Error Parsing Voucher

lhuston

Feb 3, 2003, 3:55:49 PM2/3/03
I've just downloaded Acrobat Reader 5.1 on to my Windows 2000 operating system. I went to open a new PDF file and I got the following message that popped up:

Adobe Download Manager
The download cannot continue. Error parsing voucher.

I called Adobe customer service and they couldn't find answer, so they suggested the forum. Anyone have a clue about this? Please help.

Thanks!

Lisa

Robert J. Rogers

Feb 8, 2003, 11:43:02 PM2/8/03
I get the same message error when I try
to open pdf file that I already have in my documents folder. I had reader 3.1
I too would like to know why the message?
It only happens when I try open the file before opening Reader. If not I get the same error message "parsing vocher download cannot continue." Then when I close the error window it deletes the file I was trying to open off the hard drive.
Hope we both get some help on this, Thanks
Bob

Robert J. Rogers

Feb 8, 2003, 11:54:19 PM2/8/03
I too get the same message when I try to open pdf file in my documents folder. I had downloaded the file when I had reader 3.1 When I close the error message box it deletes the file off my hard drive.
This only happens when I try to open the file without first opening Reader 5.1.
In 3.1 I could just double click the file, then it would open in acrobat.
Hope I too get an answer?
Thanks, Bob

Claudio González

Feb 9, 2003, 5:59:44 AM2/9/03
There are several recent threads on the topic; here is one:

Claudio González "Error msg when attempting to read a pdf file." 2/1/03 2:09pm </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de7a7c7/0>

JOECALVI

Feb 10, 2003, 9:48:54 AM2/10/03
WHEN I ATTEMPTED TO DOWNLOAD ACROBAT READER 5.1 TO MY WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION, THE ERROR MESSAGE "COULD NOT CONTINUE DOWNLOAD, ERROR PARSING ERROR APPEARED.

WHAT CAN I DO?
JOE

Claudio González

Feb 10, 2003, 6:26:26 PM2/10/03
Read my previous message, follow the link, and do as told. You could also stop using all caps; they make reading more difficult and in the Internet they are considering as shouting. Some people -myself included- don't like being shouted at.

Sharon Gilbert

Feb 14, 2003, 12:39:26 AM2/14/03
Claudio - I attempted to use Tom's solution to error parsing voucher - was able to copy the address into the browser - clicked GO - but at the site was not offered a popup window with a SAVE option. Thought heck, I'll do file save-as in the drop down menu - no go - wouldn't launch or download this way. Any other suggestions for an XP Home edition user? I interrupted my initial download in error (I know now...)Thanks

Claudio González

Feb 14, 2003, 6:58:18 AM2/14/03
Apparently, the ftp address is not working as it used to. Try the address given now in the FAQs.

b holland

Feb 18, 2003, 10:12:24 AM2/18/03
Lisa -
I am having the same problem....

Bob

Claudio González

Feb 18, 2003, 11:10:43 AM2/18/03
This may interest you both:

Tom Geschwender "ftp site for downloading Reader not working" 2/15/03 8:26am </cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de7d215/19>

Dman Jones

Feb 20, 2003, 1:09:35 PM2/20/03
Lisa and/or Bob,

Can you clarify your problem a bit more, perhaps with steps? The description above is a bit confusing: opening a PDF file shouldn't make the Download Manager run. The download manager is just a utility for downloading the Reader.

-Dave

Dman Jones

Feb 20, 2003, 1:07:15 PM2/20/03
Lisa and/or Bob,

Can you clarify your problem? The Download Manager is a utility for downloading the Reader - it shouldn't open when you open a PDF file. Can you specify the steps you took more precisely?

Mij Strebor

Feb 21, 2003, 5:34:51 PM2/21/03
Dman, I've had the same problem. Here are my details:

Running W2K SR3, Reader 5.1.

Acrobat reader is not running. Click on any .pdf file and get the dialog with title "Adobe Download Manager" and message "The download cannot continue. Error parsing voucher."

The Acrobat Reader is now started, but the selected file has not been opened. Reader is now usable. HOWEVER! The selected file has disappeared! Gasp!

On the other hand, if Reader is first opened and the (restored backup) is opened from the menu bar, the file is fine and readable. If I now close Reader and double-click on the .pdf file I just had open... Error parsing voucher, etc.

The problem is somewhere in the handling of the message to launch and open a file.

To clean up, today I have uninstalled 5.1, removed all Adobe directories, and cleaned the registry. (Uninstall left about 50 entries; ugh.) Then download and install 5.1 with all add-ons. The problem still occurs.

Thanks,
Jim

Dman Jones

Feb 27, 2003, 7:52:02 PM2/27/03
Jim,

Which browser are you using?

The problem does seem to be related to an incorrect file type association. Does this happen for any pdf file? Can you open the file successfully from within Reader?

-Dave

Dman Jones

Feb 27, 2003, 8:33:51 PM2/27/03
Jim,

Try checking/changing the PDF file type association (in Windows Explorer select Tools -> Folder Options then select the File Types tab and scroll down to PDF and see what app is associated with this extension).

-Dave

Ron Groussman

Mar 2, 2003, 3:54:10 AM3/2/03
When trying to download Acrobat Reader 5.1 to a new Windows XP (home) system, I received the "Adobe Download Manager", but couldn't download the Reader. Received error message: "The download cannot continue. Error Parsing Voucher.". Any advice for a novice?

Ron

Theresa Blatner

Mar 6, 2003, 2:20:08 AM3/6/03
I was getting the same message. I hadn't even had the program downloaded yet. I read that you might need a different download manager or browser. I downloaded "GetRight Download" and it worked just fine.

Theresa

christopher galbreath

Mar 15, 2003, 12:45:34 PM3/15/03
I think I have a solution. Go into the file extensions section of folder options and change the association of .xpdf or any derivative of .pdf to the reader, instead of the buggy download manager, and it should work.

Chris

christopher galbreath

Mar 15, 2003, 12:42:58 PM3/15/03
I figured out a solution to the parser error. Maybe someone else has already but...

Go into the file associations section of folder options, and change the file association of .xpdf to the reader, instead of the buggy download manager. do the same thing for any other derivatives of the .pdf extensions. It seems to work great. Let anyone else in this thread know. I'm not sure how to do that.

Chris