Re: SERIOUS ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL 8 ERROR

Utsab_Ban...@adobeforums.com

Apr 4, 2008, 1:26:20 PM4/4/08
Ok I am Using abode Acrobat 8.1.0 Professional in Desktop Computer with Windows Xp Pro and on Vista Starters Edition in my Acer Laptop.Previously I was using Adobe Acrobat 7.0 in both of the comps but some features were missing in vista that we use to get for converting word documents to pdf.It installed properly on my xp pc and also on vista.But after some time in vista the windows explorer was shutting down as i clicked on my computer and other networks so i used system restore.The problem got solved and the previous Adobe Acrobat 7.0 got installed and asked installation cd so i canceled it and uninstalled it.Then as I again attempted to reinstall Acrobat 8.1.0 after entering serial no.after few steps then after selecting the location and next steps the windows installer gives the message program has stopped responding.Can any one give any solution to fix this problem without installing vista again.

Dimitri...@adobeforums.com

Apr 5, 2008, 4:12:16 PM4/5/08
I had installed and activated Acrobat 8 standard edition in Desktop computer with Windows 2000 SP4. Some days ago I replaced that computer with a new one without deactivating Acrobat. It's HD has been already formatted and I can't go back to deactivate.
I tried to install and use again Acrobat in my new computer, with a similar configuration but it does not allow to activate itself. \
Has anyone any idea to solve my problem? Thank you in advance

Michael...@adobeforums.com

Apr 23, 2008, 1:39:34 PM4/23/08
ADOBE ACROBAT PRO 8.0 install error, system crash:

Hi,

I recently tried to install Acrobat Pro 8.0 on my machine (Windows XP Pro, x64), and now the system crashes on every reboot. The major problem I ran into was that, during the install, I received a "warning" message to stop the install because "the 'printers' had not passed the Windows *something* testing (I don't recall exactly right now), which may at some point adversely affect your system." Upon receiving this urgent message, I stopped the install, but when I tried to uninstall/remove the program from the system, the only option was to complete the installation. At the end of the installation it asks for something on the Windows Vista installation disk, which I don't have (because it's not the OS I'm running). Now, the system crashes (blue screen) just a few seconds after rebooting, every time.

Is there any way to force the uninstall, or is there any way to repair the application for XP Pro x64? I'd really like to fix this without a full system restore/rebuild.

Thanks for any help on this!

Joe_...@adobeforums.com

Apr 25, 2008, 12:23:57 AM4/25/08
I want to THANK the person that posted this link:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750>

Even though I am running Windows XP that fixed my problem. Ever since I bought Acrobat 8 I could not use it. I had to resort to pirating version 7. If I download the latest 8.1.3 update it would not make any difference. But the licensing patch fixed my issue. Acrobat loaded right up and finally showed the activation screen and I was able to connect online and activate.

ADOBE YOU NEED TO

1) FIX YOUR KNOWLEGEBASE. I SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND EVEN WENT THROUGH THE TROUBLESHOOTING DOC. THEY ARE ***WORTHLESS*** (simple because it could not fix my issue and because your site said it was a Vista patch and described the issue wrong... in my case the Acrobat app always crash within 10 sec and just stay hung. So fix that description and fix it to say its for XP too!!!

2) INCLUDE THAT PATCH WITH THE UPDATE!!!! Why didn't you??

I totally understand there can be bugs in a program but to spend $420 on a piece of software and have a bug that makes it unusable and then your website even a year later (I see all these posts around mid-2007 about this issue!!!) and then have a hidden, mislabeled and illdescribed update to fix the issue is just not acceptable. It should have been included with every patch or upgrade for Acrobat 8.x.

Thomas...@adobeforums.com

Jul 30, 2008, 12:35:36 PM7/30/08
Phil,

Do you know if your Windows network is using Folder Redirection?

