out-of-the-box warnings when running an ADF application in JDeveloper

Jan Vervecken

Jun 5, 2014, 3:10:14 PM6/5/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi

Have you ever noticed that there are several out-of-the-box warnings when running an ADF application in JDeveloper?

Some of them occur for even the simplest straightforward ADF applications [1].

I wonder how to best interpret these warnings.

If the warning is there it must have some importance, otherwise is should not be there.

So, one approach could be to consider a warning as something that you better try to do something about.
Taking the warning into consideration, making some change, so that the warning is no longer there.

Another approach could be to consider those warnings as something you can ignore because they don't seem to have a significant impact.
But, how then will you recognize/distinguish a warning (among the other warnings) that does have an impact on what you are trying to achieve?

Any suggestions?

And if you choose not to ignore warnings, the question is [1] what can be done to "resolve" them, make them go away?

- [1] see e.g. these JIRA issues
-- "12c : Warning : The sensors should be created in a valid ADFContext."
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-228
-- "12c : Warning : No Main-Class defined in the manifest file of Java Module: empty.jar."
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-229
-- "12c : Warning : WLServlet annotation is deprecated ... AdsServlet"
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-230
-- "12c : Warning : The skin selector AFIndexedIcon is not a Skin Icon Object"
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-231

many thanks
Jan Vervecken

Blake Sullivan

Jun 5, 2014, 4:26:56 PM6/5/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
This is how I would interpret these:

- [1] see e.g. these JIRA issues
-- "12c : Warning : The sensors should be created in a valid ADFContext."
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-228
This is saying that the ADFContext shouldn’t be lazily initialized because bad things can happen, but they probably won’t.  I suspect that this is as a result of logging and if so, this is really a misdesign of the ADFLogger that the ADF Team needs to fix.

-- "12c : Warning : No Main-Class defined in the manifest file of Java Module: empty.jar."
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-229
Not sure about this

-- "12c : Warning : WLServlet annotation is deprecated ... AdsServlet"
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-230
This is just saying that the AdsServlet implementation needs to move from the old WLS-specific annotations to the standard annotations.  Nothing bad will happen until the day comes when WLS removes support for the old annotation, the the ADF Faces team should fix this.

-- "12c : Warning : The skin selector AFIndexedIcon is not a Skin Icon Object"
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-231
See this JIRA issue.  What version of ADF are you using?

— Blake Sullivan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

Jan Vervecken

Jun 6, 2014, 1:31:39 AM6/6/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply Blake Sullivan.

So, you say some warnings should be fixed by Oracle.

Do you have any specific bug numbers to share in the respective ADFEMG JIRA issues?

- about "... What version of ADF are you using? ..."
-- JDeveloper 12.1.2.0.0 as mentioned at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-231

thanks
Jan Vervecken

Blake Sullivan

Jun 6, 2014, 1:32:39 AM6/6/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Definitely the last two should.

— Blake Sullivan

Jan Vervecken

Jun 10, 2014, 10:00:47 AM6/10/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi

Today, I came across the blog post at https://blogs.oracle.com/groundside/entry/dealing_with_adf_faces_30214

There Duncan Mills writes
"... Nothing annoys me more that constantly repeating messages that obscure the stuff I really want to see ..."

This remark seems related to this discussion topic.

It could be interesting if Duncan could share his perspective on how to best deal with the out-of-the-box warnings in general?

thanks
Jan Vervecken

Eileen Young

Nov 23, 2015, 11:16:16 AM11/23/15
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
Hi Everybody,

I am using ADF 12.1.3.0  since 9/2014. And applied 3 patches (p18777339_121300_Generic.zip, p20587347_121300_Generic.zip, and p20838345_121300_Generic.zip
) since ADF 12.1.3.0 installation. I am still having following error messages in the JDeveloper log:

- [1] see e.g. these JIRA issues
-- "12c : Warning : The sensors should be created in a valid ADFContext."
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-228

-- "12c : Warning : WLServlet annotation is deprecated ... AdsServlet"
at https://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-230

Looks like above issues were closed, how can I request to re-open those issues for ADF 12.1.3 ?

Thanks,

Eileen