ADF Skill Level

Sten Vesterli

Jan 20, 2014, 11:35:19 PM1/20/14
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've just sent out the first issue of my ADF Mastery newsletter and my topic is ADF skill levels. I'm using five levels as we discussed at OpenWorld some years ago: Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Master and Artisan.

Below is the list of topics that I think an ADF Developer should know at each level. Please comment on items you find are placed at the wrong level ("you really need to know this as an apprentice", "this topic is only relevant to a master", etc.), as well as any major topics you would put on such a list.

If you like, you can rate yourself on my site www.adfmastery.com and see what level others think they have ;-)

Best regards

Sten Vesterli
Web: www.adfmastery.com | Blog: www.vesterli.com | Mail: st...@vesterli.com | Twitter: @adfmasterytwitter.com/adfmastery

----------

Novice

A novice knows the basics of a technology or skill, but has no project experience with it. This is normally the highest level that can be achieved through self-study and “playing” with a technology

       Build default Entity Objects and Application Modules

       Build View Objects on one Entity Object

       Create LOVs

       Build pages with drag-and-drop and simple components

Apprentice

An apprentice knows the most commonly used parts of a technology or skill and has worked with it on projects with an external “customer”. The apprentice normally works under guidance of a master.

       Declarative validation rules

       Building bounded task flows

       Use task flow parameters

       Use common components

Journeyman

A journeyman is familiar with all normal aspects of a technology or skill and has worked with it on several projects. The journeyman can work unsupervised, but will normally not supervise apprentices.

       Understand data bindings

       Create and use ADF Libraries

       Use resource bundles

       Programmatic validation rules

       Build page templates

       Build task flow templates

       Use Partial Page Rendering

       Simple backing beans

       Use all Rich Client components

       Use common Data Visualization components

       Implement ADF Security

Master

A master is familiar with every aspect of a technology or skill and has used it for a long time or on many projects. The master can serve as technical lead and supervises apprentices.

       Understand ADF BC tuning

       Understand ADF lifecycle

       Build programmatic business components

       Build declarative components

       Implement client-side events

       Complex backing beans

       Use contextual events

       Use all Data Visualization components

       Use MDS Customization

       Skinning

Artisan

An artisan has a very deep knowledge of a technology or skill as well as an understanding of its relation to other technologies or skills. The artisan has used it for a long time or on many projects and can give good conference presentations on the topic.

       Understand all public BC APIs

       Understand how to modify the ADF lifecycle