40 ear deployed on weblogic

ADFVenOT

May 1, 2015, 10:11:51 AM5/1/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

First of all a warm greeting, I am programmer Jdeveloper since 2010, I participated in major projects in Latin America although I know of the changes and concepts of good practice, I recently received a request for a diagnosis of a WebLogic Server mode pre -production at whose request are I conducting tests of an application, to begin reviewing think it's a mistake for managing connection pool after verifying that it was properly configured the data source, I stand in deployments and see with surprise that there at least 40 .ear deployed files, when I wonder why I say the architect ordered separate application for each of the menu options of the application, however, when I check at least one of the applications I see that everyone is configured and deployed as a separate workspace, they are not deployed as ADF libraries and reused in a major project, even increasing the values ​​of the JVM and taking it to higher values ​​the server runs out of resources in the JVM with just 4 users connected, and not only that, when you restart the instance lasts up to 40 minutes to lift, I have now suggested changes regarding the structure of the application including:

Main option
1. Grouping entire project in one main project and use version control to integrate the entire project in a single application.

Secondary option
2. Grouping all options in subsystems and deploy ADF libraries reused as a main workspace.

Last option
3. Last but not least, use JHeadstart to implement a separate but integrated platform.

Your valuable comments would be helpful.

Thank you very much.

Alejandro Tovar Lanz

May 1, 2015, 11:05:02 AM5/1/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I believe that your architect was after the idea of having a decouple system whereas should a change request be needed on one of the app modules (menu options), then you wouldn't need to redeploy the whole application but instead, you just redeploy that menu option. However, I am not too sure the implementation was a good one. It looks like each ear file has its own resources allocated, hence with only 4 users the weblogic server crashes.

You should take a shot to the idea of deploying each ear file as a shared library and then use them in your main application. I believe this is your second option.

Also, you should consider is realistically, how often are this 'menu options' are going to change in a given time? Some times, architects add extra complexity that is just not worth it even though it seems 'best practice' and whatnot. Best practices should be assessed depending on your business. If you find out that these libraries are not likely to change over the time, then your first option wouldn't harm. But then, you will be coupling the whole system within one application.

Hope this help.

Alejandro Tovar Lanz
____________________

       Oracle Webcenter & ADF
                Consultant

       M: 0779 - 2482387
       W: http://oralution.co.uk

____________________

this is to avoid signature trimming. Please ignore.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ADF Enterprise Methodology Group" group.

ADFVenOT

May 1, 2015, 11:51:26 AM5/1/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Alejandro,

Thanks for your reply, i understand the concept of architect and i think that is the idea, but WLS dont understand that because effectively each ear use jvm resources by separate, additionally the navigation dont have security, they call remote task flow and if i click url in other session the app dont validate session user and permit manipulate records.

Now i don't  review the entire app, i dont know how him application manipulate the states of objects if i want use a VO in other module i can't reuse records in cache for example.

Many regards,

Florin Marcus

May 3, 2015, 3:14:06 AM5/3/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
It worth mentioning you can use ADF Shared Libraries without downtime during deployments:

fakhri.kharrat

May 4, 2015, 8:25:20 AM5/4/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think you need to redeploy all your 40 ears using ADF Library and use them in one single entrance point using a specific ADF Architecture patterns describe by Chris Muir : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJz3HAsCPVaSemIjFk4lfokNynzp5Euet

good luck
--
Fakhri Kharrat
Mobile : +968 99 160 533

ADFVenOT

May 4, 2015, 8:25:21 AM5/4/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Florin,

That it's my point, will should use ADF Libraries as shared,

Regards,

Mr. Howard Hill

May 4, 2015, 8:25:21 AM5/4/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Hi there
I agree with your options of 1 and 2,  but how big are the ears as 40 compared to one or two.

Is there no Middleware,  ejb or hibernate etc or these are just Web front end.

in general I think you have not presented the main issue,  4 users killing a jvm is strange.  do a heapdump analysis to find out why this is.  it may just be a memory leak. while I don't like the architecture I see no link to a jvm memory issue.

what's the memory size and us it 64 bit?
can we spread the apps and multiple wlms?

ADFVenOT

May 4, 2015, 9:49:28 AM5/4/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi Howard,

You're right, i configured WLDF on Weblogic Server and i collect information about this, but i still wait for results, but for better diagnostic first will reorganize the projects and redeployment and after go to profiler the application

Many Thanks

Jean-Marc Desvaux

May 4, 2015, 11:05:48 AM5/4/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
If I understand well the initial architecture pattern choice for your 40 applications is what Chris Muir calls the Pillar architecture ( https://youtu.be/0CicgZffzqg?list=PLJz3HAsCPVaSemIjFk4lfokNynzp5Euet ).

Assuming that your resource problem is not due to a memory leak or poor development/practice, I don't think the limited resources should drive your architecture choice. Instead you should add the necessary resources to support the architecture choice that best fits your business case. Either add servers and deploy your 40 apps on all (the choice of a pillar architecture implying proper session state mgmt across the apps if needed and appropriate sso implementation, which should have been taken care off by the dev team anyway) or add memory/CPUs if needed on your single server.

As for the Pillar Architecture choice, I personally believe it's a good choice for maintainability and scalability when you have many applications with few or no functional intersections between them.

Jean-Marc

ADFVenOT

May 5, 2015, 8:45:49 AM5/5/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Jean,

Additionally, excuse me that software is an insurance app and depend and intersect full between.

Have a nice Day!.

ADFVenOT

May 5, 2015, 8:45:49 AM5/5/15
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Jean,

Thanks, your point of view it's very good, i know a little about of Pillar Arquitecture, but i think is innecesary in this case, this pattern have a pros and cons like other patterns. and require more knowledge about adf, J2EE and Middleware.

This team, dont have java expertise.

Many Regards.