Re: 'Unable to start print job'

David Calondis

Apr 1, 2008, 2:58:29 PM4/1/08
After trying fixes above I'm still getting the "unable to start print job. is printer available?" message. I have Adobe Reader 8.1.2 installed to server X and clients run it from there. All works fine when I run Adobe Reader at server X or when fully installed to my client PC. Help/F1 not displaying is another issue. Anyone else run Reader in the same server/client scenario?

Tom_Co...@adobeforums.com

Apr 8, 2008, 4:17:07 PM4/8/08
Tried everything above. Nothing worked. Went Start - Settings - Printers and Faxes - Right click target printer - properties -advanced - printing defaults - quality - graphics - apply. Worked for me.

Stan...@adobeforums.com

Nov 10, 2008, 9:51:42 PM11/10/08
I had the problem with both Acrobat Reader and the Full Acrobat 8 Professional, versions 8.1.2 and then 8.1.3. I was able to fix it by running the Repair Acrobat Installation option on the Help menu.

th...@adobeforums.com

Nov 18, 2008, 4:12:53 PM11/18/08
A customer called me with the same msg. Let me explain first what the problem was..they had a Graphic PDF that on the HD was 20 MB but when extracted was well over 200 MB..first I had thought the pdf was exceeding the Printers memory but after testing it was not. The customer was printing the document using adobe PRO I had him print the document in reader 8.1 and made sure the print as image under advanced was selected and the document printed..

Art_...@adobeforums.com

Dec 16, 2008, 10:21:29 PM12/16/08
FROM: Art Cohen

TO: Stan Rose

I tried your fix by running the "Repair Acrobat Installation" and it worked just fine. Thank you for posting this.

I had tried lots of other things, including two unsuccessful calls to Technical Support. I almost ended up taking the trouble to re-install Acrobat, but then I saw your post and did not need to. (I did re-install Adobe Reader 9.0 twice, but it made no difference.)

Stan...@adobeforums.com

Dec 17, 2008, 8:57:19 AM12/17/08
Glad that worked for you. It was actually the simplest fix.

Maya_M...@adobeforums.com

Jan 5, 2009, 4:49:32 PM1/5/09
to solve "unable to start printing job"

1- open control panel
2- open add/remove programs
3- remove adobe acrobat reader
4- go to this web site <http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php>
5- download "Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows" by clicking "Free Download"

enjoy opening, reading and printing you PDF documents with no errors or bugs

george...@adobeforums.com

Jan 5, 2009, 5:34:10 PM1/5/09
I had the same problem also until I upgraded to 8.1.3, and now it prints. I never did try repair (that was next step...)

Neo2k

Feb 10, 2009, 12:06:31 PM2/10/09

What a stupid suggestion!! So in ur opinion, the fix is removing the
software and installing one u promote? What a cheap promotional
tactic...It would have been better to keep ur mouth shut!

Jorge_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 14, 2009, 5:43:05 PM3/14/09
I solved this problem by doing the following:

1. Go to File.
2. Choose the "Print" option
3. On the Print window choose the "advanced" option.
4. If on the "settings" options change from "custom" to "acrobat default".

This is how I solved the problem.

Michae...@adobeforums.com

Mar 22, 2009, 6:31:13 PM3/22/09
@Stan Rose

Many thanks. Your elegant Repair Acrobat Installation solution worked for me just now -- Acrobat 8.1.4, Windows XP Pro -- after weeks of trying other suggestions in these forums (and quietly going nuts).