Can't Print! What is "Print to File/Output File Name" Box?

Dean...@adobeforums.com

Apr 26, 2008, 4:55:26 PM4/26/08
Only recently have I been unable to print PDFs. It's not an error, but just something I've never seen/never been asked for.

When I hit "print"....you get the "progress" window/graph..it starts then you get another box 'titled' (in the blue bar)"Print to File". It has a field you're supposed to fill in called "Output File Name:"

I've never been asked for this, I don't know what it means, and every attempt to fill in a file name doesn't do anything; If you type something in...the box disappears, the progress bar fills in to 100%, that box disappears...

and nothing prints!

When I print any other document or photo, it just prints. I've printed PDFs for a few years, and this never came up. I'm running XP media center on an HP computer (Athlon X2 64). My printer is an HP 2401 all-in-one. I have Reader 8.1, which I updated to yesterday AFTER I got this problem, thinking it might fix it (it didn't). I had some Windows updates install last week..not sure exactly what, though.

What do I need to do to go back to the situation where when I hit "Print"...something just prints; I don't need to name an output file (whatever that means!). Do I do something with/to Reader? Is it a Printer setting, or something in Windows "My Printers"/Control Panel?

HELP!!

Thanks!

graffiti

Apr 26, 2008, 7:04:37 PM4/26/08
File>Print, unselect "print to file".

lfab...@tampabay.rr.com

Jul 12, 2012, 7:18:18 PM7/12/12
On Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:55:26 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Only recently have I been unable to print PDFs. It's not an error, but just something I've never seen/never been asked for.
>
> When I hit "print"....you get the "progress" window/graph..it starts then you get another box 'titled' (in the blue bar)"Print to File". It has a field you're supposed to fill in called "Output File Name:"
>
> I've never been asked for this, I don't know what it means, and every attempt to fill in a file name doesn't do anything; If you type something in...the box disappears, the progress bar fills in to 100%, that box disappears...
>
> and nothing prints!
>
> When I print any other document or photo, it just prints. I've printed PDFs for a few years, and this never came up. I'm running XP media center on an HP computer (Athlon X2 64). My printer is an HP 2401 all-in-one. I have Reader 8.1, which I updated to yesterday AFTER I got this problem, thinking it might fix it (it didn't). I had some Windows updates install last week..not sure exactly what, though.
>
> What do I need to do to go back to the situation where when I hit "Print"...something just prints; I don't need to name an output file (whatever that means!). Do I do something with/to Reader? Is it a Printer setting, or something in Windows "My Printers"/Control Panel?
>
> HELP!!
>
> Thanks!

ayush...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2013, 2:23:16 AM9/30/13
while you are priting your file please un-select the "Print To File" option

THANKS

spellerbergs...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2014, 7:43:54 AM12/9/14
YES it's in the Cpntrol panel, printer options

bwatki...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2016, 7:04:48 AM2/24/16

katepl...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 12:40:35 PM4/21/16
On Monday, 30 September 2013 07:23:16 UTC+1, ayush...@gmail.com wrote:
> while you are priting your file please un-select the "Print To File" option
>
> THANKS

I have default printer selected but item still goes to print to file .prn I don't have print to file selected. I'm stumped!!

sainswo...@gmail.com

May 3, 2016, 7:16:11 PM5/3/16
On Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 7:04:37 PM UTC-4, graffiti wrote:
> File>Print, unselect "print to file".

I have been battling with that problem for AGES and today sat down and thought, "There MUST be a solution to this", so I googled it and came up with your post. Saved me!! Thanks A LOT!

qadeer...@gmail.com

May 28, 2016, 7:43:48 AM5/28/16
On Monday, September 30, 2013 at 9:23:16 AM UTC+3, ayush...@gmail.com wrote:
> while you are priting your file please un-select the "Print To File" option
>
> THANKS

thank you and its worthy

Dayna Wesley

Feb 28, 2023, 3:27:59 PM2/28/23
For the person reading this in 2023:

1. Open any PDF
2. Go to "File"
3. Select "Print"
4. Click on "Advanced"
5. At the bottom you'll see "Print to File"
6. Uncheck "Print to File" and you should be good to go :)