-Tom Ciecka

jeetend...@adobeforums.com

Aug 9, 2008, 2:39:02 PM8/9/08
For windows 2003, i had same issue running as administrator.
I renamed
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dll8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dll file to D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dll8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dllxx

and now the C++ runtime error got disappeared.

Enjoy...

Ken_Fr...@adobeforums.com

Aug 9, 2008, 2:48:34 PM8/9/08
Without sounding cynical or patronizing, why not install Acrobat 9 and solve your problems that way? I never installed Acrobat Pro 8 on my systems because of all the problems reported in this loooong thread. I upgraded from Acrobat Pro 7 to Acrobat Pro 9 instead. I had no problems with Acrobat Pro 9 whatsoever.

Ken Friedman

Leonard_...@adobeforums.com

Aug 10, 2008, 3:30:19 PM8/10/08
Beware. I tried to install Acrobat 9. First it made me uninstall Acrobat 8. Then when I installed Acrobat 9 all hell broke loose. After 14 hours, I tried to re-install Acrobat 8, which failed with error messages listed above. I tried Windows XP system restore which messed things up even more. I don't suggest trying to solve your problems by installing Acrobat 9. More money down the drain. I spent over 12 hours Saturday and 4 today before giving up and enjoying what was left of my weekend.

syed_was...@adobeforums.com

Aug 21, 2008, 4:55:10 AM8/21/08
adobe acrobat professional restart automatically give me solution

Gary_S...@adobeforums.com

Oct 3, 2008, 10:28:24 PM10/3/08
Perhaps my Acrobat 8 Professional reinstallation problem is related...

AFAIK, back before my external hard drive failed, installing from the CD and registering Acrobat on a Vista partition caused no problem. However, the external drive with the installation failed two days ago, and now I am unable to reinstall (or uninstall) Acrobat 8.

Each time I try, I get this Windows Installer message when using the CD (or transferring the data to the hard drive):
"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

So what do I do from here?

Reading this results of other's installation problems on Vista don't leave me every encouraged.

Gary

che...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2008, 5:20:46 AM10/15/08

che...@adobeforums.com

Oct 15, 2008, 5:28:16 AM10/15/08
I've tryed what #361 said and didn't worked for me. Too bad.

Steve...@adobeforums.com

Nov 17, 2008, 10:13:13 PM11/17/08
Hello all,

I am on Windows Vista and I am using CS3 suite.
I did not have the issue when I first installed it, but after a little while (3 months), all that is described in this tread started "happening". Acrobat would stop after a couple of minutes, Serious error message prompt, and all the other adobe programs would not close unless we killed them. Accrotray.exe alerts started showing
as well, although to this day, I cannot tell if this is related.

Here are some of my notes :
"A Fix for Adobe Reader 8.0" (Post #353) is no longer online (dead link)
Post #343 worked FINE for me. I am now stuck with Acrobat 8 (since I disabled the updater) but hey...
And to Matthew (Post #358 and a lot more): Thanks for your help. There a a LOT more people affected by this since this tread started... I, myself, know 4 colleagues in my area only !

Good luck to all.

Laura...@adobeforums.com

Nov 20, 2008, 4:59:19 PM11/20/08
Hello,

I too am having issues with Adobe Acrobat 8 that came with CS3. For about a year I was able create pdfs from anyting and recent, when it kept trying to install Acrobat 8.1.3 I am no longer able to create any pdf's.

I've tried everything from using the installation CD to repair the error and to trying the upgrade 8.1.3 but after it finishes and restarts my acrobat is still 8.0. Now when I try to create a PDF it is basically cancelled my conversion process so that nothing happens. What annoyed me was that I was able to create a pdf yesterday and today, I am unable to do anything.

I've called the technical support and after giving my information to verify that I had a legitamate copy the tech asked for money before helping me any further. I am annoyed that I paid 2000 for my program last year and now I have to pay another 40 to people who do not speak fluent English and blame me for having a quiet phone. What is wrong with my program?

