Reg: Deployment Of Application

manohar.27888

Feb 18, 2014, 10:29:25 AM2/18/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
 Hi ,

I am trying to deploy my ADF application using ANT scripts where my client requirement follows as:

We are using some tool to checkout the code from source control to a UNIX box and they would run the build.xml. The problem is we are not going to have Jdeveloper instance available in the Unix box. I am not able to implement script by using Ojdeploy due to this reason. I have tried building script using JdevLibsforAnt extension and I am facing issues such as not able to create tak-flow-registry.xml, some of the jar issues. Is there any approach to achieve this functionality.

What is the best approach for implementing ANT scripts in this kind of scenarios where an external tool tries to checkout the code from source control, compile and deploy.

Regards,
Manohar

John Flack

Feb 18, 2014, 12:25:59 PM2/18/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Moderator Hat on:
I was considering sending this post to the OTN forum, because of the "how do I do this?" flavor.  On the other hand, deployment strategy is very much within the scope of this group.  We've talked a bit about Maven support in JDeveloper, but the older Ant technology, is, I think, still more commonly used than Maven.

Brian Huff

Feb 18, 2014, 12:35:55 PM2/18/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Can't say what's "right," but here's what I've done in the past:

I sometimes need a "deployment server" that is different than the DEV, TEST or PROD boxes, with a full ANT/JDev environment. All builds would happen automatically on that server, then the EAR files would be moved in some way to the proper environment... at which point a different deployment script would run and put it into its proper home.

Most of the environment differences were hidden using standard best practices like JNDI names for the database connections... But for other things -- like EBS_APPS_ID values, and some SOAP endpoints -- we had to build those into the XML files directly. I checked template files into SVN then used ANT script to copy/paste the proper values depending on the build target.

Kind of messy, but it worked!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Brian 'Bex' Huff
Chief Software Architect
Bezzotech - THE Premier Oracle WebCenter Solution Provider
Email: b...@bezzotech.com
Mobile: +1.612.227.6057
Twitter: @bex

linkedin_logo_small   facebook_logo_small

Designing a Content Management or Enterprise 2.0 strategy? This may help:
 http://bezzotech.com/library.html
image002.png

Jan Vervecken

Feb 18, 2014, 1:39:03 PM2/18/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi Manohar

- about "... The problem is we are not going to have Jdeveloper instance available in the Unix box. I am not able to implement script by using Ojdeploy due to this reason. ..."
-- Please reconsider to use ojdeploy because that is the only documented/supported approach (I am aware of).
see "9.8.3 How to Deploy from the Command Line Using Ant"
at http://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1212/jdev/OJDUG/deploying_apps.htm#BACCHFBF
saying "Command line deployment requires a JDeveloper installation, ..."
see "2.2 Overview of the Reference Continuous Integration Environment"
at http://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1212/core/MAVEN/intro_ref_ede.htm#A1001807
saying "For example, ojdeploy is required to build Oracle ADF applications."
see "4.5 Deploying Using Scripts and Ant"
at http://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1212/adf/ADFAG/deploy.htm#ADFAG20592
saying "You create a script to deploy the application using the ojdeploy command ..."

- about "... I have tried building script using JdevLibsforAnt extension and I am facing issues such as not able to create tak-flow-registry.xml, some of the jar issues. ..."
-- The JDevLibsForAnt extension provides a way to automatically maintain an Ant build file with information about a JDeveloper project.
(see http://consideringred.com/files/oracle/jdevlibsforant/v12.7.0/README.html )
The JDevLibsForAnt extension is in no way intended to replace ojdeploy.
The JDevLibsForAnt extension could still be used to help maintain a classpath needed to run (JUnit) tests using Ant (in a CI environment) similar to running those tests in JDeveloper.

success
Jan Vervecken

Aino

Feb 21, 2014, 7:29:21 AM2/21/14
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi Manohar,

I agree with Jan that ojdeploy requires a JDeveloper installation, both for ant or maven as build tool.
That's why we install JDeveloper on our build server.
And yes, I had numerous 'religious' discussions if this is the ideal situation or not and that the build server should remain clean as clean as possible. I prefer the pragmatic approach: if we need JDeveloper (or another tool, e.g. soapui) on the build server, so be it...

I think it's a waste of time and money to not allow that and to spend time to create an obscure script to 'emulate'  a jdeveloper installation.

Good luck.
Ciao

Aino