

Joseph...@adobeforums.com

Jan 28, 2009, 4:34:09 PM1/28/09
Thanks to Ben for his fix...I set it as recommended and the program almost sat up and begged. I am definitely filling out the form for Bug Fix, however. This is ridiculous...a company as widespread as Adobe should know that enterprise-scaled domains often have their Application Data folders redirected, as either a Group Policy or directly in the registry.

Mar...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 4:46:22 PM2/12/09
Same problem here. Reader and Acrobat Can't go anywhere.. and Foxit works but people complain. "I can't open my adobe files" GRRR ADOBE PLEASE RETURN MY CALL... LOL its worth a shot...

H...@adobeforums.com

Feb 18, 2009, 9:15:25 AM2/18/09
* ****IMportant Troubleshoot******

Yesterday I was messing around with NTFS file permissions. When I used my PC today I opened acrobat to view my pdf and it brought up the Visual C++ runtime error and closed right away. I rebooted, troubleshooted, did research, rebooted... I figured I could unistall it, I couldnt even do that..

Well to make a long story short... I denied my user to the C drive. Yes I actually allowed it on one NTFS permission and had deny on a special permission... Deny outweighs Allow... Well once I allowed the user access to the C drive.

Adobe works fine again!!! Check your NTFS permissions, make sure your user has access to the drive where Adobe is installed.

Just...@adobeforums.com

Mar 18, 2009, 6:59:33 PM3/18/09
So I was looking at the Acrobat 9.1 release notes and found this little nugget:
"Roaming Profiles on Windows and Networked Home Directory on Macintosh are not supported configurations for 9.0 or 9.1, however we have made several fixes in 9.1. We are looking at the possibility of supporting this for the next major release."

Not very promising. Has anyone who ran into this issue with roaming profiles before tried 9.1? Any differences in how it runs? It implies it may work better now. That said, I don't feel like messing with it if someone else has already tried it and it doesn't work.

I cannot believe for a "professional" level application that Adobe isn't supporting roaming profiles in Windows. That's only been a standard Windows way of doing business for what now, 10-15 years? And it worked fine as recently as Acrobat 8? I would hope they mean next major release as being 9.2, but I am afraid they mean 10.0.

Unacceptable. Unless this is fixed soon I don't see myself pushing to upgrade our Adobe licenses again.

SCor...@adobeforums.com

Mar 20, 2009, 1:32:30 PM3/20/09
This is particular roaming profile workflow is now working in Acrobat and Reader 9.1.

SCor...@adobeforums.com

Mar 20, 2009, 2:30:56 PM3/20/09
If you are interested in bug numbers associated with the Roaming Profiles on Windows error. The issue of the error occurring on launch is bug number #1852759 and a secondary bug issue with signature signing related to Roaming Profiles on Windows is bug number #1926172.

Again, these issues have been addressed in Acrobat and Reader 9.1.