56St...@adobeforums.com

Nov 25, 2008, 12:54:32 PM11/25/08
I too am having the same problems as you all. I have had maginal temporary success with the repair installation process but it seems to be temporary. I'm using XP pro on a 1 year old dell machine. I'm an avid updater so everything is up to par, theroretically. I bought CS3 from Journey Ed. com as a student at the JC. Acrobat Pro 8 has not been very stable from the getgo and I'm mostly disappointed in it's performance. The email archiving to PDF never worked and it has crashed out due to memeory issues consitantly. Now that I upgraded to the 8.1 I'm having the same activation issues, having to stop work and go thru this 20 min process of repair and reboot. I think Adobe has some great products and certainly you would think after all this time and millions of dollars in profits that a major software release problem would be somewhat of a priority unless of course you don't care about your customer base. I am certainly hesitant to move to CS4 at this juncture.

Stan

wayne_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 1, 2009, 11:54:10 PM1/1/09
I'll jump in here with my update problem with Acrobat Pro 8. I tried to go to 8.3.1 via a msg from Adobe after I had fired up Acrobat. The update failed, and I've tried quite a few ways to reinstall or repair it. I noticed Matthew Hamann's remarks about using CCleaner, so used it. Interesting program. I found I had maybe 40-50 registry items to be fixed. None seemed related to Adobe. It ended up fixing one problem despite my requesting all. It didn't help. Further suggestions in using CC or how to get this product off my machine or fixed. I cannot use Acrobat now.

wayne_...@adobeforums.com

Jan 2, 2009, 11:54:45 AM1/2/09
Strangely when I revisited the Adobe tech support suggestions, the use of msiexec now worked. My previous attempt to use it resulted in messages about bad install. Maybe CClean did fix some registry problem.

I have now re-installed from my CD 8.1.2 (I vaguely recall seeing that version #. Unfortunately, there seems no way to tell unless I go to Add/Remove.). It now works.

su...@adobeforums.com

Jan 4, 2009, 7:31:40 AM1/4/09
Completely remove Adobe Acrobat 8 from Add Remove program. Ensure that remnants of Adobe Acrobat 8 are deleted from Program files.

Restart the Computer, reinstall it, and once again restart the computer.

This is the standard method of eliminating error in the installation.

Mark Weiss

Jan 20, 2009, 11:31:32 PM1/20/09
I'm also having this problem with Acrobat 8. It loads, then a few seconds later, it changes to 'Not responding' for about a minute or more. Then it recovers.
This is on a workstation that is not connected to any network, but it standalone secure workstation. Files are shuttled in and out via USB memory sticks only.
Is there a way to tweak it so it doesn't hang the machine for so long?

smehr818

Jan 26, 2009, 1:43:38 AM1/26/09
On Jan 20, 8:31 pm, "Mark Weiss" <mweiss.java...@rcn.com> wrote:
> I'm also having this problem with Acrobat 8. It loads, then a few seconds later, it changes to 'Notresponding' for about a minute or more. Then it recovers.
> This is on a workstation that isnotconnected to any network, but it standalone secure workstation. Files are shuttled in and out via USB memory sticks only.

> Is there a way to tweak it so it doesn't hang the machine for so long?

I'm using adobe acrobat pro 8.1. It was working fine until recently I
tried to combine two pdfs together (which I have done before) and
adobe starts to do the combining process but stops and does not
respond (freezes). Also, when I try to save as, it also does not
respond. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Chris_...@adobeforums.com

Feb 12, 2009, 6:09:37 PM2/12/09
I am using a 32 bit 4GB PC w/ XP SP2 and now Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3 on it. I am trying to save a 43MB PDF as a plain text file

Export -> More Formats -> Text (plain) from the menu bar at top

The PDF document is large at 5568 pages and I get a couple of different errors:

Faulting application acrobat.exe, version 8.1.0.137, faulting module makeaccessible.api, version 8.1.0.137, fault address 0x00034876

With this error above I am definitely crossing the 2GB RAM boundary when I get the error. But honestly why does Acrobat need 2 GB of RAM to export a file to plain Text ????? This smells like a really bad memory leak IMHO. I actually can "Page Pass:" all 5568 pages but then after that the RAM consumption goes sky-high and then it dies with that infamous dialog that you all report.

