[ADMB Users] After install ADMB-ide-440-2, 'admb' is not recognized ....

Saang-Yoon

Nov 29, 2010, 1:27:40 PM11/29/10
to us...@admb-project.org
Hi.

I installed ADMB-ide-440-2. But when I type
admb xxx.tpl

it does not compile and link. The automatic message says that 'admb'
is not recognized as an internal or external command, ....

Any idea?

Thank you,

Saang-Yoon

Arni Magnusson

Nov 29, 2010, 1:59:41 PM11/29/10
to Saang-Yoon, us...@admb-project.org
Hi Saang-Yoon,

This problem is briefly explained on page 18 of the user manual
(http://admb-project.org/community/editing-tools/admb-ide/manual/at_download/file).

First, locate the directory containing admb.bat. On my computer it's
c:/admb/gcc440/bin.

Now open a Dos shell and type:

echo %PATH%

This lists the directories where Windows looks for commands that you type
in the Dos shell. When I work with ADMB in the Dos shell, I type something
equivalent to

set ADMB_HOME=c:/admb/gcc440
set PATH=c:/gnu/gcc440/bin;c:/admb/gcc440/bin

which defines a minimal PATH to make the shell recognize the ADMB
compilation commands. A longer PATH can be problematic when compiling ADMB
models.

The most likely problem is that your PATH variable either doesn't contain
the c:/admb/gcc440/bin directory at all, or it contains extra spaces or
other garbage that confuses Windows. The 'set' command above changes the
PATH temporarily, only for that shell session. There are many ways to
modify the PATH permanently in Windows, none of them very graceful. One
way is described on page 18 in the ADMB-IDE user manual.

Arni

Ian Taylor

Nov 29, 2010, 1:35:55 PM11/29/10
to Saang-Yoon, us...@admb-project.org
Hi Saang-Yoon,
Arni seems to not have been able to get the IDE to get everything right on every computer, but he cleverly included a troubleshooting section of the manual. This is from page 18 of the ADMB-IDE manual:
Compilation commands are not recognized
The PATH environment variable needs to point to the directories containing the compilation
programs (tpl2cpp.exe, tpl2rem.exe), scripts (admb.bat, adcomp.bat, adlink.bat), and
the g++.exe program. Likewise, the ADMB_HOME environment variable needs to point to the
main ADMB directory. Windows environment variables can be set using Dos scripts like
c:/autoexec.bat and c:/~/bat/gcc440.bat, or by right-clicking the My Computer icon, then
Properties ! Advanced ! Environment Variables ! User variables ! New. Many
Linux distributions include only the C component of GCC, so users need to install the optional
C++ component before using ADMB.
In Windows you can check ADMB_HOME with a command like echo %ADMB_HOME%, which on my computer produces the following:
c:\>echo %ADMB_HOME%
c:\ADMB\gcc440
-Ian

Ben Bolker

Nov 29, 2010, 1:34:58 PM11/29/10
On 11/29/2010 01:27 PM, Saang-Yoon wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I installed ADMB-ide-440-2. But when I type
> admb xxx.tpl
>
> it does not compile and link. The automatic message says that 'admb'
> is not recognized as an internal or external command, ....
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Saang-Yoon

We probably need more information (operating system), but have you tried

./admb xxx.tpl

?

Arni Magnusson

Nov 29, 2010, 6:25:47 PM11/29/10
to us...@admb-project.org
It turns out that the limited-user-account problem had already been
diagnosed (problem setting env vars) and solved (set env vars after
installation) in a previous discussion on the User List:

http://groups.google.com/group/admb-users/browse_thread/thread/5901c52c0cf2e02d

I have added a couple of sentences to the ADMB-IDE manual about limited
user accounts (just uploaded the revised manual to
http://admb-project.org/community/editing-tools/admb-ide/manual/at_download/file)
and Ian Taylor is also reorganizing the FAQ entries to make the current
and previous discussions easy to find.

Arni