MAX links?

Raymond Camden

Nov 4, 2010, 2:46:25 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
During MAX this year I was managing the CF Unconference so I was only
able to attend one session - but what were folks favorite sessions?
I'm watching this one now:

Camera, GPS, and Accelerometer: Tapping into Device Features with Adobe AIR
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2010-develop/camera-gps-and-accelerometer-tapping-into-device-features-with-adobe-air/

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master

Email    : r...@camdenfamily.com
Blog      : www.coldfusionjedi.com
AOL IM : cfjedimaster

Keep up to date with the community: http://www.coldfusionbloggers.org

Charlie Griefer

Nov 4, 2010, 3:00:29 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
Seconding this request (for the same reason).

I need to start developing a mobile app shortly.  Primary target is the iPhone, but there's absolutely no reason to not want to be able to deploy to Android as well.  I was originally going to do jQTouch or jQuery mobile and phonegap it, but now my curiosity is really piqued about what I can do with AIR.  Especially things like the "native" functionality such as GPS/accelerometer, and maps (specifically, find all locations nearest to me within an 'x' mile radius).

So, sort of a naive question (and one that clearly shows I haven't even started googling yet)... with AIR, do I have all of those "native" capabilities available to me?
--
Charlie Griefer
http://charlie.griefer.com/

I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my life. I love my wife. And I wish you my kind of success.

Raymond Camden

Nov 4, 2010, 3:12:35 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
In the link I showed you he specifically demos both GPS and
accelerometer. I'm going to ping him to get his slides/code up on
Adobe TV.

Charlie Griefer

Nov 4, 2010, 3:30:43 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
Maps?  ability to say, "find all stores within x miles"? :)

(yes, I'll google at some point.  still in "catching up from MAX" mode @ work and... well, I saw an opening to just go ahead and ask the question :D

Raymond Camden

Nov 4, 2010, 3:48:14 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
The 'find within x miles' is a math problem. I'm researching it now
for Adobe Groups. So in theory that part is a non-issue for AIR.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Charlie Griefer

Charlie Griefer

Nov 4, 2010, 3:58:24 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
Aye, but I meant less the actual calculation of figuring it out (I apologize for not being clear, lack of sleep and all), as much as the displaying it using google maps like a native app would.

But I'm figuring that should work fine, since it's just HTML and JS.  So, nevermind.  Lucidity moment there :)

Looking forward to getting started with this.  I think building a multi-OS mobile app in AIR is going to be much cooler than the route I had previously planned.

Paul Robertson

Nov 4, 2010, 4:32:00 PM11/4/10
to adobe-air-...@googlegroups.com
Unlike AIR for Android, AIR for iPhone doesn't (yet) have any way to display HTML and JavaScript. Apple doesn't allow apps to include their own version of WebKit (which would be the most straightforward way for an AIR/iPhone app to use HTML/JS). The AIR team added the StageWebView to AIR/Android as a lightweight HTML/JS container (with very limited communication to the rest of the app).

In either case, you can't build the whole app in HTML/JS like you can with AIR for the desktop.

In terms of the specific case of Google Maps, there is a Google Maps ActionScript api that developers have used to include Google Maps functionality in their ActionScript AIR/Android apps (and in AIR desktop apps). I don't think I've ever heard of someone using it for an AIR/iOS app but that doesn't mean nobody's tried, of course. Admittedly, most of the time I've heard about the API it's because people are complaining about the performance, but from what I understand that's a bug on the Google API side rather than an AIR issue, and there's a bug people are voting for on the Google Code page for the maps ActionScript api.

Paul

Javier Julio

Nov 5, 2010, 10:22:58 PM11/5/10
to Adobe AIR for Devices
@Paul,

You've heard of one now! I will be using Google Maps in an AIR for
Android app and expect to see many, many more from others! ;)
Something like maps is vital to mobile devices so we should see more
of it coming up in mobile AIR apps.

Yes, there is a massive issue with performance, not just AIR for
Android but in general. Obviously, the big deal breaker here is for
Android since something like Google Maps really won't be as useful on
the desktop as it would be on a mobile device. The problem is if your
app is anything more than just a single Map, fogehaboutit, you will
have a 10-15 second startup delay. In my case, the map appears on app
startup so my Nexus One shows a black screen for about 10-15 seconds
before the map appears. If you don't on startup but you show the map
at a later point, at that time is when the delay will kick in.

This is incredibly serious issue as it doesn't allow any of us to
suitably use Google Maps for Android. Please star the following code
issue: http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2750
So far we have 17 stars and we'll need many more before it gets
noticed sadly.