I also received a different error which is same as above though it references ntdll.dll as in:

faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000188fa

in various call stack outputs from VS2005 it shows ntdll.dll calls makeaccessible.api which then calls itself ?recursively until it dies.. in other words ntdll.dll and makeaccessible.api are always one above the other in the call stack if that helps you folks at Adobe if your listening

The ntdll.dll error doesn't occur at the 2GB RAM line but this error happens at only ~ 1.1 GB. But I'd still argue that there is a memory leak somewhere in this case as well. MY document is 44 MB - come on - how large is Acrobat 8 ???

So I follow what "Self Help" directions I could find and use 'msconfig' to disable nearly everything except my Symantec virus scanner and I also unplugged both GB network interfaces as well and the issue *STILL* happens.

About 3 weeks ago I was on the phone with the Adobe tech support and they were the ones who told me about unplugging the network interface.
That allowed my 8.1.2 Acrobat to convert a 40 MB PDF into TXT and it worked... They didn't charge my credit card for the call but for the price I paid for this you'd think they have an update or a fix for something like this. This is just bad or non-existent QA .. Their answer was we only support Acrobat 9 sir and you would need to buy that to get your free incident support. This is poor support IMHO as most vendors support current rev plus 1 rev back - so why not Adobe ?

unhappy customer looking for other options
Chris

Thomas_S...@adobeforums.com

Mar 6, 2009, 2:40:16 PM3/6/09

I want to THANK the person that posted this link:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750>

INDEED!

I have been round the install/repair/uninstall mulberry bush WAY too many times. I suspected it was something small, as all the installers worked without a hitch, but the app always hung within a second of launching.

Such a SIMPLE fix! Acrobat Pro 8.1.3 now up & running on Vista 64!

THANK YOU!!!

YANSY_...@adobeforums.com

Mar 26, 2009, 1:12:24 PM3/26/09
Hi All!
So this morning my entire Adobe Creative Suite which includes Acrobat Professional 8.0 went down in flames! The Acrobat would shut down and give the error you all are speaking of and the design software said that the licensing had stopped working.

I called tech support and they actually fixed it! This is what you do...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD | CUT AND PASTE THE PCD.DB FILE ONTO YOUR DESKTOP IN A DO NOT DELETE THESE FILES FOLDERS THAT YOU CREATE.

THEN...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet | CUT AND PASTE INTO THAT SAME FOLDER YOU CREATED ON YOUR DESKTOP THE adobe_00080000_tsf.data FILE

SHUT YOUR SYSTEM DOWN AND THEN TURN IT BACK ON...DO NOT RESTART.

YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE TO RE-ENTER YOUR SERIAL NUMBER LIKE I DID. ONCE YOU DO AND YOU ARE REGISTERED, SHUT DOWN YOUR SYSTEM AGAIN AND TURN IT BACK ON.

YOU ARE NOW FIXED!

Please feel free to email me with any questions!
ynar...@leetem.com

Dragan_Mi...@adobeforums.com

Mar 31, 2009, 7:13:56 AM3/31/09
When I want to open .pdf files with Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3,Adobe Flash Player Plugin set up start and nothing happened after that,I can`t view .pdf file.
Adobe Flash Player Plugin set up details:
Execute:&#733;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe&#733;
Extract:NPSWF32.dll
Extract:NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe
Extract:flashplayer.xpt
Created uninstaller:C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe
Completed

Before everything worked,I have installed Adobe Flash Player 10Plugin and Adobe Flash Player 10ActiveX Controls.What to do run Adobe Acrobat again?