Font Encoding in PDFs - CID / Identity-H

Pauline Harder

Nov 15, 2002, 1:08:32 PM11/15/02
Hi, I am seeing more and more instances of CID fonts in the PDFs I preflight. Even PDFs not made from InDesign. As a test, on one of our PCs I made a word document with three fonts: Symbol, Tahoma, and Times New Roman. All three fonts are identified by my OS (Win2000) as being Open Type with True Type outlines. The Symbol and Times New Roman fonts are Monotype, the Tahoma is Microsoft. I write to Postscript file using Adobe PS 5.52 with Prinergy Refiner ppd. I distilled using Acrobat 5.05 with Creo Distiller assistant and Creo PDF pages job options. The resulting PDF file lists Symbol as Type: TrueType(CID), encoding: Identity-H, while the Tahoma and Times New Roman are TrueType/Windows. Any one know why?
Thanks, Pauline

Aandi Inston

Nov 15, 2002, 1:22:59 PM11/15/02
This is likely to appear from anyone using OpenType fonts, now
standard in Windows 2000 and Mac OS X. If your workflow can't handle
such fonts, you need to get it fixed. Older RIPs may need patches.

Aandi Inston

Pauline Harder

Nov 15, 2002, 2:04:16 PM11/15/02
Hi Aandi,

Why then, do the tahoma and Times New Roman fonts (which my OS identifies as being Open Type, same as the Symbol) not become CID encoded? What's the difference?

Pauline

Aandi Inston

Nov 15, 2002, 2:11:50 PM11/15/02
The PostScript driver will make a decision about whether to turn the
fonts into CID fonts, which in turn Distiller will make further
decisions about. It's pretty unpredictable.

But then, it should just not be an issue.

Aandi Inston